Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've stated earlier that I know nothing about his team. He was riding solo at the time, btw.

I'm familiar with Helen's and have nothing bad to say about that shop shop.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting this here in the normal room instead of the LR where I'd surely have
missed it. it's been pretty entertaining.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling discussions are not tolerated in the LR.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pattersonpaul [ In reply to ]
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so disappointed in all of you!!! After fire training for 4 hours, I come back to this!!! Too much civility, start flinging shit at each other!!

And where is the animated gif of michael Jackson eating popcorn!!!

I told you this would be a good one!
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
I'm so disappointed in all of you!!! After fire training for 4 hours, I come back to this!!! Too much civility, start flinging shit at each other!!

And where is the animated gif of michael Jackson eating popcorn!!!

I told you this would be a good one!

I'm going out on a limb and saying the subject of this thread will show up tomorrow with his
account of what went down. Then all will be good throughout the holiday weekend.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Dan, this thread just shows the reasons bikes have such a reputation, IMO. I could care less what the law is. A car is going to win over me any day. I have given the finger
enough times that I realize, all it takes is one driver who is a little off to end my life. Just not worth it. I try now when I ride to just believe that it is better to leave the cars alone.
If this means I have to ride a section slow, great. Or I have to stop, great. I do try to ride outside only early on Sunday mornings to have the least number of cars to deal with.
I just see nothing wrong with trying to lead by example while on my bike, rather than hide behind but the law which says I can do this so screw the cars.

You're a "gutter bunny" (in the words of Wanky, one of the "take the road" evangelists). That's OK.

But at some point there comes a tension between submitting to the preference and convenience of drivers and cycling safety. Sometimes taking the road is the *safest* thing to do, period. And in that case you're not "hiding behind the law," but using the law for the very purpose it was written. To exercise your right to freedom of safe movement over public roads.

Just where the line is drawn between "safety" and "let's not upset drivers" is widely contested. Even among experienced cyclists. I've had the same argument about Fiesta Island, which is far more conducive to "taking the road" with just a 25MPH speed limit, no shoulder or bike lane, and giant "sharrows" painted down the middle all the way around. A lot of cyclists still militantly deride other cyclists for not pulling over and teetering on the sandy right edge while cars almost literally brush by.....so they can go a bit further around the island.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
" I'm just trying to understand your reasoning/thoughts on this one..."

mind, i'm just looking at that one image. it looks like it gets a little iffy up ahead. if i'm going 25mph, or 22mph, i'm on the shoulder. if i'm going 43mph, i'm not inconveniencing vehicular traffic too much because i'm going at a speed fairly close to theirs. if i'm going 43mph on the shoulder and it DOES get dicey, i don't want to have to move into the lane very quickly, in an emergency, not knowing what's coming up on me in that lane.

Ok, I understand your reasoning...but, based on looking at Duffy's pic AND going through the streetview pics, I'm going to have to disagree on this.

I guess I prefer to save my "take the lane" cards for situations where allowing a motor vehicle to come alongside me would be inherently dangerous (i.e. little or no shoulder, substandard width lanes, cars parked along roadside and needing to stay out of the "door zone", etc.) I'm not seeing that being the case there.

I'm going to side with Duffy on this one. If the rider was riding out in the traffic lane along that stretch, he most likely was doing it to make some sort of point (I'm aware of the controversies going on along PCH recently)...but picking the wrong place to do that.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 20, 15 20:47
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"based on looking at Duffy's pic AND going through the streetview pics, I'm going to have to disagree on this."

i might adopt your opinion after looking at the street view. plus, i thought this was malibu canyon, not PCH. i was just writing based on the photo and the speed the fellow was going.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the similar facts stand between both you and el presidente, imho this simply boils down to another self-centered person not giving two shits about anyone else around them and causing a very hazardous situation. It could have been a car going 30mph there. I would say the same exact thing.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based of off the pics and info, I would take that shoulder every time, and if the conditions dictate it, go down at reduced speed.

Defensive riding is what saves your behind. You may think riding in the lane at 10-15 mph slower than the cars is defensive riding, but you'd be sorely mistaken. You simply are going to get run the heck over one of these days or sideswiped by someone who just notices you too late.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
Based of off the pics and info, I would take that shoulder every time, and if the conditions dictate it, go down at reduced speed.

Defensive riding is what saves your behind. You may think riding in the lane at 10-15 mph slower than the cars is defensive riding, but you'd be sorely mistaken. You simply are going to get run the heck over one of these days or sideswiped by someone who just notices you too late.

Pretty sure that applies to all riding on roads; you're always at risk of dying to an idiot/drunk driver.

I generally take the shoulder when possible but taking a downhill descent at 10mph below the speed limit is not that unreasonable. Pretty sure the OP broke more CA laws honking than the cyclist riding in the lane, btw.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am amazed that so many people seem to take the position "what he was doing was legal, so you can't criticize him for doing it". There are all sorts of things that we, as cyclists, are within our legal rights to do that are still poor choices.

I cannot say for certain what that entire stretch of road looks like, but based on what is in that picture there is no way in hell I would ever ride in the lane. If there is a shoulder like that, I am riding in it. If there is debris, or parked cars, I am riding accordingly. I only ride in the lane if there are no cars around or if there is absolutely no shoulder. Right or wrong, riding in the traffic lane when there is a shoulder like that right next to you is going to piss off 8 out of 10 drivers that pass you. It is about perception, not the law. I try to go out of my way not to piss off cars, even if I am within my legal rights to do so. Even if the driver is ignorant of the law in getting pissed, doing something that pisses them off encourages them to act more aggressively towards the next cyclist up the road and endangers that cyclist. I try not to encourage motorists to dislike cyclists because I hope the last cyclist they encountered before me did the same thing.

I get the bit about not wanting to have to ride conservatively on the descent because it is the fun part. I like 50 mph descents as much as anybody. But if I want to descend like that, I am going to find a stretch of road with nobody on it, and I am still going to stay as close to the white line as I can. I make as many mistakes as anybody and I am sure I have pissed of my fair share of drivers, but unless they throw something at me or swerve at me, they are getting a friendly wave and a smile. It is scary enough out there, lets not make it worse by pissing off all of the non-cyclists behind the wheel of 3,000 lb vehicles and then expecting them to understand that we were "within our legal right" to do so.

Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:

Unless it's since been changed, the posted speed limit is 45.

I would rather take the lane at that speed than try to dodge debris on the shoulder.

In the first post of this thread OP states the posted limit was 55mph.

Even if it was 45, I still stand by my comment. Most drivers go 5-10 over the posted limit. Going downhill that gap increases, which is why many cops sit at the bottom of hills with their radar guns.

I also just don't see the need to bomb the hills, its not worth it IMO. People died recently setting their parachute on fire for a stunt and also by wing-suiting. Noone to really blame but themselves for doing something reckless. Taking a hill on a bike at close to 45 and PLANNING on dodging cars or debris doesn't end well that "other" 10% of the time for the bike.

Any way you slice this, a bike loses to a car. Its been said a few times already: just because you can doesn't mean you should. Its just not smart especially on a road with high posted speed and during peak commute times.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
" I'm just trying to understand your reasoning/thoughts on this one..."

mind, i'm just looking at that one image. it looks like it gets a little iffy up ahead. if i'm going 25mph, or 22mph, i'm on the shoulder. if i'm going 43mph, i'm not inconveniencing vehicular traffic too much because i'm going at a speed fairly close to theirs. if i'm going 43mph on the shoulder and it DOES get dicey, i don't want to have to move into the lane very quickly, in an emergency, not knowing what's coming up on me in that lane.

Ok, I understand your reasoning...but, based on looking at Duffy's pic AND going through the streetview pics, I'm going to have to disagree on this.

I guess I prefer to save my "take the lane" cards for situations where allowing a motor vehicle to come alongside me would be inherently dangerous (i.e. little or no shoulder, substandard width lanes, cars parked along roadside and needing to stay out of the "door zone", etc.) I'm not seeing that being the case there.

I'm going to side with Duffy on this one. If the rider was riding out in the traffic lane along that stretch, he most likely was doing it to make some sort of point (I'm aware of the controversies going on along PCH recently)...but picking the wrong place to do that.

While I appreciate you taking "my side" here I think it strays away from the intent of my starting this thread. I'm not here to "win" an argument or put this up for a vote. This is not meant as a "trial" in the court of Slowtwitch. I really only wanted to reach out to the cyclist involved and hope to get him to reconsider his actions and act differently in the future. I am fully aware that taking the lane is technically legal. Walking into a crosswalk, even when a car is close approaching at 40 mph is also technically legal but not very safe.

His actions pissed me off, not as a driver of a vehicle but as a cyclist who has to deal with pissed off drivers. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who was pissed at this guy (there appeared to an exchange between him and the guy behind me as well). The guy behind might be the type of guy who will group all cyclists into the category of "unsafe asshole" or maybe he won't.

There are a lot of motorists who think cyclists shouldn't be on the roads at all, have no right to the roads and are a danger. Let's not give them ammunition for their arguments. Regardless of the "rightness" or "wrongness" of taking the lane, it APPEARED (and any reasonable person would agree) to be a dangerous move on his part.

I just want him and others to realize that their behavior has consequences beyond their own selves.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
In post #26 OP says bike lane/shoulder. So he acknowledges that it may not have been a dedicated "bike" lane. His premise still stands.

First, that was post #26. The original post simply said "bike lane" in order to make the point that some asshole rider had a perfectly good bike lane to use but instead arrogantly chose not to use it. There is no bike lane there. That is a fact. And the distinction between a road shoulder and a bike lane is one that is explicitly made in the California Vehicle Code. That is also a fact.

The OP also left out the fact that PCH is two lanes in both directions at that stretch of the road. That's a fact. This fact is important because its omission implies that the cyclist was brazenly occupying the sole lane available to other vehicles (which BTW he is entitled to under California law). But he was not doing so. That is a fact.

The OP also omitted that this incident occurred on a steep downhill. Another fact. Reading his initial post, you get the impression that the cyclist was just meandering down PCH in the middle of the road for no reason. But most experienced cyclists will take the lane when descending over 40mph, because hitting a rut, rock or glass at that speed is much more dangerous than doing so at 20mph.

I agree with you 100% that the rest is a matter of he said/he said and I did my best to present it as such. But the facts that we do know, in my opinion, support the cyclist's right to take the lane in this circumstance. And whether or not this was the case is the premise of the original post.

You're making assumptions and adding emotions to his posts. Sometimes the curtains are really just blue instead of representing depression.

I'm not trying to get into a technical debate over when things were said. Duffy has been transparent through the whole thread and never tried to change his story or call names. He referenced entitled "assholes" as a stereotype that most motorists DO in fact apply to cyclists. As far as I see it, Duffy's OP was straightforward and non-biased and its very clear his intent was to draw some attention to particularly dangerous behavior.

By stating "the right lane" and that he "changed lanes" I think most of us understand it was a two lane road. You made assumptions based on his word choices for the highways, just as the contextual clues of his wording painted a pretty clear picture for a double lane road in his driving direction.

I don't think we care that it was a hill at all. The whole debate is over the cyclists choices in riding manner as it pertains to safety. If it was straight and flat the same arguments apply. If he had other means, then he should be riding in a manner that doesn't endanger himself or create a bad situation for others (cyclists or vehicles). He had a choice as to how fast he wanted to ride and he had a choice as to where to ride. He chose the middle of a 55mph vehicle lane.

In fact, what if there was NO shoulder or bike lane? Where is it written that debris/potholes/dead animals/rocks/broken glass/etc can't exist on the main road as well? Bottom line: no cyclist can ever ever ever be 100% certain of the road ahead. So the SAFE thing to do, is not put yourself in a position that you can't handle. If you can't defensively swerve at 43mph then you shouldn't be riding 43mph whether it's the right lane, shoulder, middle of the night or 12 noon. THAT is what we are arguing, that the cyclist made poor choices that weren't safe and reinforced a stereotype most of us would like to see squashed so we can share the road with less fear. The circumstances of the hill just exacerbated it.

OP made his intentions clear from the get go: awareness and quite less colorfully than he usually does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
His actions pissed me off, not as a driver of a vehicle but as a cyclist who has to deal with pissed off drivers. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who was pissed at this guy (there appeared to an exchange between him and the guy behind me as well). The guy behind might be the type of guy who will group all cyclists into the category of "unsafe asshole" or maybe he won't.
Many drivers are pissed off at cyclists regardless of how they behave. Anything that causes a moments hesitation or requires the driver to turn his wheel and change lanes will piss off many drivers even though it's fundamentally irrational.

Sadly, no matter how well we behave as cyclists we're still going to get mowed down, not by pissed off drivers but by texting, negligent or incompetent drivers. Injury to cyclists is seldom as a result of pissed off drivers. Yes, we occasionally get shot by psychopaths but those events are rare relative to the aforementioned bad drivers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ridden plenty on that stretch of PCH and never had trouble going down that hill on the shoulder there (was before things like Strava KOMs existed).
Just takes some practice and attention to pick your line, and it's not that you train sick descending skills on that shot.

This incident and the responses just show how myopic one gets when one takes himself too serious....be it in a car or on a bike.
Turns the weaklings or borderliners into Jackos.

Rider in question should ask Helen's Cycles to sponsor him with some wheel/tire/tube combos that are suitable for training rides on THE pch (and maybe some lobster gloves).

If he admitted that he had the wrong gear or had pushed too hard on his ride so that he was barely able to hold a straight line?

That would be excuses I would be able to understand.
Last edited by: windschatten: May 20, 15 22:34
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Many drivers are pissed off at cyclists regardless of how they behave. Anything that causes a moments hesitation or requires the driver to turn his wheel and change lanes will piss off many drivers even though it's fundamentally irrational.

Sadly, no matter how well we behave as cyclists we're still going to get mowed down, not by pissed off drivers but by texting, negligent or incompetent drivers. Injury to cyclists is seldom as a result of pissed off drivers. Yes, we occasionally get shot by psychopaths but those events are rare relative to the aforementioned bad drivers.

And if I had my head down that dude would be dead. Not so if he wasn't taking the lane.

When I ride I take steps to minimize the probably of getting in a collision with a car. When it's car vs bike collision bike loses every time. Not everyone pays attention while driving. WE ALL KNOW THAT. So don't you think you'd be less likely to get hit by an inattentive driver if you stay out of traffic lanes on a busy highway?

Is our right to take the lane worth dying for?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has been an entertaining read and also a reinforcement on how so many cyclists are douche bag assholes that contribute to people trying to run me down when I am within 6 inches of a pot hole strewn shoulder. I experience so much hate when I ride my bike, even when I stop at light and signs (if there are people there, I will go through signs if not, but not lights), I ride to the right as much as I can unless avoiding serious trouble (a six foot shoulder...hahaha...no serious trouble ever comes there if you have brakes...I have about a zero to six inch shoulder and can manage), and signal my intentions to drivers. Still, I will get buzzed within inches and have people turn right in front of me when I have the right of way. I grew up in Tucson and lived In LA for years...you have it so easy and yet so many of you are really this douchy? Pretty sad...out here you'd die, play it super safe, like 10% of your tolerances and you still may die. Feel free to act like a dick driver while you are in the safety of your car, just don't do it on your bike, don't make life harder (and I seriously mean harder to stay alive) for the rest of us cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You lucky buggers! As we say over here in West Yorkshire "you don't know you're born!". Christ, I would love a shoulder like that on any of the roads I ride on. Here are some of the roads that I ride all the time. And before you say "I wouldn't ride a road like that", let me tell you, if you wouldn't ride a road like that and you lived over here in the UK, you wouldn't ride at all.

You can imagine how much drivers enjoy sharing the roads with cyclists over here! If I had a shoulder like that one you posted on PCH I would live in it. Lucky sods ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I have no intention of getting into an Internet flame war with the OP or anyone else. But the facts are facts. When the OP describes a "bike lane" on this section of PCH, when there simply is no such thing, it calls into question the entire premise of his post. There is no bike lane there and I think most cyclists would take the lane when descending 42.9mph, when the shoulder is littered with glass and other dangerous debris and there are in fact 2 lanes so that any vehicles wishing to pass the cyclist may do so.

After reading 3/4 of this thread......hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How dare you people question my lane selection skills! I'll spam that silly site of yours again! Take THAT!!"

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

When I ride I take steps to minimize the probably of getting in a collision with a car. When it's car vs bike collision bike loses every time.
Is our right to take the lane worth dying for?

That's how I feel lately

With the four recent deaths in Atlanta (all within about a week's time) it certainly has been on my mind more than usual and as we see a lot more debate from the public (mostly hostile) toward cyclists on popular commute roads. Two of the cyclists that were killed were being safe and charges are filed against the drivers. So what keep playing out in my head like a bad song is, "Dead is dead." To the cyclists that were killed they were all fathers that now have left a single income mother with children in at least two of the cases. We (Atlanta) can debate all we want about cyclist's rights, but it is now beyond a worthy debate for the dead cyclist and the widow.

I've come close to hitting commuting cyclists myself on a couple of occasions and here I am preaching about "share the road" on my blog and have the state license plate on my car. To the ones I almost hit I do believe they have the right to be in the lane in front of me, but I have to admit that in early morning hours before the sun comes up and there is a sea of red brake and tail lights on cars it is sometimes very difficult to see that one little tiny red blinking light on the commuting cyclists. It just doesn't stand out enough and that is with me being as observant as I can be. On the two occasions where I have had close calls and missing the cyclists I simply wasn't expecting to see someone crazy enough to be on such a congested road during the morning commute. So even if I had hurt or killed these cyclists does it matter if it is my fault or if they have a right or if they veered in front of me or whatever else? Dead is dead

Last week we had vacation in Orange Beach and I used a route that crossed a fairly busy large bridge. It has a wide shoulder much like the picture and had some spots of glass and metal debris here and there. I could have veered out into the traffic lane to avoid this (bunny hopping at speed is a worthy skill for smaller pavement imperfections), but figured a $4 tube was not worth dying for or even a stupid Strava segment trying to race down the other side. I was lucky 4 of the days, but on the 5th day I did have to change a flat before leaving the condo. To me at least I would rather have changed the flat (took less than 5 minutes) than to have taken the risk of going out into traffic just because I have the right to use that lane. If anything these recent deaths has really made an impact that if I raise the risk even higher (because we are still at high risk anyway) that leaves my wife with a lot of problems. She is terrified enough every time I go out that I am not going to come back. It is not fair to her for me to raise the risk even more just because I want to press my rights to use the roads.

I guess this is just a hot topic for me lately and in a good way because I want to be more careful and more courteous to drivers when I can.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: May 21, 15 4:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is shocking. I came into it assuming Duffy was going to be a hard headed jerk and the cycling club president was going to be rational and it has been almost the exact opposite. Duffy, good on you for taking the high ground here. I have found I've agreed with just about everything you've posted in this thread. The pics and streetview would 100% have me on the shoulder at almost any speed and more to the point the need as cyclists to at least consider which sets of actions are putting us in more or less danger. I think its funny that the knee-jerk reaction to your [pdy seemed to be some sort of cycling lobby "We have rights too!!" when your point wasn't about whether he had the right to do what he did, but whether there was a better choice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next