Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To answer your question about Slowtwitch Discount Coupon Code I have...
Quote | Reply
... Another question for you:

Last week an ST'er asked a good question: "Do you have a discount code for Slowtwitchers on your new e-commerce website?"

I told him I would have an answer in a half hour- but it took a week to re-address this question.

In reply to this question I have a question for you guys:

Would you, as Slowtwitchers, prefer we reflected prices comparable to other e-commerce retailers (i.e., slightly higher than what they are in some cases now on our website) and then get a discount from those prices exclusive to having a coupon code, or, would you prefer the prices were simply lower to begin with and had no coupon code.

Example:

Option one- Slowtwitch Coupon Code Discount Format:
You do a Google search on SuperKona 60 Race Wheels. You see several retailers selling them at prices that range from $1599.99 on the high side to $1349.99 on the low side. Now, If they are $1529.99 (a median price by our and Google's price research) but we could sell them at $1349.99 on our website and maintain our margin and get you a good price- BUT you would need to use your Slowtwitch coupon code to get the so-called "discounted" price of $1349.99 from the so-called "regular" price of $1529.99.

-OR-

Option two- Every one saves a few bucks here and there regardles of how they found us Format:
You do a Google search on SuperKona 60 Race Wheels. You see several retailers selling them at prices that range from $1599.99 on the high side to $1349.99 on the low side. Now, If they are $1529.99 (a median price by our and Google's price research) but we could sell them at $1349.99 on our website and maintain our margin and get you a good price- everyone gets that price that shops on our site regardless of coupon codes.

Which option is more attractive?

Here's the factors we wrestle with:
  • We're here to make money: There is a certain margin we need to maintain to turn a viable, fair profit. I'm not driving a Ferrari and my house is modest so I am not getting rich off you guys. We need to make a fair profit off our efforts.
  • Sometimes things are cheaper largely because we may have what we feel is too much of it so we figure we need to take a hit on the margin, or some manufacturer already did take a hit on it for us and passed on some discounted wholesale price to us- which is reflected in the sale price we pass on.
  • It strikes me that advertising what amounts to a phoney "discount" is misleading. I mean, what good is a discount if is off some higher price than what things would normally be sold at?

I'm all in favor of Slowtwitch exclusive sales and the like. I am confused about how to limit it to Slowtwitch people only. Another issue we deal with is that some vendors are very restrictive about what prices are advertised in compliance with their dealer agreements. We need to respect those rules to maintain our relationships with them.

So, what do you guys think is fair that can also actually be implemented? I would really be interested in your input and ideas.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: To answer your question about Slowtwitch Discount Coupon Code I have... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doscount coupons are nice, but...

The whole Safeway Club Card thing irritates the heck out of me.

So just post your prices, whatever they are. And either every one gets them, or no one does. I think we have enough exclusivity in the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: To answer your question about Slowtwitch Discount Coupon Code I have... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark them at the price you want the most people to buy them at. I would wager you will have more sales with the lower price than offering a discount code to a couple triathletes on this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I haven't bought from your website(and actually didn't ask your wife for a slowtwitch discount when I was in your store on the way back to Canada from New York City), but it would seem to me that the coupon would be your best way to maintain your dealer agreements.

I guess the big question would be how much online business you would get from non-ST people. I have no idea how much that would be, and if it is going to be fairly significant, then you would have to weigh that against lost potential sales. I think I'm not far off in saying online shopping is quite price-sensitive. Could you do a combination of an outright ST discount, and then have a smaller "website" discount on a given order? So you're not advertsiing for example, a wetsuit at XX dollars in violation of your agreement, but a person ends up paying less through the website discount. I'll be honest I don't know the logisitcs behind that, maybe it would be a nightmare.

I think how much ST vs non-ST business would be your litmus test. If you eliminate a lot of your browsing traffic with too high prices, then you may end up shooting yourself in the foot.

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met." Steve Prefontaine, Without Limits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply because I am a ST'er I should get a discount? A guy that counts to an Internet forum and post some "pjorn" here and there and bingo I have a discount!!!!
That sounds very nice but to me it is unecessary. Unecessary because I do not need such a discount to buy @ your shop (unfortunately I live in Canada so it is a different story). The information you share and provide (either via ST or your website) clearly indicates your passion and I know I will get a great service which is way more valuable than a discount.

Unfortunately we live in a world where we need to squeeze as much as possible everywhere and we no longer appreciate hard work.... so sad!!!!

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Geez, where was this question when I was finishing my MBA?... Would have been a could capstone exercise.

I presume you're asking because you really are uncertain. If so, I'd lean towards the use of coupons although in your example the delta between the prices is probably a bit too large. You know your particular customers better than me, but I'd suspect most internet customers are going to be somewhat price sensitive so I'd tend to want to be toward the bottom end; somewhere in the $1400-1450 range in the example you gave. Then again, when you're dropping close to 2k on an extra set of wheels I guess you're not exactly frugal either. (Might well want to advertise the MSRP if price is your selling feature)

But, many folks really, really want to get a discount. Slowtwitchers, regular customers, volume purchase types - you want to have somewhere to go. Before I moved, I had a regular tri-shop that I'd go to mostly for the quality of the owner and was not particularly price sensitive but sure as heck noticed / appreciated that he always knocked 10% off my bill. Don't know or really care if that made his price less than what I could have gotten elsewhere. That guy who asked for the ST discount is probably the same type that will always do a internet search for coupons too and he'll be much more likely to buy if he's pretty sure he's gotten a better deal than most. The coupon helps with that too.

Finally, the coupon code will help give you an idea of where you're generating business. Maybe use one code for ST, another for some other online advertising, etc. Heck, even put one on your own site for specials when you're trying to unload inventory.

But, if you don't and just mark it at the bottom all the time - then why do I want to buy now? Where to you go to increase sales (reduce inventory)? How do you reward favored customers?

--------------------------------------------
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." - Army General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think you would want to offer a discount to your easiest customers, the ones who buy from you without you tending to them. What is it worth to you for me to buying a widget at 3 in the morning while you are closed. You come into the store in the morning and you have made money while you slept. You also do not need to allocate labor to answering my 30 minutes of questions.

You should be able to know how much each $100 in sales costs you in labor, electricity, heat, fixtures, etc.

I am not telling you need to give me a discount because I am loyal to my lbs but I believe that giving a X% discount is free money to you because of the little amount of work it takes to acquire the business. You take your brick and mortar from serving a 20 mile radius to serving an infinite territory, with the only additional costs of maintaining your internet site (which I am sure is a relatively fixed cost anyway) and the additional cost of someone shipping the product. You should reward customers who are easy.

... but then again, I may be full of hooey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Option two is a loser. Drop it unless you are trying to liquidate inventory or you have a "loss leader" product. You are too small to compete just on price.

Option 1 might be a good way to create customer loyalty. In my experience, though, internet retail is a loser unless you are big enough to operate at the low gross margins, or have some product exclusivity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Which option is more attractive?"

They're both the same in the end, right? The discount route is just more work for everyone, and you'll probably lose a bunch of sales to non-STers who are comparing your prices to your competition.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sir Thomas:

How about a discount on the normal price based on how many posts one has made on Slowtwitch? At least it answers the question as to how to identify the ST customers.

Of course, it will also require anonymous posters to come out in the open (not necessarily a bad thing). And, it would increase the amount of nonsense on the forum by a 1000 fold. All good, no?

Of course, the logical end of this would require a price increase based on the number of Lavendar Room posts.

Just kidding.
;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I sent you a PM.

"Hey man hey man... your mom still make that Thai food?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, I would go with the low prices for everyone. Skip the gimmicky discount codes. I bought a tire fron BikesDirect(?) today because it was a good deal. You want to look cheap on a Google search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

It is obvious that both options lead to the same conclusion. However, the difference lie in the fact that one looks more of a bargain than the other. On top of that, by giving an exclusive ST coupon, you could actually ask slowman if he's able to give your shop some perks such as advertising? This seems fair as traffic increases(since coming here gets them a discount) and hence increasing the value of the advertising space for slowtwitch, in turn making additional revenue for slowtwitch. Sure this pans out nicely on paper but in practice, I got no idea.

Yes, everyone getting the cheapest price is nice but exclusivity makes people feel important and different hence creating a loyalty factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just have Aderhold list more stuff on the forums...those were some really good discounts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given your example I wouldn't care since I am paying the same price either way.

A better example might be:
1 - With coupon I pay $1329.99, without I pay $1529.99 (or maybe something more like $1399.99)

2 - No coupon and everyone pays $1349.99.

In that case I prefer option 1.

In the ideal seller world you sell to the non-price sensitive people at a higher price. Then sell to the price sensitive people with a coupon. You cover your fixed costs with the non-sensitive people and then you can afford to sell to the sensitive people on a tigher margin.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I will admit, it was me that asked. Figured I would ask, as I am buying some training wheels ( order placed), that I also need a saddle and some other misc stuff,and if a discount code was available I would get it all in one fail swoop. And I could always tell the wife, but I got a great discount when she opened the package to see what else I just had to get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either option allows for discretion on your part (which is your perogative since your the owner) but not how triports.com, perfomance.com, etc. base thier pricing models. They give either a flat 10-15% with a discount code or meet the best in-stock price of a competitor, period. If your pricing model (by web) is dependant on service and not price, which is appears to be (like a LBS) then I suspect the former will have consistantly better prices, since they have better buying power and advertising budgets (i.e. ppc, SEO with Google/Yahoo/Froogle/Googlebase,MSN, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd just stick with your normal pricing, which seems fair enough to me.

I don't know why Slowtwitchers should expect a discount from you, and I'm not sure how'd you limit that anyway. (I sort of think, given your contributions to the forum, that us Slowtwitchers should look to you as our first choice in online retailers, actually. Sort of a reverse Slowtwitch discount. I look at it very much the same way I look at paying slightly higher prices at my LBS. More than worth it.)

As for the second option- just cheaper prices- that's cool if you're still making a profit. But as John notes, you're probably too small to compete on price. That's a marketing/pricing decision that you're much better qualified to answer than any of us, but you should know that this option isn't going to satisfy the calls for a ST discount code. It doesn't matter that the price would be the same or cheaper- it would only matter that some people wouldn't think they were getting a "special deal."

I say you just continue to charge fair prices. Given the value you add to your products in general and on this forum, I don't think a fair price is any lower than the average retail price, myself.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it simple. No discount code. Less work for you and less work for the consumer.

----------------------------
http://DoodleBot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Take a read.

http://sloanreview.mit.edu/smr/issue/2007/summer/01/

Useful information.
Quote Reply
Re: To answer your question about Slowtwitch Discount Coupon Code I have... [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that you need to look at what you want to attract. If you want to attract more people to the forums, give a coupon. If you want to attract more people to the store (putting more money in your pocket) just ask the lowest price you can. Just remember to pay yourself. Too many people (including myself) have lost too much money by not paying themselves enough.

Both options will increase your business, but in my opinion, one option brings more nonsense to the forums. The last person this place needs is another me, filling its posts with useless ramblings.

It's kinda like buying a saturn, no haggle, this is the price, if you don't like it, bite me.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help my agency save babies. visit our March of Dimes website:
http://www.walkamerica.org/torresagency
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

The decision should come down to how much traffic does your site generate from Slowtwitch vs other means (ads, search engines, word of mouth, etc). I'm going to assume you want to maximize on-line sales. Since you already have name recognition from Slowtwitch, lower prices across the board would help differentiate your site, and increase your non Slowtwitch traffic.

Posting special deals on the Slowtwitch want ads when you have overstock you wish to get rid off, or special deals manufacturers may give you would be a better way to increase your Slowtwitch traffic without a coupon.
Quote Reply
Re: To answer your question about Slowtwitch Discount Coupon Code I have... [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa! You mean Bikesport Michigan accepts the Safeway Club Card? Do you get a gas discount on purchases over $50?
Quote Reply
Re: To answer your question about Slowtwitch Discount Coupon Code I have... [teamsln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
by the way, how do you get to tom's store. i was looking for a link, but couldn't find it?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help my agency save babies. visit our March of Dimes website:
http://www.walkamerica.org/torresagency
Quote Reply

Prev Next