Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Titanflex owners - Let's hear about your experience.
Quote | Reply
I'm still intrigued by the claimed aerodynamic and comfort benefits of beam bikes. And since Titanflex seems to be one of the only options that's still around, they're obviously at the top of the list. So, I'm interested to hear from any owners about their experience (pros, cons) with their bikes. And, if you have pictures, those would be good, too.

Also, can someone set me straight on the different models?

It appears that all models have a titanium boom and aluminum frame with the difference being the dual tubes on the Transition vs the monocoque design of the Veteran. The Terminator model is simply a Veteran with Molina's spec, right?

It seems to me that the technology is there to make these bikes not only lighter, but even more aerodynamic, as well. For example, the main frame doesn't appear to have any aero shaping, at all. And, the internal cabling could certainly be done more cleanly. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Last edited by: The_Mickstar: Mar 15, 09 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex owners - Let's hear about your experience. [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Terminator. It was very comfortable from a ride aspect. Well made. I just couldn't get it to fit.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex owners - Let's hear about your experience. [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Terminator is just a Veteran with Molina's chosen component spec, right?

Since I know we're built similarly (long legs, pretty tall) and both ride with a decent amount of drop... What was it that you couldn't get dialed in?

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex owners - Let's hear about your experience. [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I don't remember what was wrong with the fit. It just never felt right. I believe the Terminator is carbon not aluminum, but I could be wrong as I owned it many moons ago.

Paul
Last edited by: zipp: Mar 15, 09 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex owners - Let's hear about your experience. [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got almost 10,000 miles on my Titanflex. It's a great ride and Tom's company is very good to deal with.

A couple of points:

1) The Terminator is Al, not carbon.

2) Older Titanflexes had a road-bike-like Front-Center dimension. So even with all the adjustability of the design, riding steep would put you very far forward over the front wheel. Note that they now offer a version with a stretched frame that is better suited for riding steep. (My frame is the original "stretched" prototype.)

3) I have had constant maintenance to keep the Ti boom from squeaking, but it's a minor gripe.

4) The internal cable routing has a fair bit of friction and some tight tolerances behind the BB, but is no big deal.

5) The 1" steerer tube limits your fork choices somewhat these days.

6) For better or worse, a beam bike will teach you to pedal "in circles" as it bobs if your stroke is not smooth. (After a few hundred miles, my stroke had changed and is now completely bounce free.)

7) I don't have aero data, but the bike is way more comfortable than any double-diamond bike I've ever ridden.

8) As I've become a stronger rider over the years, the design of the bike has allowed me to gradually adopt a more "aggressive" position (Sorry, Tom D...). I've incrementally moved from a 76 to an 80 degree seat angle, and dropped my elbows about 3 inches -- all on the same bike! The adjustability of the Titanflex is unmatched.

9) My Titanflex is distinctive! At races, it stands out in the sea of Cervelos. (Unlike in the jealous-cruel cyberworld of ST) it always garners positive comments when people see it in person.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Mar 15, 09 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is the most bling of the beam bikes:
http://www.carbonsports.com/CS_Ueberblick.lasso
Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex owners - Let's hear about your experience. [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> this is the most bling of the beam bikes...

Beautiful!

But, non-adjustable, and the 700c frame is slack.

Quote Reply
Re: Titanflex owners - Let's hear about your experience. [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What sorta maintenance have you experienced on the boom (to stop the squeaking)? Is it simply a matter of removing and greasing periodically, or ???

Would you happen to have any detailed pictures of the cable routing? From the pics I've been able to find, it's tough to tell exactly where which cables enter/exit the frame. Actually, most I've seen seem to have more cable exposed than usual. (Notice the two shift? cables that hang down below the basebar and enter the frame somewhere around mid-headtube height in the pic you posted.) It looks like the rear shift cable takes a pretty clean route down the right "seatstay" to avoiid having a tight bend, though. So, I assume the one you're referring to is the front shift cable.?.

I noticed the "stretch" models listed on their site, but thought they were only in size L. I'll have to go look again, and shoot them an e-mail. I want to confirm that the Terminator is simply a Veteran w/ Molina's spec, anyway.

And, for the record, I think you're bike looks really nice. It looks very nice with the black/white you've got going on. Is that an Adamo under a neoprene seat cover?

Steve

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What sorta maintenance have you experienced on the boom (to stop the squeaking)? Is it simply a matter of removing and greasing periodically, or ???

Yah, periodic grease is the norm, but I keep looking for a better solution -- maybe some tape, or a coating or something...

Would you happen to have any detailed pictures of the cable routing? From the pics I've been able to find, it's tough to tell exactly where which cables enter/exit the frame. Actually, most I've seen seem to have more cable exposed than usual. (Notice the two shift? cables that hang down below the basebar and enter the frame somewhere around mid-headtube height in the pic you posted.) It looks like the rear shift cable takes a pretty clean route down the right "seatstay" to avoiid having a tight bend, though. So, I assume the one you're referring to is the front shift cable.?.

Everything but the front brake cable enters on the non-drive side a few inches behind the headtube. The rear brake cable housing runs straight through the frame, while the der cables run through clear "spaghetti" tubes inside the frame. The front der cable makes a pretty sharp curve as it exits behind the BB, and the rear cable is just pretty long. The result is that the cables need to be kept clean and lubed or shifting suffers -- e.g. the return spring on the front der is not strong enough to overcome the friction and you have to press knob on the end of the cable to get it on the small chain ring. Again, no issues if you keep everything clean and lubed.

I think that Tom has been experimenting with a new cable entry point on top of the top tube, behind the stem. You should ask him about the status as it would clean up the cables in the front quite a bit.

I noticed the "stretch" models listed on their site, but thought they were only in size L. I'll have to go look again, and shoot them an e-mail. I want to confirm that the Terminator is simply a Veteran w/ Molina's spec, anyway.

AFAIK, the Terminator is just a value-spec'd Veteran, but Tom can confirm. My frame is a size L and was the original "stretched" model. Tom may be able to stretch other sizes if you ask.

And, for the record, I think you're bike looks really nice. It looks very nice with the black/white you've got going on. Is that an Adamo under a neoprene seat cover?

Hey, thanks! Yes, that's an Adamo with a wide DeSoto cover -- it looks a bit goofy/droopy, but keeps my butt happy. ;-)

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Transition frame (dual downtubes) and love it. I have mine set up more as a road bike right now with drop bars and a Syntace C2 clip-on. One thing I like about the Transition vs. the Veteran is the two bottle mounts within easy reach. As others have mentioned the Ti boom takes a little getting used to but once you do the comfort is unparalled. Agree also on keeping the boom tube lubed regularly. Not too sure about the aerodynamics of the frame but the downtubes are pretty thin.

If you have any questions about anything specific I would e-mail Tom directly. He has always been very prompt in responding and is very helpful.

Sorry, can't find any pictures right now.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, let me address any TitanFlex questions that you may still have:
1. Both models are aluminum frames with titanium booms. The Transition uses the 7005 alloy and the Veteran uses 6061-T6. The shape of the Veteran body is wing-like. I agree it's hard to see in two dimensions, but the leading edge (downtube) tapers to a thinner trailing edge.
2. The "Terminator" edition is simply any size black Veteran frame equipped with specific components that Scott Molina currently rides.
3. As MOP_Mike mentioned, I stretched the front of the large Veteran frame to accommodate his fit preference. The large size was orignally created for Gerry Tatrai, the Aussie who won the Race Across America on it in 1998. It replaced his 58cm Specialized Epic Allez.
4. Boom squeak is managed with an application of molybdenum disulfate (aka Dry Moly) spray. Removing the boom is as easy as removing a seatpost.
5. The cable routing has been reworked on all Veteran frames. All three now enter the frame on top just behind the headtube, out of the wind
6. Oval Concept's front brake caliper that mounts behind the fork is now an option.

Let me know if I missed anything. I'd be happy to send detailed images that are not yet available online.

Cheers,
Tom Piszkin
(619) 334-7222
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like mine. No beam issues, good adjustability, good aero. +1 that Tom is a great guy to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took a picture with my new front wheel- Gigantex 85mm Carbon Clincher.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mine since '02 and love it. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
More areo than any "double diamond" bike (Felt, Cervelo, Trek, etc.)
Hyper-adjustable (get any effective seat tube angle you want)
Has a lot more wow value and people asking about it than any other bike
Doesn't bob like other beam bikes, but takes the edge off of rough roads (I'm 180lbs)
Good customer service/support

Cons:
A bit heavier than today's carbon steeds
Fit and finish (the welds are kinda chunky and the cable runs are high friction (took a really good tri LBS to get the shifting crisp). Overall it's not as smooth and sculpted as a carbon frame.
1" fork (more aero, but getting harder to find)

I keep getting tempted to get a Cervello or Felt, but I know these frames are slower and my $$ are better spent on component upgrades.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have way too many bikes (4 serotta's including a Meivici),3 Lightspeed's( new blade and saber will be sold this year),CerveloP3(just sold-it was pretty good but not as good as my Titanflex),P4 ordered,Calfee,Kuota,Calfee dragonfly ,and probably a few others.I had a bunch of Softrides but their beams all delaminated and I got rid of them.They were way more bouncy than a Titanflex.I got my Veteran Titanflex 2 years ago prior to Ironman Florida since I was worried about comfort over that distance.It was great and since then I have done 3 more Ironmen and a bunch of Halfs on the Titanflex.I don't knowhow aero it is (and probably nobody knows how it compares to a P4) but I bought it for it's GREAT RIDE.I have 15 bikes to ride but I always take the same one -the titanflex.Ithought the Serotta Meivici I set up for tris was a great ride and it is but not as Good as the Titanflex.I would have saved a small fortune on bikes if I bought the Titanflex earlier.
Quote Reply