Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tires and trainers
Quote | Reply
I just bought a trainer (Kinetic Road Machine) and am new to use of one.. Wondering whether the majority use a spare rear wheel when on their trainers... My first "spin" on it was on my tri bike/Zipps. Can there be any warping to the wheel itself? How much wear will the trainer cause on the tire itself compared to road wear? I am new to this site, so if this is an "old" question, sorry! Thanks for any input... Matt

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Tires and trainers [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about wear and tear on the wheel itself, it's typically the tire that becomes problematic. Do not use high end clinchers, they will get shredded on any trainer. Use cheap clinchers( I use a Conti Super Sport, $15 retail) or Continental does have a trainer tire that is made specifically for using on an indoor trainer.

It's helpful to have an old wheel that you can use that can be dedicated for trainer use. This is what I do.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 22, 07 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Tires and trainers [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Cont trainer tire and it works GREAT!!!! Much fewer flats with it.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Tires and trainers [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My computrainer chews up tires (peels the outer layer right off), but only after substantial use. I use old tires off my other bikes that have so-so cuts in them -- doesn't make a difference on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Tires and trainers [shumphries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure to read and follow the trainer's instructions on adjusting tension on the tire, and be sure your tires are properly inflated.

People often talk about trainers shredding tires, but I've never found that to be the case. This past winter, I used conti GP4000 tires on my trainer and saw about the same wear rate I get on the road. I have had periods where it seemed like the trainer was shredding a tire, but it was usually linked to incorrect adjustment.
Quote Reply