Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c
Quote | Reply
Since I'm not upgrading my bike this year, I'll try to make my current setup a bit faster. My fit is good and so are my suit and helmet. Since both wheelset and bike are to be kept for another one or twe years, I have some fixed parameters:
  • 28" wheelsize
  • 23c disc in de back - so need valve lenght of around 42-45mm)
  • 23c 90mm (or 50mm when windy) front wheel - so need removable core

Other relevant parameters:
  • I normally do flat races. Weight is not an issue
  • I don't like to do a lot fidling.
  • I do long distance. Roads are not always clean (but normally in a pretty good shape, no potholes/bumps. Puncture protection is a bit (not a lot) important. I guess I mean I don't want to give a lot in this deparment for 0.1 watt saving.
  • Money. I want an option that is also (a bit) affordable. So no tires that I made by elves with full moon and golden threads for € 100,00+ a piece. Tires should cost around € 35,00 - € 50,00.

I want a tire combination for raceday. My current set-up I use (both training and racing): 23c Continental GP5000 with cheap-ass butyl inner tire. I don't mind switching to a raceday setup for my A-races. Normally I have 1 or 2 A-races a year (long distance) and switch to new tires 2 weeks before the race. I keep them on after the race for training. If the tire is still good when the next race comes, they go to my 2nd roadbike or fixed gear commuter.

I've been reading both Aerocoach and Bicyclerollingresistance and came to this as best/solid option:

Continental gp5000 clincher 23c tire
Vittoria Latex inner tire

I think there might be a faster tire, but I guess the tradeoff with puncture protecton favours the GP5000 (both fast and punctureproof I think). Latex inner tires will be faster. The annoyence of losing air doesn't matter since I can switch back to butyl for my training weeks/months between races.

Do I miss something?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If tubeless is not an option for you, and you can't squeeze in a 25, there is nothing wrong with what you propose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely do latex. That's about the cheapest speed you can buy. GP5000s are a solid option, I personally prefer the Corsa. But you can't go wrong either way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of faster options, but I'm not going to comment on those since I haven't been using them and would just be basing my comments on the same daat you've looked at. However, I currently use GP5000 tyres and Vittoria latex tubes (25mm size mounted on 19.5mm inner width rims) and I'm very happy with that setup. There's no reason to use a different setup for training unless you're worried wear on the crown of the tread will damage your aerodynamics. I use the same for training and racing, life's too short to use a less enjoyable setup for no reason. I check my pressure before rides anyway, whether butyl or latex tubes. It's of no consequence that I might need to add a couple of strokes of air to compensate for losses with latex. Changing tyres back to an alternative training setup after events is far more inconvenient than adding a bit of air before rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your choices are exactly what I would do.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Jul 13, 21 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
There are lots of faster options, but I'm not going to comment on those since I haven't been using them and would just be basing my comments on the same daat you've looked at. However, I currently use GP5000 tyres and Vittoria latex tubes (25mm size mounted on 19.5mm inner width rims) and I'm very happy with that setup. There's no reason to use a different setup for training unless you're worried wear on the crown of the tread will damage your aerodynamics. I use the same for training and racing, life's too short to use a less enjoyable setup for no reason. I check my pressure before rides anyway, whether butyl or latex tubes. It's of no consequence that I might need to add a couple of strokes of air to compensate for losses with latex. Changing tyres back to an alternative training setup after events is far more inconvenient than adding a bit of air before rides.

Really curious what those faster options are (given it needs to be 23c, clincher, quite puncture proof and not super expensive).

Also, for a race I don't mind putting in some air, but for training I do mind since I don't like time consuming stuff. My disc has the hole covered, which is annoying when you need to pump before every ride (even with butyl I need to pump once every few rides).

Also I think new tires make sense before a race. Both because of aeroness and rolling resistance, but also because of puncture protection. I tire that has had 2000 kilometers of riding has a bigger change of a flat than a new tire. Since the tire moves down to my other bikes, it's no problem. Also, I only do 2 big races, so it mean 2 new sets of tires. That's not that bad, since after a race they stay on for about 2500km of training (that is about the interval between races).

Only other thing I would need to check if I can fit 25c on my older rims and have enough clearance in the back. Rim is a Fulcrum Red Wind 80mm (20,5mm witdth). Not sure if that is faster than a 23c (roads a good quality, comfort not really an issue).
Last edited by: Cnasta: Jul 13, 21 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Definitely do latex. That's about the cheapest speed you can buy. GP5000s are a solid option, I personally prefer the Corsa. But you can't go wrong either way

Thanks, Corsa is on my list as well (on road I also use Schwalbe One). Couldn't find a reaseon to choose Corsa (or Schwalbe) over GP5000. Why do you prefer Corsa?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal experience, but I’ve had a ton of flats with GP5000s. Plus they’re a pain in the ass to mount. The corsas have been a bit faster in my testing too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
....Really curious what those faster options are (given it needs to be 23c, clincher, quite puncture proof and not super expensive).
Apologies, I was unclear. The faster options I'm aware of all likely sacrifice robustness for lower rolling resistance. There's no free lunch. For my priorities which are similar to many people's, including you (aside from the raceday swap), GP5000 seems like the best option. If I was changing for raceday, I might consider a faster option at the expense of some robustness, but using it for training makes GP5000 the choice.

Cnasta wrote:
....Also, for a race I don't mind putting in some air, but for training I do mind since I don't like time consuming stuff. My disc has the hole covered, which is annoying when you need to pump before every ride (even with butyl I need to pump once every few rides).
I also don't like time consuming stuff, but that's why I don't swap out tyres and tubes for events. Maybe the disc is hassle, but otherwise top ups for latex really is a non issue for me. If I was you, and I'd probably consider getting a non-disc training wheel and keep the training setup on that, and the race setup on the disc. Even less hassle.[/quote]
Cnasta wrote:
....Also I think new tires make sense before a race. Both because of aeroness and rolling resistance, but also because of puncture protection. I tire that has had 2000 kilometers of riding has a bigger change of a flat than a new tire. Since the tire moves down to my other bikes, it's no problem. Also, I only do 2 big races, so it mean 2 new sets of tires. That's not that bad, since after a race they stay on for about 2500km of training (that is about the interval between races).
My evaluation would differ from yours here. Aerodynamics may be better with a new tyre, but rolling resistance may be better on the older one. As for reliability, I'd take a tyre with 2000km that hadn't been off the rim recently in preference to a newly installed brand new tyre any day. I would definitely expect a bigger chance of a flat with the new tyre unless the old one has visible damage. New tyres have the added risk of poor installation (e.g. pinched tube or badly positioned rim tape), and the possibility of a manufacturing fault or accidentally leaving a bit of debris inside the tyre. Similarly a new tube could have a manufacturing defect like a pin hole or a leaky valve. Rare but possible. By contrast a tyre that's already lasted 2000km will likely be fine for another race distance, if not another 2000km (well the front anyway!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding 23c... what does the c stand for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use rim brake Zipp Firecrest 404s and 808s from the mid-2010s on a BMC Timemachine from the same era. I went through the same evaluation as you and came to the same conclusion: GP5000 with latex tubes. I use a 23mm on the front and 25mm on the back to try and get the best combination of aerodynamics, rolling resistance and comfort. I was pretty set on 25s on both ends until someone mentioned Josh Poertner's "rule of 105". https://blog.silca.cc/...ure-and-aerodynamics
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Cnasta wrote:
....Really curious what those faster options are (given it needs to be 23c, clincher, quite puncture proof and not super expensive).

Apologies, I was unclear. The faster options I'm aware of all likely sacrifice robustness for lower rolling resistance. There's no free lunch. For my priorities which are similar to many people's, including you (aside from the raceday swap), GP5000 seems like the best option. If I was changing for raceday, I might consider a faster option at the expense of some robustness, but using it for training makes GP5000 the choice.

Cnasta wrote:
....Also, for a race I don't mind putting in some air, but for training I do mind since I don't like time consuming stuff. My disc has the hole covered, which is annoying when you need to pump before every ride (even with butyl I need to pump once every few rides).
I also don't like time consuming stuff, but that's why I don't swap out tyres and tubes for events. Maybe the disc is hassle, but otherwise top ups for latex really is a non issue for me. If I was you, and I'd probably consider getting a non-disc training wheel and keep the training setup on that, and the race setup on the disc. Even less hassle.

Cnasta wrote:
....Also I think new tires make sense before a race. Both because of aeroness and rolling resistance, but also because of puncture protection. I tire that has had 2000 kilometers of riding has a bigger change of a flat than a new tire. Since the tire moves down to my other bikes, it's no problem. Also, I only do 2 big races, so it mean 2 new sets of tires. That's not that bad, since after a race they stay on for about 2500km of training (that is about the interval between races).

My evaluation would differ from yours here. Aerodynamics may be better with a new tyre, but rolling resistance may be better on the older one. As for reliability, I'd take a tyre with 2000km that hadn't been off the rim recently in preference to a newly installed brand new tyre any day. I would definitely expect a bigger chance of a flat with the new tyre unless the old one has visible damage. New tyres have the added risk of poor installation (e.g. pinched tube or badly positioned rim tape), and the possibility of a manufacturing fault or accidentally leaving a bit of debris inside the tyre. Similarly a new tube could have a manufacturing defect like a pin hole or a leaky valve. Rare but possible. By contrast a tyre that's already lasted 2000km will likely be fine for another race distance, if not another 2000km (well the front anyway!)[/quote]
Thanks for your reply. I'll see if I can live with pumping before every (training)ride. Might keep the latex inners in that case.

On the new/old tire I'm not convinced. I agree that a new tire has some risks. That's why I put it on about 2 (maybe 3) weeks before the race. I will get some miles on it to be sure it's not a flawed tire (and to make sure the inner tire sits correct within the tire).

As far as getting a training rear wheel. I actually have one (to fit my front wheel). My bike however has the worst nightmare brakes in the universe (TRP aero crap) and it's almost impossible to adjust the brakes to different wheels. It's also impossible to get a wheel in/out without totally deflating it. It's the only reason I ride my disc for training as well (and sometimes I commute my 35km ride to work with a disc wheel and I backpack, which must look hillarious) :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [odds_and_ends] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
odds_and_ends wrote:
I use rim brake Zipp Firecrest 404s and 808s from the mid-2010s on a BMC Timemachine from the same era. I went through the same evaluation as you and came to the same conclusion: GP5000 with latex tubes. I use a 23mm on the front and 25mm on the back to try and get the best combination of aerodynamics, rolling resistance and comfort. I was pretty set on 25s on both ends until someone mentioned Josh Poertner's "rule of 105". https://blog.silca.cc/...ure-and-aerodynamics

Thnx for the link. Missed that one. Also deals with old versus new tires. Great info and back up my theory that my 23mm tires are not that bad or a choice for my triathlon bike (although my rims could be better/wider).

Than the next question. How much bar should I run in mij 23mm wheels. I normally go with 7,5 bar if road a in a good condition. I'm 72 kilo and don't care a lot about comfort (although 8bar feels quite 'bumpy'). Is 7,5 a good starting point, or is there a reason to always go lower (which logically seems to be the trend with wider tires)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
odds_and_ends wrote:
I use rim brake Zipp Firecrest 404s and 808s from the mid-2010s on a BMC Timemachine from the same era. I went through the same evaluation as you and came to the same conclusion: GP5000 with latex tubes. I use a 23mm on the front and 25mm on the back to try and get the best combination of aerodynamics, rolling resistance and comfort. I was pretty set on 25s on both ends until someone mentioned Josh Poertner's "rule of 105".
https://blog.silca.cc/...ure-and-aerodynamics

Thnx for the link. Missed that one. Also deals with old versus new tires. Great info and back up my theory that my 23mm tires are not that bad or a choice for my triathlon bike (although my rims could be better/wider).

Than the next question. How much bar should I run in mij 23mm wheels. I normally go with 7,5 bar if road a in a good condition. I'm 72 kilo and don't care a lot about comfort (although 8bar feels quite 'bumpy'). Is 7,5 a good starting point, or is there a reason to always go lower (which logically seems to be the trend with wider tires)...

Silca has a pressure calculator
https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form

I'm running a mix of 23 GP5000 on the front and a rear GPTT on an older "mid-width" wheelset since the TT is slightly faster rolling and the rear shouldn't impact aerodynamics as much. On Race wheels only since I don't trust the TT as a daily driver. If I were going for one tire for all the time, you can't really get any better than the GP5000.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too recommend and use the Silca tire pressure calculator.

After seeing and reading about the shift to wider tires — and the lower pressures that everyone seemed to be using — I expected the calculator to propose a much lower pressure for me. Instead, it said 90-95 for 25mm and 100-105 for 23mm. So, don’t be surprised if it doesn’t suggest a significantly lower tire pressure.

I should also reiterate what someone mentioned above: Make sure the tires fit your frame. Thankfully, the BMC has horizontal dropouts on the back. But a 25mm front tire comes eerily close rubbing on the frame. I was glad to settle on a 23mm front tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [odds_and_ends] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
odds_and_ends wrote:

For those of you running different F/R tire sizes, AND manually adding a wheel sensor diameter (as opposed to letting GPS calculate it): how do you account for the different circumferences? Split the difference between, say, 2096 (700x23) and 2105 (700x25)?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire choice - inner and outer - 23c [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
For those of you running different F/R tire sizes, AND manually adding a wheel sensor diameter (as opposed to letting GPS calculate it): how do you account for the different circumferences? Split the difference between, say, 2096 (700x23) and 2105 (700x25)?
The wheel sensor is only 'interested' in the circumference of that wheel (obv). If you have a F=23 and a R=25, your front wheel will go round faster: how cool is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing on 23mm vitoria corsas with latex tubes for a decade now. I have put some GP5000 on my road bike and really didn't like them - the profile is different to the vittorias and specialized tyres I normally use - and that may jsut be a 'get used to it thing' but 3000km and still finding them slightly more 'squirmy'.

The corsa's do cut up pretty quickly on the rough chipseal I ride on, but then that's also where the speed/feel comes from compared to the more resilient alternate rubber. They are raceday / final training ride only tyres. That said, I have then used old 'A' raceday tyres for many subsequent club races/rides with no issues, so I think it's more that they look like they've been in a fight with edward scissorhands and won, more that they actually are that fragile. Mount pretty easily too.

Re the tubes, then I've used Michelin and Vittoria, and aside from one being green and one pink I can't say I notice any difference (although both way better feel/speed than butyl). Equally neither lost all that much air overnight. Still would top up in the AM though, but never an issue riding home after the race is all done.

Regarding needing something cheap and punctureproof - changing tyres for race is to me a positive thing. A good part of mental prep and getting my 'race face on'. It's 20mins tops and is the chance to check through the bike at same time whilst you're in taper mode anyway. So a good mindful task. New bike is tubeless, and that's a totally different kettle of fish though, I'm still trying to process that one, but not a discussion for this thread ;-)
Quote Reply