Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire Cut - Repair or Replace?
Quote | Reply
GP4000s II tire has maybe 200 miles on it and a pretty good shard of glass caused a cut directly on the center of the tread about 1/8" long and had just enough penetration to cause a leak in my tube this morning. It was deep enough that I can see fibers but like I said, it barely went through and got to the tube. I removed the glass from the cut and now I'm trying to figure out whether to repair or replace it.

I've had limited success with vulcanizing rubber cement for cuts. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Any advice on this one?
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Cut - Repair or Replace? [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These types of questions are impossible to answer because if we say, "it's probably OK" and then you go down at 35MPH and break a collarbone, it doesn't feel good.

Tires are something I don't generally mess with, however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a tire boot and use the tire until it wears to the casing.

http://www.parktool.com/...gency-tire-boot-tb-2
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Cut - Repair or Replace? [Danielg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a "Boot" in one of mine. It got rotated to training use. Still a very durable tire all around so nice for training. Rides a lot better than a gatorskin. If a really bad cut, I might use it for trainer use only... or use a super think HD tube in it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Cut - Repair or Replace? [Danielg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'll do. Boot it and move on. I only need it for another 2-3 rides until I replace with all new rubber for a Sept 6th double 100. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
That's what I'll do. Boot it and move on. I only need it for another 2-3 rides until I replace with all new rubber for a Sept 6th double 100. Thanks.

Why not replace NOW for the 2-3 rides before your event.. That way no surprises on a brand new tube/tire come event day??

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
GP4000s II tire has maybe 200 miles on it and a pretty good shard of glass caused a cut directly on the center of the tread about 1/8" long and had just enough penetration to cause a leak in my tube this morning. It was deep enough that I can see fibers but like I said, it barely went through and got to the tube. I removed the glass from the cut and now I'm trying to figure out whether to repair or replace it.

I've had limited success with vulcanizing rubber cement for cuts. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Any advice on this one?

If the shard pretty much penetrated between the tire cords I'd just boot using a normal tube patch on the interior of the casing rather than a large boot. If 2 or more cords are cut I go with on of the larger boots shown earlier in the thread. If it was me I'd rather ride this tire up until the ride before your big one and then get one good ride on the new tire before that. I would certainly go back to the booted tire though after the event and run it right out to 2000+ miles. I'm a guy that rides around on tubes with half a dozen patches and has never had one fail.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually just boot mine with a piece of an old race number. I use a little glue if I have it handy. If not, no big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I superglue cuts like that and leave overnight uninflated to fully set. Normally holds ok. Sometimes add a few specks of Sodium Bicarbonate, makes it set really fast and hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Cut - Repair or Replace? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
JimMoss wrote:

Why not replace NOW for the 2-3 rides before your event.. That way no surprises on a brand new tube/tire come event day??

Yes, I have about 5-6 rides to go. Don't want to put the new rubber on for Saturday's 50-60 miles because it's been raining a lot here and has brought a ton of shit on the road. I'll end up with a set of new tires with a bunch of dings in them. But on Tues/Weds I'll switch to the new rubber and run them for 20-30 miles total before racing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 4000s with a boot in the sidewall. It still bulges, solid 1/2 inch long cut. I've put 1000 miles on it since booting it. Best practice - no..... but it works.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:

Any advice on this one?
ff the casing is not cut, I'd use it for training for sure. And keep an eye on it.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply