Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tinley Is Out Of Control
Quote | Reply
i'm going to do something that has recently proved to be very dangerous on this forum.... i'm going to rant.

but first... let it be known that i appreciate EVERYTHING tinley has done for our sport. in particular, i appreciate his massive efforts during his epic battles. his clothing line left something to desire, but again, A for effort.

it's his editorial section in triathlete magazine that is out of control. IMO.

here i go:

1) he's got to run out of pictures of himself soon. why is it always of him? perhaps a picture that would help me understand what in the world he is trying to say would be more appropriate (see #2)

2) his writing leads me down a path of extraordinary confusion. if he's got something to say, just spit it out.

3) he makes up words. what exactly is 'concretize' ?

i recognize that i might be the problem. perhaps he is writing in beautiful prose, and has something profound that he is clearly communicating to the masses, but i just don't get it. i don't think this is the problem though.

there is such a strange attraction to reading his editorial. for some unexplainable reason, i always read it. perhaps for amusement, or perhaps secretly hoping he might actually get his point across to me.

if i am able to get anything out of his writing, i think he is hanging on to his past. he seems to always attempt to legitimize his current existence by hanging on to his past achievements. always telling us the way it used to be. always telling us his way. in the mag that i received today, he finished up by saying nobody will ever go sub 8 in hawaii on their own. does anyone understand this? is he saying that if someone goes sub 8, it is with performance enhancing drugs (the not on their own part)?

i'll tell you one thing... he's got my attention. i think i've read every article that he has written. i remember the first one, and how i was excited to read it; ultimately kicking off the confusion. maybe this is what he is trying to accomplish; create a very strong magnetism to a strange place. sort of an alice in wonderland for triathletes.

oh, and scott.... if you happen to read this, don't worry about legitimizing your past. you raced with the best and won. you know that... we know that. as a kid growing up in san diego, i used to go to the old g&s skateboard distribution shop off I-5 to try and bum stickers. once in awhile, a buzz would hit the shop and point to the running trail by the railroad tracks and they would say "there's tinley!". take comfort in the fact that you are regarded very highly. please just take it easy with the pen.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [TheMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to concretize is a word that exists.
it means to become concrete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you just say? I'm confused! ;)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh and...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=concretize

2 entries found

con·cre·tize ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knkr-tz, kng-)
tr.v. con·cre·tized, con·cre·tiz·ing, con·cre·tiz·es To make real or specific: “The need to simplify and concretize... was hardly acceptable to a mind fascinated by the... suggestiveness of ideas” (Arthur A. Cohen).

concretize

v 1: make something concrete 2: become concrete, as of an idea in the mind

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
to concretize is a word that exists.

Actually, "to concreteize" may or may not be two words that exist.

;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a fine one :-)
I didn't get it until I did a google search...
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay.... my bad....

perhaps i should strive for unexpurgated due diligence on my part. but there are some words that should just be left in the dictionary. =>

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is like Bob Roll or babookifookidukiefuckie what whatever, you have to think his writing is brilliant and the soul of the sport. You have no choice. My personal opion is both those guys need to be slapped everytime they write something.

I know I suck but I ain't publishing anything.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...but there are some words that should just be left in the dictionary."

Yea, ... words like codswallop ;-)

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished his book “Racing the Sunset”. Honestly I still can’t say if I would recommend it or not. I get the feeling he works just as hard at being a “writer” as he did at being a triathlete. He admits he over trained for triathlon and in my opinion he over does it with his writing. Too many times I found myself loosing track of his point because I would just get lost. You don’t need to add an obscure word or analogy to everything.

It’s like that guy in every office who has a word of the day calendar. As soon as he throws out his new word like “codswallop” your mind stops and tries to process that word. Yes, the word fits technically but it breaks up the flow of the story. You could put a $2,000 disk on a mountain bike but it would be out of place. If you saw a guy ride by with Zipp 909’s on an old GT Mt. bike you would remember the wheels but forget kind of bike they were on.

Dave
Quote Reply
Sub 8 On Your Own [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's talking about not being able to go sub-8 without the support of your friends -- I didn't see anything that would leave me to think he was talking about perf enhancing drugs.

Tinley is an enigma -- I either finish his editorial thinking "yeah, this is right on target" or thinking "What in the world was that supposed to be about??" Regardless, like a moth to a flame, it is the first thing I read when the magazine hits my mailbox. I both dread and anticipate reading it every time. Weird, huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I havent gotten triathlete magazine for years as its so redundant, but i do remember reading his articles every month....my thought is this, what does he possibly have left to write about? many years, 12 articles a year..its all been said...I really think Scott just has nothing worth while left to write about, but its his job...so he writes on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if memory serves, Tinley is now a lecturer in English at San Diego State U. I think he's just practising his writing skills on us.. IMO he needs to realize that in writing as in training, sometimes it's better to just slow down and go aerobic.

I always read his column though.. once I was semi-fast, now I am old fat and creaky, so I know exactly what he's writing about, most of the time.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a story on the Ironman site, here is what Tinley is up to (maybe he keeps writing those stories because as a grad student he needs the cash):

"In June [2003] Tinley defended his master’s thesis on athlete retirement to earn a master’s degree in the social psychology of sport at San Diego State University and he will earn an MFA in creative writing with an emphasis on fiction next spring.

When he completes his studies Tinley plans to step into the world of higher education on a new plane, trying his hand at a tenure-track teaching position.

“People always ask me why I haven’t tried to use my name more to continue profiting off my career, to continue my legacy,” he says. “I’ve always thought that people who were asking for more than their 15 minutes of fame were asking for trouble… for me, it’s more important to throw myself into things and figure them out. To keep things changing.”
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im a third of the way through it and cant decide if it is a worthwhile read or not. I think his perception of his fame is very warped to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think his columns are terrible. completely overwritten - if he uses the phrase, "wax poetic" in one more article i'm going to... i don't know but something. i respect the guy, probably would enjoy having a beer with him, but just don't make me read anything he's written.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't finished one of his articles in 2-3 years. I usually lose interest after a paragraph and a half.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [Mr. Slave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it this morning and now can't even remember what it was about...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
perhaps i should strive for unexpurgated due diligence on my part. but there are some words that should just be left in the dictionary. =>
You got that right...what the hell does "unexpurgated" mean and when would anyone use that in spoken or written language other than to make themselves sound smarter than they are...

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [mileader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I love his stuff and always read his column first. If you try to read it like the rest of the magazine (that is, quickly) you won't get as much out of it and it will sound like gibberish. Try slowing down and reading a bit more closely. I agree that sometimes he gets out of control, but you don't know where the edge is unless you go over it every once and a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't finished one of his articles in 2-3 years. I usually lose interest after a paragraph and a half.

Same here, I always want to like them and to be blown away by something profound. I am always hoping I might find something for my quote wall. But after a paragraph or two I bail out.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Is Out Of Control [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He wrote some wacky fun stuff in the early 90's,since then He has grown up and become boring!!!,I have not seen a good article for at least 12 years!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I wrote stuff like Tinley, I would be called a charlatan......wait a minute.....I really am a charlatan!!

Tinleys column is old media, like 60 minutes and the New York Times. Imagine if he had a Blog!! Maybe he does. Either way I don't need to wait for a magazine to arrive in my mail to read crazy shit, I just log on to slowtwitch every day.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Last edited by: mojozenmaster: Apr 13, 06 20:15
Quote Reply