Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Timing Chips over your wetsuit
Quote | Reply
At Ironman Calgary 70.3 I was told I had to wear my timing chip ankle band over my wetsuit and I'm not sure how I feel about this. Does anyone else have any opinions or comments on this, does it slow you down or damage your wetsuit when it is stripped off after the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Timing Chips over your wetsuit [TriFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the only way I have worn a chip, sort-of. I pull up my wetsuit leg slightly to allow room for the chip around my ankle, against my skin. So, technically, it is not over my wetsuit, but it is not under my wetsuit either. No impact that I can tell. Stripping the wetsuit does not seem to care that the chip is there.
Quote Reply
Re: Timing Chips over your wetsuit [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
That is the only way I have worn a chip, sort-of. I pull up my wetsuit leg slightly to allow room for the chip around my ankle, against my skin. So, technically, it is not over my wetsuit, but it is not under my wetsuit either. No impact that I can tell. Stripping the wetsuit does not seem to care that the chip is there.

same here... in t1 general just strip off the chip band before taking off the wetsuit and put it back on.. 4-5 seconds if that total...always afraid it might get hung up stripping off wetsuit (I have big legs as is)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's weird... I slap a bit of body glide on the strap and safety pin it shut. Never had an issue with it getting hung up on the wetsuit. And have never been told to wear the chip overtop - seems like a big waste of time to have to remove it and reposition it in T1.
Quote Reply
Re: Timing Chips over your wetsuit [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
That's weird... I slap a bit of body glide on the strap and safety pin it shut. Never had an issue with it getting hung up on the wetsuit. And have never been told to wear the chip overtop - seems like a big waste of time to have to remove it and reposition it in T1.

x2 - In four wtc events I've never been told to wear it over the suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wetsuit is cut mid calf... never had a problem :)

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did NC 70.3 last year, and they did not have the rule. I had it under the wetsuit with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been told to wear it UNDER the wetsuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this wouldn't be possible if they were Mylaps disposable chips. They are ankle bands that are held on by removing adhesive strip. No Velcro.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost my timing chip at escape alcatraz by having it over top and stripping the wetsuit off in a hurry. never noticed until I ran into T1. Put it under!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriFaster wrote:
At Ironman Calgary 70.3 I was told I had to wear my timing chip ankle band over my wetsuit and I'm not sure how I feel about this. Does anyone else have any opinions or comments on this, does it slow you down or damage your wetsuit when it is stripped off after the swim?

Who was it that told you this? I'm thinking maybe a volunteer who made a mistake? Wearing it on the outside of a wetsuit truly makes no sense. On ankle below suit, sure. Under the suit, sure. Over the suit, no way.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply