Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th
Quote | Reply
Anyone planning on racing in the TT events at the World Bicycle Relief Gran Fondo at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on June 20th? Not a better venue for a TT - smooth is fast! Roger Bowersock from the Colavita-Zipp series will again be in charge of timing and he puts on nice events. The event will feature hot lap, 40K TT, 40K TTT and 100 mile categories. The Saturday event is kicked off by a nice "Tour de SRAM" open house event at Zipp in Indianapolis. Details here: http://www.wbrgranfondo.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [joshkline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This Type 1 Diabetic appreciates you posting this! I wasn't aware of this event. Even though it's about a 10 hr drive for me, I'm very tempted.
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [joshkline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's in my backyard, but I had already signed up for Tri Insanity in Danville. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wish more TTs like this were available, seems perfect. lock in that position and power and go. No traffic, no cones to go round, sheltered by the bank. perfect
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not as free flowing as you would think from my experience. lots of riders to dodge unless you are the slowest rider out there and they don't all follow the rules and keep right either, causing longer ride lines when passing, at least that is how it was at Lowes for me. plus it seems some folks cant count laps very well and get dq'd for too many or too few
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [BoKnowsT1D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silly of me to not mention that WBR is partnered with Tour de Cure and the ADA for this event. We even have a Red Rider category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So 100 mile starts at 10am. 40k TT at 11 and 40k TTT at 12. So are there TT's and drafting 100 milers on track at the same time? This seem like chaos.

Also. The Tour De Cure page has a 7:30 and 7:45 am start time for 4 different rides. So do all of these happen on the same day? I'm confused. The times don't seem to line up to allow for a reasonable race/ride on the track.
Last edited by: cbs78: Mar 19, 15 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
plus it seems some folks cant count laps very well and get dq'd for too many or too few

ha ha ... DQ for "too many"? What if I just want to get my money's worth and keep riding 'round and 'round?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so in..... :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great chance for a great workout that also will do a lot of good. Love that it supports WBR.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The masses go off between 7:45 and 8am and 90% of those riders exit the track after one lap. Our events start after that when the track is fairly empty. It's fairly wide open. No incidents or complaints last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshkline wrote:
The masses go off between 7:45 and 8am and 90% of those riders exit the track after one lap. Our events start after that when the track is fairly empty. It's fairly wide open. No incidents or complaints last year.

Thanks! I was interested but I am 4 hours away. Didn't want to drive over just to ride on the track with 2000 other people. So the 100 mile drafting ride stays on the track and starts after the other 100 mile ride. Correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshkline wrote:

Josh...

This sounds really cool, and I am definitely interested (I'm in Dayton, OH...fairly close). However, the website times don't match your post:

10am- 100 mile
11am- 40k individual time trial (30 second starts in order
registered)
High Noon- 40K team time trial (2 minute starts in order registered)
1pm- Brickyard hot laps

Looks to me like the track would be pretty crowded for the 40K TTers. Am I missing something?

Spot

Quote | Reply
I did the event a couple years back. The track was mixed with large groups, as well as large open pockets of clear smooth pavement.

They have also raised the fundraising minimum I think. The year I participated, I believe the donation minimum was only $125.

Brandan
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [Brandan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning on doing it until I found out that the century riders would be on the track at the same time. Initially, I was told that they would be on the road course portion of the track. Too much potential for problems from my perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [mikewho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this last year and it was a blast! Such a cool experience to be out there riding on the track and I had no problem navigating around the group. It's a fun, unique option, and for a good cause! Super cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [Cgeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a blast! I'm seriously considering it! Only 200 miles from Chicago. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Timed 40K TT at Indianapolis Motor Speedway - June 20th [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
Sounds like a blast! I'm seriously considering it! Only 200 miles from Chicago. :-)

I'm definitely going to be there, but I'm also concerned about the Century riders (and shorter distance riders) being on the track at the same time as the TT riders. There are pictures on their Facebook page that show a TT racer starting with full families and children on the track in the background.
Quote Reply