Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time Trialing and Water
Quote | Reply
In support of my tri racing, I've signed up for some masters ITTs. Distances are 17, 19 and 39 km. For the shorter ones I am not concerned at all about hydration but the longer ones are in the height of summer. I don't plan on being on the course too long, but there is a good chance that I'll be sweating buckets about half way through the race.

Should I use my aerobottle or one small waterbottle on the seat tube? I'm not worried about being laughed off the course but I am interested in what people are doing on the longer ITTs.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialing and Water [mudflaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a 20k TT, I wouldn't carry water, as it's only a 30-minute effort at most. I would just make sure I'm well hydrated that day and would top off during the short period between the warmup and the start. At the same time, however, it wouldn't be unheard of to have a small water bottle on the frame, especially if it's hot.

For 40k, I would have a small water bottle about 1/2 full on the frame. Even then, I would only take a drink once or twice during the effort, possibly one at around 20 minutes and the other at 40.

Forget the aero bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the previous post. for a 25k TT I don't drink anything during the effort, but I do get a few good gulps of sport drink (Hammer HEED) about 5' prior to start along with a little drinking during warmup. but the time that is absorbed the race will be over.

for 40k effort, same protocol before start, and then one good gulp at the turn-around. But the 20'/40' strategy would work. Forget the aero bottle, just one on the frame or behind the saddle. if you can grab and drink without breaking cadence and staying aero, then not a problem.

look at is this way, it's only a bike race and you don't have to worry about setting yourself up for the run. if it was a 40k bike followed by 10k run (oly tri) I would obviously fuel differently. but you can hit the drinks after the race.

(use code #48352 for 15% off your first order)
*Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about Hammer products*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a 40 kms TT last summer on a very hot day. Was glad I brought water.20 kms wouldn't likely be a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can tell some of the responses are from folks that don't live in harsh climates. In August with mid 90 temperatures and high humidity, the THI can reach around 110 degrees. I can easily lose 5+ lbs of water weight in a one hour effort. With that much lost performance starts to suffer near the end. What's worse? Time lost for aero or more time lost because you crater from lack of hydration?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

for the longer TTs, especially when its hot, I use a small camleback under my jersey.

Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialing and Water [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hunchback styles on the TT! Good idea for a hot race, especially since the bump should be in the wind shadow.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well, I tried it after seeing bobby julich do it at the 2005 tdf and it seems to work really well.

Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialing and Water [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can tell some of the responses are from folks that don't live in harsh climates. In August with mid 90 temperatures and high humidity, the THI can reach around 110 degrees. I can easily lose 5+ lbs of water weight in a one hour effort. With that much lost performance starts to suffer near the end. What's worse? Time lost for aero or more time lost because you crater from lack of hydration?

You might lose 5+ lbs of water weight in a one-effort, but how much can you effectively absorb during that same period? Does it make sense to drink more than you can absorb and have it sit in your belly?

Will anything that you drink during a 30-minute effort be effectively absorbed (to the point where it would make a difference)? And remember, you would probably not take the first drink until at least 10 or 15 minutes into the ride, leaving you with only a few minues for it to be absorbed.
Quote Reply