Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Three quick 1/2 IM questions...
Quote | Reply
In prep. for my first 1/2 IM at age 51:
Take along 2 spare tubes and 2 air cartridges, or 1/1?
Wear skinsuit under wetsuit, or take the extra 30++ seconds in the changing tent to put it on dry?
Plan to pee on the bike?

brother bonk
Quote Reply
Re: Three quick 1/2 IM questions... [brother bonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1). I would take 2/2

2). I always where skinsuit under wetsuit. I plan to do on the IM.

3). I never wait in line. :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2/2 sounds fine.
skinsuit always under the wetsuit - they're very hard to get on a wet body.
pee on the bike if possible. not a big deal though to get off.

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I'd suggest 1/2 or 2/3... it's easy to mess up and riding on half full tire is not fun.

Unless the cold is a factor, definitely wear the skinsuit under your wetsuit. You might consider changing in T2 though in order to be more confortable on the run. This might be important if the run is not your strong suit (pun intended) and it's hot.

Personally, I don't need to pee during an 1/2 IM. (But I do around mile 80/90 during an IM.) Don't plan for it but it's usually easier on the bike course than on the run course. As always, be mindful of the residents. ;)

Cheers,
Alex

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Last edited by: lxrchtt: Sep 2, 05 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done a few 1/2 IM's:

1. 1/1 is fine.....just be sure to check the inside of the tire before mounting the new tube!! Better yet, use tubular clinchers with sealant!!

2. Skinsuit under the wetsuit!

3. I can't help here....I've never needed to pee during a 1/2 IM

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first HIM is in 2 1/2 weeks. I'm carrying 2 tubes and 2 CO2 cartridges, with a frame pump as well.
I'm wearing tri shorts under my wetsuit, and will slip bike shorts over the tri shorts for the bike, and pull them off to run in only trishorts for the run.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One spare tube, 2 cartridges. Slime both of the tubes in your race wheelset. One extra length of tough tape to tape a big hole in your tire should you need to. Whatever you like to wear on the bike under your wetsuit. Pee when needed, not just because you can. Have FUN!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I say one tube and two cartridges. It's pretty easy to mess up and lose the CO2 from one cartridge, so it's nice to have a back up. But getting two flats is unlikely.

2. Suit under the wetsuit. Too hard to put it on while wet. Once I tried to put my jersey on after the swim. The stretching ripped the pins out of my number, so I had to stop and re-pin. Not worth it.

3. Pee as needed.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went 2/2 plus a frame pump. I figured the minor extra weight was no biggie, but getting a couple flats would waste 8+ months of training.

Skinsuit under wetsuit. Pull on bike shorts over the suit in T1 if you like the extra padding.

Try to pee on bike. In my 1/2 IM I was a little too cold, got a little, uh, shrinkage, and just couldn't do it, so I had to stop and pee.

Good luck, make sure to post a RR!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-1 tube/2 cartidges (If it's an important race to you, use new tires)

-Wear it under the wetsuit, it'll dry fast enough and you'll be too jacked up to be cold.

-Pee on the bike. Just stand up on a downslope and let er rip -wash off with h2o
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 1/2

2. wear it under the wetsuit.

3. i always pull off to the side of the road. unless you're planning on winning or placing, why soil yourself, your bike, seat and possibly shoes? on the other hand, if you do have a chance of taking home hardware or $$, don't stop!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 spare + 3 cartridges (2 in a CO2 rubber block on the seatpost, plus one tucked in with gels in bento box, that way in case something happens on rough roads and the ones on the seat go flying, you will have one spare. I also keep my inflator in my bento box, as it would stink to have that rattle off as happened to me once in the first mile of a 1/2IM... I was VERY nervous for the rest of the bike).

Definitely wear your skinsuit under your wetsuit. If you are going to take some time for something, take 10 seconds to put on some extra chamois creme.

Plan to pee on the bike, but you may not need to. But be ready for it. You'll feel better on the run if you do though...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for 1 tube, 2 cartridges. 2 & 3 for IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-) I had to change 2 tubes in my last 1/2. Luckily, I had 2 tubes/2 cartridges.

-) you have a changing tent for a 1/2? What a luxury.

-) Pee as much as you can during the swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the responses - VERY helpful. I'll probably take 4/4 and pee my pants frequently :-)

brother bonk
Quote Reply