Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer...
Quote | Reply
I'll start...
Do:
- work on my Cocoa / Objective-C project...
- listen to the Blues..
- suffer...

Don't:
- watch mind numbing television...
- watch the power meter computer...
- suffer enough for the five plus hours to actually make a difference in my 40k time trial fitness...

I think my primary motivation for doing these long trainer sessions is seeing the expressions on the faces of my cycling friend's faces when they find out how nuts I am...

Only four hours and fifteen minutes to go...

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play.

Don't:
3-5 hr trainer rides unless you're racing a LC race in March

Do:
As much intensity as possible to rack up the TSS quickly so you can get off the trainer faster.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'll play.

Don't:
3-5 hr trainer rides unless you're racing a LC race in March

Do:
As much intensity as possible to rack up the TSS quickly so you can get off the trainer faster.

Considering my CTL stands at 110+ at the moment, and peaked at > 120 on January 1, how much more CTL do you think I can handle?

Only three hours and fifty five minutes to go...

Last edited by: uberslug: Jan 21, 12 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 hour trainer ride??? some people take their training wayyyyy toooo seriously...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do: Move down south so you can ride outside nearly year round. It was 68 @ 7am for my ride this morning :-)
The End
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"only" 2.5 hours for me today. I don't ride long enough to go slow enough so that I could post on ST :)

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
5 hour trainer ride??? some people take their training wayyyyy toooo seriously...

Turned the Big 50 last year so I am running out of time to not take things seriously...

This Winter's training has been an exercise in self discovery in order to see what I am capable at this age. I never really pushed myself this far before so I thought I would give it a try.

Only three hours and thirty minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Meats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meats wrote:
Do: Move down south so you can ride outside nearly year round. It was 68 @ 7am for my ride this morning :-)
The End

Ultimate goal, however, I have an aging parent who refuses to relocate after 52+ years in the same house...

Only three hours and twenty five minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sadly cant play as I've never have and never would do a 5hr set. well done though to you you must really enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physiojoe925 wrote:
"only" 2.5 hours for me today. I don't ride long enough to go slow enough so that I could post on ST :)

-Physiojoe

The legs are definitely ticking over faster than my fingers...

Only three hours and twenty two minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME, one 'don't' is to count the minutes left in your trainer session.

By the end of this winter your sig line may have changed to knowing enough that 5 hours on the trainer in January suuuuuucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [3carlos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3carlos wrote:
IME, one 'don't' is to count the minutes left in your trainer session.

By the end of this winter your sig line may have changed to knowing enough that 5 hours on the trainer in January suuuuuucks.

Yes, it does. In fact, I think five hours on the trainer during any month pretty much sucks...

Only three hours and ten minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can barely get thru 2 hours in the trainer.
I think for a 5 hour ride, I would need to put my Adamo on backwards for a while and fill it with chamois lube. But then, I would probably fall asleep right afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez... I hope you live somewhere where there's a foot of snow on the ground. If not I would say the next thing you should do is make an appointement with your shrink!

I reach the verge of insanity after two hours.

http://rogersroadrash.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't:
Pee on the bike.

That's all I got. Enjoy your ride...

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't: waste my time on any trainer ride longer than 2.5hrs
Do: work my ass off during 2.5hr trainer rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
I can barely get thru 2 hours in the trainer.
I think for a 5 hour ride, I would need to put my Adamo on backwards for a while and fill it with chamois lube. But then, I would probably fall asleep right afterwards.

One of my Don'ts should have been 'Don't think about how much one's ass hurts...'

Only two hours and fifty eight minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Rolly Jogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolly Jogger wrote:
Geez... I hope you live somewhere where there's a foot of snow on the ground. If not I would say the next thing you should do is make an appointement with your shrink!

I reach the verge of insanity after two hours.

Not nearly a foot, but enough sloppiness to ruin a bike, especially if I were to fall down.

My shrink fired me long ago...

Only two hours and fifty five minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Don't:
Pee on the bike.

That's all I got. Enjoy your ride...

Good one!!!

Only two hours and fifty four minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do:
Think about investing in a surly moonlander so that you don't have to do a 5 hr trainer ride in the winter!

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [MarkJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkJB wrote:
Don't: waste my time on any trainer ride longer than 2.5hrs
Do: work my ass off during 2.5hr trainer rides.

Life is a waste of time when one really thinks about it.

Sometimes it pays to work on the mental side of things so when things are going really badly one can say to oneself, 'Self, you somehow managed to finish five hour trainer rides so another 'X' number of minutes of pain is something you should be able to endure.'

Only two hours and fifty minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often are (allegedly) doing these 5-hour trainer rides?

That sounds like absolute torture.

I enjoyed my 2.5 hr ride this morning in about 70F weather. We're doing 5 hours tomorrow, predicted forecast: 70F and partly cloudy. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do:
Have 6+ water bottles of fluid lined up + lots of snacks.
Watch you power meter. In fact, try at least 1 x 3 hr trainerroad.com workout (did one on Thursday as I had the day off work and too much snow outside).
Mix up your efforts with a 'planned' workout, or you will be bored to tears and the time goes by much faster.
Have 2 fans running so you don't chafe from all the sweat and crust up your bike as well.
Have your screen far enough away with a wireless mouse/keyboard so you don't ruin your laptop by sweating all over your computer screen and typing.
Have lots of good tunes available.

Don't:
don't ride for 5 hours on a trainer. You don't need to (unless you have an IM coming up soon).
don't pee off your bike into a container. Its not a race. Just go to the bathroom.
don't tell your friends you do 5 hr rides on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train pretty seriously on a trainer, but I have to say, I get big time reality checks on not just my mental fortitude, but also my fitness when I aim to do 2+ hours on a trainer.

I always plan on doing these monster 2-3 hour sessions, but after the 2 hour mark, my back, neck, and mind are just toast. And I can readily do 90 mile outdoor rides with 6000ft of climbing during race season. Trainer is tough. And legit.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kmill23 wrote:
How often are (allegedly) doing these 5-hour trainer rides?

That sounds like absolute torture.

I enjoyed my 2.5 hr ride this morning in about 70F weather. We're doing 5 hours tomorrow, predicted forecast: 70F and partly cloudy. :-)

Only on Saturdays when the weather outside is too cold (below 40 degrees F) or inclement. Thankfully, this is only the second one this Winter. Last Saturday was the first.

It does feel really good to stop.

I am really envious.

Only two hours and thirty two minutes to go...

Quote Reply

Prev Next