Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
Really? game on, we will have to stagger the start or do a bike or run before the swim..what shall we call it? and Jeff I am calling you out on this!

How about Stupid Man?

Oh sure, you don't get your bluff called but now you're all in!!!

I just heard from Crazy Joe this weekend.  I'll ring him up and try to make it a real event....
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will have to shorten the run as I am recovering from binge running...How about Sufferman? We could change the date too?
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
We will have to shorten the run as I am recovering from binge running...How about Sufferman? We could change the date too?

we could wrap it around the Oshkosh 1/2 in April.

BTW, had lunch with Matt today and committed to Mighty Wolf (among others).
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to let the young man kick my butt any more...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
I'm not going to let the young man kick my butt any more...

yeah that Bryce is annoying :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thread. I did five hours on the trainer on a snowy day about two months ago, Z2-3. The session was not something I thought about much ahead of time, but as the goofiness of the lark unfolded before me--and the slush piled higher on my window sill--I kept adding hours to what was supposed to have been a 90 minute ride. It just seemed funny in a stupid sorta way to add an hour, and then and another. Like you, at the end I thought it was more of a mental than a physical accomplishment. Then again, once I hit three hours, getting to five was a breeze--one does kind of zone out after a while, even when the effort is maintained.

But the most suprising aspect about the little adventure was the depth of animosity it engendered in other triathletes when I--with a sheepish and sef-deprecating grin, or so I thought--told them about my work out. An animosity reflected in some of the comments to this thread. Funny how people get.

I did want to mention one thing I did that helpfed the time pass, FWIW. For most of the ride I stared a dark TV screen. But in the middle portion I popped The Bourne Identity onto the DVD player. Whenever Jason ran or got into a dustup, which was not infrequently, I got out of the saddle and pushed into Z3. Damonervals?
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Puncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Puncher wrote:
Thanks for the thread. I did five hours on the trainer on a snowy day about two months ago, Z2-3. The session was not something I thought about much ahead of time, but as the goofiness of the lark unfolded before me--and the slush piled higher on my window sill--I kept adding hours to what was supposed to have been a 90 minute ride. It just seemed funny in a stupid sorta way to add an hour, and then and another. Like you, at the end I thought it was more of a mental than a physical accomplishment. Then again, once I hit three hours, getting to five was a breeze--one does kind of zone out after a while, even when the effort is maintained.

But the most suprising aspect about the little adventure was the depth of animosity it engendered in other triathletes when I--with a sheepish and sef-deprecating grin, or so I thought--told them about my work out. An animosity reflected in some of the comments to this thread. Funny how people get.

I did want to mention one thing I did that helpfed the time pass, FWIW. For most of the ride I stared a dark TV screen. But in the middle portion I popped The Bourne Identity onto the DVD player. Whenever Jason ran or got into a dustup, which was not infrequently, I got out of the saddle and pushed into Z3. Damonervals?

You better trademark 'Damonervals' before anyone else does. Have you given the Matrix Trilogy a try yet? Neo has some really long dustups. You could call them Matrixervals...

I find getting to the half way point is the key with any set of intervals or long sessions on the trainer. If I can get to the 50.1 percent point then it is all down hill from there.

I wasn't really expecting much of a thread to start and I really wasn't expecting to be taken to task for trying to have a little fun while doing something most of us on this forum would consider somewhat daunting. I do find the 'if you're not at FTP^3 wattage level you're wasting your time' comments kind of comical. As you can clearly see in this graph I have been riding a great deal since the end of June so there is plenty of time for the hard stuff, besides, it's only frickin January.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/o5ork

I guess it boils down to: Those who can, do. Those who can't can only try to put down those who can.

Oh yeah, the screenshot is from the Cocoa / Objective-C project I work on when doing recovery and endurance rides on the trainer...

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Last edited by: uberslug: Jan 23, 12 16:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
YTZ wrote:
Really? game on, we will have to stagger the start or do a bike or run before the swim..what shall we call it? and Jeff I am calling you out on this!

How about Stupid Man?

Oh sure, you don't get your bluff called but now you're all in!!!

I just heard from Crazy Joe this weekend. I'll ring him up and try to make it a real event....

Better yet, how about putting a slight twist on the Beatles' Nowhere Man and calling it GoingNowhereMan...

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys have backs of steel to stay aero for 5 hours. I'd be the studmaster cyclist if I could pull that off. After 2 hours, I'm constantly popping out of aero to stretch the back. Need to HTFU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Have you given the Matrix Trilogy a try yet? Neo has some really long dustups. You could call them Matrixervals...

Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 things I don't do on a 5+ hour ride on a trainer....

1) hour 3
2) hour 4
3) hour 5

I have a friend who used to go for 8 hours at a time on his trainer. But, he was training for 24 hour events.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would need to have bet a substantial amount of money to be able to sit on a trainer for 5 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a trainer?

(I ride outside. I wear a jacket if necessary. the scenery changes when you ride outside)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am unable to read a book or type on a computer while on the trainer (I stay in aero), so I find it interesting that you can computer program while on yours.
Quote Reply

Prev Next