Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [zippewa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gret job. Big props to you.
Ignore anyone who doesnt see the value in this - there is a 100% chance theyve never even attempted a rrainer ride half this long.

Big time mental, endurance, position and pacing benefits. I wish i could do that - ive tried and cant.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what I meant to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [zippewa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zippewa wrote:
Thats what I meant to say.

It's a good thing you had a translator willing to help you out...

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Gret job. Big props to you.
Ignore anyone who doesnt see the value in this - there is a 100% chance theyve never even attempted a rrainer ride half this long.

Big time mental, endurance, position and pacing benefits. I wish i could do that - ive tried and cant.

Ultimately, the only person that needs to be happy with my endeavors is me, so, thank you...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uberslug wrote:
tri2112 wrote:
Ain't nothing but a thing...trained exclusively on rollers for 3 IMs. Plenty of 5-hr+ rides; heck I have even done a long roller ride and then a long on the treadmill and I never had to leave the house!

IMO, if you can ride 5-hrs on the trainer/rollers and stay aero you will be in much better shape in the last 1/3 of an IM bike leg. Most people are sitting up & stretching constantly because they never trained their bodies to be aero for so long (the legs are fine but the back & neck are fatigued).

PS- don't forget the chamois cream and re-apply often!!

All you need is one of those endless pools and you could do an entire tri in the comfort of your own home...

I thought about that, it would save me from shelling out $600/year for race fees, so over time it may a worthy investment :)!
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I think there are very few things more beneficial for road racing than doing some very long hours on a trainer at a decent pace. Including some intervals to keep the monotony to a minimum does wonders to keep you entertained and get your body used to doing hard efforts at the end of a long stage.

Very few people are willing to push themselves for long rides on a trainer but if you are willing the benefits are obvious when you get to racing in the spring.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri2112 wrote:
Ain't nothing but a thing...trained exclusively on rollers for 3 IMs. Plenty of 5-hr+ rides; heck I have even done a long roller ride and then a long on the treadmill and I never had to leave the house!

mmmm your room must smell nice after that workout
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri2112 wrote:
uberslug wrote:
tri2112 wrote:

IMO, if you can ride 5-hrs on the trainer/rollers and stay aero you will be in much better shape in the last 1/3 of an IM bike leg. Most people are sitting up & stretching constantly because they never trained their bodies to be aero for so long (the legs are fine but the back & neck are fatigued).

All you need is one of those endless pools and you could do an entire tri in the comfort of your own home...

I thought about that, it would save me from shelling out $600/year for race fees, so over time it may a worthy investment :)!

The birth of stay at home triathlons. Just think how many gallons of fuel would be saved by people staying home doing their triathlons...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For that rider to go from 55 to 51min for 40K he wasn't doing 5 hr rides and checking slowtwitch while doing so.....Instead, he was busting his ass and riding his legs off for extremely intense sessions. Congrats on the 5 hour ride tho... It can help build your mental strength and help build your aerobic engine:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uberslug wrote:
The idea of running to the bathroom when I have diarrhea makes me want to curl up under the blankets and hide from the world. Sixteen miles on a treadmill while running? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Only three minutes to go...

In honor of you achievement, and looking at shitty snowy slush covered roads and unshoveled sidewalks, ran 16.5 in 2 hours on treadmill today. Still better than 2 hours ( or 5!) on the trainer....

tri2112 wrote:
uberslug wrote:
tri2112 wrote:

I am still seriously considering a Vasa swim trainer to do just that - train all 3 legs in my own garage, as I do most of my training in the wee early hours (dark) or late hours (dark) with the exception of summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baxnelly wrote:
uberslug wrote:

The idea of running to the bathroom when I have diarrhea makes me want to curl up under the blankets and hide from the world. Sixteen miles on a treadmill while running? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Only three minutes to go...

In honor of you achievement, and looking at shitty snowy slush covered roads and unshoveled sidewalks, ran 16.5 in 2 hours on treadmill today. Still better than 2 hours ( or 5!) on the trainer....

You are a better man than I...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow man you have guts. Thats long
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a midwest guy so long rides in the middle of the living room are the norm for me as well leading up to spring time.

Do: Watch tivo'd IM events
have fully charged ipod in close proximity
have proper amount of nutrition (I make a point to never hop off the bike to grab another water bottle or gel, gotta have it dialed in for the duration of the ride)

Dont: Watch shows on TV that I have seen the episode many times
Have any clocks visible from the saddle
Have phone handy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 8 hours once... back in the Navy, stuck on a ship at sea so there was no 'real' option to ride outside. Had to stow my set-up in a small storage room for test equipment, so no TV, only a stereo to help pass the time. ST couldn't have even been a twinkle in Dan's eye yet since the interwebs weren't public yet.

Do: stand frequently, to relieve the taint pressure long enough to get some circulation returning to the junk

Don't: think about the total time, only the current/next song.

Don't remember a whole lot else. I'd worked my way up from a long ride of 2-4 hours before jumping up to 8, and still regularly did 60-90 mins several times a week over the course of that deployment. I'd hate it now rather than putting on thermal/raingear to go outside, but back then 'motivation' simply consisted of having nothing better to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try it with no music, tv, radio just you and the bike and a fan.....only the toughest minds allow that!
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like a relaxing IM bike leg.......

anyone ever do a full IM inside? like at a 'mall' or something for charity? that would be cool

set up an endless pool, a set of rollers, a treadmill and a porta potty. at 7am someone say 'go'...10hrs later you just 'stop'

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd stop earlier..come over Sunday if u really want too
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where is 'here'? sounds like 'fun' in a sick and twisted "i don't really think i CAN do that but would be willing to try" sorta way.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thankfully i'm not going to make it sunday.........bummer

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of this article (http://www.outsideonline.com/templates/Outside_Print_Template?content=123348183) from Outside Mag on ultra-cyclist John Stamstad:

"Stamstad says that he knows he's mentally ready for a race when he can do a five-hour stint on the wind trainer, maintaining a heart rate of 155 beats per minute while staring at a blank wall."

-Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So am I ...thanks for not calling my bluff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
So am I ...thanks for not calling my bluff!

too bad..... I was just getting my bag and bike together......
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? game on, we will have to stagger the start or do a bike or run before the swim..what shall we call it? and Jeff I am calling you out on this!
Quote Reply

Prev Next