Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how did you descend so much altitude on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uberslug wrote:
Jordano wrote:
Let's see a screen pic of the SRM for today's ride. Or it didn't happen and you are the world's most devoted liar.

I seem to be having difficulty pasting a picture in, however, here is a link to a screenshot of the ride.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/pus3f
[/img]

Would you care for the file as well?

Nice job keeping constant power. for the duration. What an absolutely fabulous demonstration of cardiac drift and why heart rate isn't a very effective pacing measure.
Did you average watts end up ~ 190?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jan 21, 12 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 5 hrs on a trainer is pointless but maybe better than having to sit in a cont. Ed class like i did today. I'd say your dumb for doing it but then you told someone "life is a waste of time if you think about it." I find that statement very funny and honest, and definately not dumb. I hope you got something out of it... The 5 hrs that is.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [calsbeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
calsbeek wrote:
how did you descend so much altitude on the trainer?

The PowerControl VIs Altitude Measurement is based on barometric pressure so I guess the pressure was going up as the ride went on. I have files will changes in elevation of 1,000 meters while sitting on the bike in the basement. I don't think it works very well when the barometric pressure changes a great deal during inclement weather. It is the only thing that the PowerControl VI doesn't do well, but, I don't really care that much about altitude gains and losses so it is no big deal to me.

The cardiac drift is somewhat interesting though. Perhaps it is due to dehydration as I was about three pounds light at this morning's weigh in.

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh god, way to bring back all those memories I had repressed... training for IMWA and being in Vancouver meant a lot of 5+hr trainer rides, a few 6+hr ones and one that cracked 7hrs. Yes. It sucked ass.

things I did during:
- listened to tunes (i had two MP3 players so I could switch thru - this was in '05 so not a lot of memory on those old models)
- got off at least once to pee stretch and refill bottles/grab more gels
- made sure I changed my position periodically (used to ride aero for 8min then sit up for 2min, or aero for 20min then sit up for 5) and changed the tempo/gearing once in a while - tried to use the workout structure to help the time pass....

things I didn't do:
- watch tv/movies - I have tried it and I found I just didn't focus on the workout as much
- first time I didn't put enough lube on the giblies - that was miserable
- anything that remotely looked like anaerobic/Z5 stuff, really used the HRM to keep the effort within planned workout ranges.
- didn't use a fan - I was training for heat so I wore long sleeves, tights, toque (also sucked a lot but made race day in Oz a lot easier)

Welcome to the realm of stupidity my friend. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Nice job keep constant power. for the duration. What an absolutely fabulous demonstration of cardiac drift and why heart rate isn't a very effective pacing measure.
Did you average watts end up ~ 190?

Hugh

The cardiac drift is a little more pronounced than usual (perhaps due to dehydration as I stated in another post). If I had a heart rate monitor I probably would have been putting out 150 watts at the end.

The final average was 186.4. Nothing special, but right in the middle of my endurance zone at the moment.

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [goallout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goallout wrote:
I think 5 hrs on a trainer is pointless but maybe better than having to sit in a cont. Ed class like i did today. I'd say your dumb for doing it but then you told someone "life is a waste of time if you think about it." I find that statement very funny and honest, and definately not dumb. I hope you got something out of it... The 5 hrs that is.

It was, at the very least, entertaining as the posts helped occupy some of the time I would have spent staring at the clock.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i said successive days, i didn't say all week. you should quit being so defensive. some folks will think this ride was fairly worthless from a training perspective, others will be in awe of your ability to sit on a trainer for 5 hours, some will do both

if this truely works for you in some way, then good, keep at it. for me, it would be a waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Oh god, way to bring back all those memories I had repressed... training for IMWA and being in Vancouver meant a lot of 5+hr trainer rides, a few 6+hr ones and one that cracked 7hrs. Yes. It sucked ass.

things I did during:
- listened to tunes (i had two MP3 players so I could switch thru - this was in '05 so not a lot of memory on those old models)
- got off at least once to pee stretch and refill bottles/grab more gels
- made sure I changed my position periodically (used to ride aero for 8min then sit up for 2min, or aero for 20min then sit up for 5) and changed the tempo/gearing once in a while - tried to use the workout structure to help the time pass....

things I didn't do:
- watch tv/movies - I have tried it and I found I just didn't focus on the workout as much
- first time I didn't put enough lube on the giblies - that was miserable
- anything that remotely looked like anaerobic/Z5 stuff, really used the HRM to keep the effort within planned workout ranges.
- didn't use a fan - I was training for heat so I wore long sleeves, tights, toque (also sucked a lot but made race day in Oz a lot easier)

Welcome to the realm of stupidity my friend. :-)

AP

How on earth did you manage to ride on a trainer without a fan for that long. I am not much of a sweater, but, I have to have a fan on the low setting to keep from getting completely drenched. I suppose I could drink more (drank one large bottle and one small bottle of water today with a 12 ounce caffeine free coke with an hour to go as the taste of the water wasn't doing it for me by that point) and that would help, but, damn, riding a trainer in long sleeves and tights is beyond the call of duty.

I am very well acquainted with the realm of stupidity...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
i said successive days, i didn't say all week. you should quit being so defensive. some folks will think this ride was fairly worthless from a training perspective, others will be in awe of your ability to sit on a trainer for 5 hours, some will do both

if this truely works for you in some way, then good, keep at it. for me, it would be a waste of time.

No, you didn't write all week and I agree that back to back 200+ point days are relatively easy, physically. Even back to back 300+ point days aren't out of the question given the right circumstances.

This was more of a mental exercise than a physical one. I find the idea of five hour rides outdoors exhilarating even in less than ideal conditions. Staring down five hours on the trainer, however, makes me feel far less enthusiastic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I'm still not a fan of fans (hardeeharhar) on the trainer. Dumb I guess. Had to be ready to race in up to 30degC coming from Vancouver (maybe on a good day 7degC and wet) and I had little options. I recall one ride sitting under the furnace vent (in the basement so the heat cam from the vent in the ceiling).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I don't know, I'm still not a fan of fans (hardeeharhar) on the trainer. Dumb I guess. Had to be ready to race in up to 30degC coming from Vancouver (maybe on a good day 7degC and wet) and I had little options. I recall one ride sitting under the furnace vent (in the basement so the heat cam from the vent in the ceiling).

AP

Reminds me of an old story about the Harley Davidson Racing Team doing engine testing in Wisconsin during the Winter and then going to Daytona and blowing up all of their engines in the heat. It turned out they had shaved down all of their cooling fins to keep the engines up to temperature during testing but had forgotten to install and pack cylinders with deeper fins to withstand the heat in Florida.

Good for you for being well prepared.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do:
watch old episodes of IM World Championship on DVD
Take stretch breaks every hour or so to save my back
Follow my nutrition plan for the IM I am training for
Have a fan blowing on me

Don't:
spend a ton of time in the aero position, it kills me on the trainer.

I only did this a few times leading up to IM Arizona in November.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [TheNoid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheNoid wrote:
Do:
watch old episodes of IM World Championship on DVD
Take stretch breaks every hour or so to save my back
Follow my nutrition plan for the IM I am training for
Have a fan blowing on me

Don't:
spend a ton of time in the aero position, it kills me on the trainer.

I only did this a few times leading up to IM Arizona in November.

Unfortunately I don't have any cycling related DVDs. I do like watching the Spring Classics live while doing trainer workouts when the weather sucks.

I find it very difficult to ride in the aero position at lower power levels on the trainer. I am fine at time trial pace but I feel out of sorts at lower intensities. I don't like riding in the aero position at lower wattages on the road either so I don't think I would be a good triathlete since I would feel compelled to ride too hard and have nothing left for the run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I am hoping I do not have to do any 5 hour rides on a trainer in prep for IM Texas. I did 2.5 yesterday all at around 70% my FTP and it was boring. I have done 3 with intervals but that was mentally tough. I always watch TV or movies and I make sure to try to cover my bike comp so I am not constantly looking at the time, I might cover so I can only see the power to make sure I am at my zones. But there is something mentally fulfilling knowing you can grind out that long in one place but boy I hope I can get outside for my long rides this year! I watch the Ironman stuff online so if you can check it out, it helps me remember what I am training for.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Man, I am hoping I do not have to do any 5 hour rides on a trainer in prep for IM Texas. I did 2.5 yesterday all at around 70% my FTP and it was boring. I have done 3 with intervals but that was mentally tough. I always watch TV or movies and I make sure to try to cover my bike comp so I am not constantly looking at the time, I might cover so I can only see the power to make sure I am at my zones. But there is something mentally fulfilling knowing you can grind out that long in one place but boy I hope I can get outside for my long rides this year! I watch the Ironman stuff online so if you can check it out, it helps me remember what I am training for.

Yes, it is boring, and tedious, and monotonous as well. Fortunately I have only done two of them as the weather so far this Winter has been quite reasonable. The weather next weekend looks to be better than this weekend so hopefully I won't be doing another one of these threads...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't like the 2 plus hours on the trainer but with a good movie it isn't terrible. If there wasn't a snow storm Friday I would have been outside and, like you, the weather looks good for next week. I do all my shorter rides on the trainer because it's more convenient when I'm waking up at 5 am before I have to go to classy

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice. Why don't you just ride at 370 watts for 2.5 hrs and you will rack up the same kjs? That certainly wouldn't be boring...

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much respect; well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The following works for me...

Do:
- Have many entertainment options at your disposal. Movies, tv shows, music, audio books, etc... You never know what you'll need during those long sessions. Sometimes all you need is silence. Regardless, I try and save the good stuff for after the 2.5 hour mark. I need it most then.

- Change shorts halfway through the ride. It makes a huge difference in comfort and is a nice reward for getting as far as you have.

- Put a can of chicken noodle soup in a bottle and down it during the back half of the ride. There is something about getting real food in the system during those long trainer rides. Gives me a great mental perk.
Last edited by: Alex M: Jan 21, 12 22:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ain't nothing but a thing...trained exclusively on rollers for 3 IMs. Plenty of 5-hr+ rides; heck I have even done a long roller ride and then a long on the treadmill and I never had to leave the house!

IMO, if you can ride 5-hrs on the trainer/rollers and stay aero you will be in much better shape in the last 1/3 of an IM bike leg. Most people are sitting up & stretching constantly because they never trained their bodies to be aero for so long (the legs are fine but the back & neck are fatigued).

PS- don't forget the chamois cream and re-apply often!!
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
Very nice. Why don't you just ride at 370 watts for 2.5 hrs and you will rack up the same kjs? That certainly wouldn't be boring...

I'd be a liar if I said I could ride at 370 for any length of time greater than five minutes...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:
The following works for me...

Do:
- Have many entertainment options at your disposal. Movies, tv shows, music, audio books, etc... You never know what you'll need during those long sessions. Sometimes all you need is silence. Regardless, I try and save the good stuff for after the 2.5 hour mark. I need it most then.

- Change shorts halfway through the ride. It makes a huge difference in comfort and is a nice reward for getting as far as you have.

- Put a can of chicken noodle soup in a bottle and down it during the back half of the ride. There is something about getting real food in the system during those long trainer rides. Gives me a great mental perk.

You know, I never would have thought of changing shorts part of the way through. I am sure it would make a huge difference just getting out of the sweaty ones.

I do like the idea of chicken noodle soup during a long trainer session. I don't much go for gels or sports drinks as they upset my stomach. I have been known to keep a pile of home baked chocolate chip cookies within arm's reach just in case I get seriously bored or hungry.

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri2112 wrote:
Ain't nothing but a thing...trained exclusively on rollers for 3 IMs. Plenty of 5-hr+ rides; heck I have even done a long roller ride and then a long on the treadmill and I never had to leave the house!

IMO, if you can ride 5-hrs on the trainer/rollers and stay aero you will be in much better shape in the last 1/3 of an IM bike leg. Most people are sitting up & stretching constantly because they never trained their bodies to be aero for so long (the legs are fine but the back & neck are fatigued).

PS- don't forget the chamois cream and re-apply often!!

All you need is one of those endless pools and you could do an entire tri in the comfort of your own home...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot myself. No thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next