Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:
You rock! Most I've ever done 3.5 hours - and I was ready to die mentally! Only 35min hard this AM followed by 5k hard on TM due to ice for roads!

Hang in there!

Thanks, dude.

Only thirty seven minutes to go...

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW -

#1 Don't - Dont think about how much your junk hurts

#1 Do - realize that the mental toughness you have demonstrated will serve you well!

Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Quote:
Read the article ' Breaking Through: How an Athlete Took his 40K TT from 55:31 to 51:29 in 1-Year'. After riding a 55:25 on only 10 to 12 hours a week I decided to see what I could do if I pushed the envelope a bit.

5 easy hours on the trainer isn't going to get you there

Now that I have had some time to reflect on your statement, I don't think I ever wrote that I expected to get to 51:29 by riding for five hours on the trainer.

The point of this 'quest' isn't to beat someone else's time, it is to push boundaries. Now that I am into my sixth decade I am realizing that most of my beliefs regarding my limits are based on other people's assessment of what I am capable of, not on my own.

If it helps, great, if it doesn't, that is great, too. One doesn't know what one is capable of until they try to do it.

Only seventeen more minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:
BTW -

#1 Don't - Dont think about how much your junk hurts

#1 Do - realize that the mental toughness you have demonstrated will serve you well!

Excellent!

Only sixteen more minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
65%ftp is easy, it is essentially right above recovery ride, tho it would be mind numbingly boring as all get out, even outdoors, hence your continual updates
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
65%ftp is easy, it is essentially right above recovery ride, tho it would be mind numbingly boring as all get out, even outdoors, hence your continual updates

So it's boring. What are you doing right now besides posting on a forum? It may neither be the best, nor the most expedient, but, it is more than nothing at all.

Only eight minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are nuts!

90 minutes on the bike was all I could muster today. Anything over 90 drives me bonkers. Though if I could surf the web it may go faster.

Now, 2 hours or more on a treadmill doesn't phase me. Ran ~ 16 last Sunday while watching football, weather looks like crap again tomorrow so probably another long treadmill run but won't bug me at all.

Done???
Just in from a nice afternoon xc ski, gorgeous out there. Reading through this thread is like a snow motion train wreck. Nice job on getting through it, that's a big day.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baxnelly wrote:
You are nuts!

90 minutes on the bike was all I could muster today. Anything over 90 drives me bonkers. Though if I could surf the web it may go faster.

Now, 2 hours or more on a treadmill doesn't phase me. Ran ~ 16 last Sunday while watching football, weather looks like crap again tomorrow so probably another long treadmill run but won't bug me at all.

The idea of running to the bathroom when I have diarrhea makes me want to curl up under the blankets and hide from the world. Sixteen miles on a treadmill while running? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Only three minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [3carlos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3carlos wrote:
Done???
Just in from a nice afternoon xc ski, gorgeous out there. Reading through this thread is like a snow motion train wreck. Nice job on getting through it, that's a big day.

Just finished.

Have a good day, all...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do: Having company helps
DO NOT: have your company determine the watts that you will suffer through during ride
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [trihard1212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihard1212 wrote:
Do: Having company helps
DO NOT: have your company determine the watts that you will suffer through during ride

Two very good suggestions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playing with my kids......... :)-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:

I disagree. 5 hours on the trainer, which is nonstop, even at that 'easy' pace gets friggin' hard after 2.5 hrs. I'm shocked at how low my power drops once the back pain, neck pain, and lack of motivation kick in.

I can HTFU with the best of them and am a die-hard trainer user, but anything over 2.5hrs is hard core. If I could do 65%FTP for 5 hrs, I'd call that an awesome workout on the trainer. My back, butt, groin, and leg fatigue kick in way before that. And when in shape I have no problems doing 90 milers with 6000 feet of climbing. That's easy stuff compared to 5 hrs on the trainer at 65% FTP for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some clown shoe wheels would do anyone right.

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
jeffp wrote:

I disagree. 5 hours on the trainer, which is nonstop, even at that 'easy' pace gets friggin' hard after 2.5 hrs. I'm shocked at how low my power drops once the back pain, neck pain, and lack of motivation kick in.

I can HTFU with the best of them and am a die-hard trainer user, but anything over 2.5hrs is hard core. If I could do 65%FTP for 5 hrs, I'd call that an awesome workout on the trainer. My back, butt, groin, and leg fatigue kick in way before that. And when in shape I have no problems doing 90 milers with 6000 feet of climbing. That's easy stuff compared to 5 hrs on the trainer at 65% FTP for me.
Agreed. Also, it gets difficult for me to mentally my maintain normal cadence... and, obviously, power starts going down because of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the funny thing is you could have done a 2x20 with 2 minutes rest at 1 hour pace and gotten a better workout than some 5 hour screwoff fest where you were able to do stuff like type messages on slowtwitch or do whatever else you were doing, complete waste of time, secondly, not sure where you are from but this has been the warmest winter in years, in the midwest at least, ive done at least a four hour outdoor ride every weekend from october to mid january until it snowed last weekend, even when the winter is bad i can pretty much do five our rides in at least 8 or 9 months of the year, so doing one on a trainer is a joke, and really, 5 hour rides outside dont do much for you either unless they are done mostly at ironman race pace
Last edited by: goregrind: Jan 21, 12 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goregrind wrote:
the funny thing is you could have done a 2x20 with 2 minutes rest at 1 hour pace and gotten a better workout than some 5 hour screwoff fest where you were able to do stuff like type messages on slowtwitch or do whatever else you were doing, complete waste of time, secondly, not sure where you are from but this has been the warmest winter in years, in the midwest at least, ive done at least a four hour outdoor ride every weekend from october to mid january until it snowed last weekend, even when the winter is bad i can pretty much do five our rides in at least 8 or 9 months of the year, so doing one on a trainer is a joke, and really, 5 hour rides outside dont do much for you either unless they are done mostly at ironman race pace

Totally disagree there. 5hr ride is a very different workout than 2x 20.

2x 20 hurts like a total ***** but after I'm done, my legs are 100% fine. I could race the very next day.

5 hours on a trainer should give you some serious leg fatigue. Granted, I don't ride so casually that I can type and read books, but for the first hour, it feels downright ridiculously easy at 19mph on a Cycleops2. An hour later, things start to hurt and the legs are starting to fatigue since there is no coasting. 2:30 later, I can't really last too much longer - I think the longest I've gone is 2:50 and I was toast. Even though my speed didn't really slow in the final hour, holding 19mph required a serious effort from me - I could barely watch a movie. And in that shape, I could ride 75 miles with 6000ft of climbing no problem. Hammering most of the climbs.

Now I could probably have dialed it down just to survive for another 2 hours, but I'm pretty sure that the leg fatigue would have still got me at that point.

Anyone who thinks 2x20 >>> 5 hrs on a trainer has obviously never done more than 2 hrs on a trainer. Long rides on a trainer are legit. Not the most exciting thing, and I still hate doing them unless I have to, but there is no doubt that they are good workouts. (Ok, you probably shouldn't be playing video games on it at the same time - that's probably too easy for 2.5hrs but if you're going 5 hours, I'll give it to you.)
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [AwesomePossum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
power does not have to drop because cadance does, shift gears, apply more force,etc

personaly, I cannot stand 65% unless I am really sick, and then I should be in bed instead. 5 hours of that and I would probably never ride then bike again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200TSS is not hard on successive days
Last edited by: jeffp: Jan 21, 12 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 hours on the trainer yesterday for me and then 5 hours outside today. that long on a trainer sucks but it will be worth it when you see the results. another 5 hour trainer ride tmrw? where do you live

Call of Duty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
200TSS is not hard on successive days

So how many 200 point TSS days do you do in a row? Judging (albeit, loosely) from your statement, your CTL should be around 180 or so. Is that the case? If not, why not?

Since you are a clairvoyant and presume to know what an appropriate training plan would be for me, why don't you write one out and send it to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Dooayne Tries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dooayne Tries wrote:
4 hours on the trainer yesterday for me and then 5 hours outside today. that long on a trainer sucks but it will be worth it when you see the results. another 5 hour trainer ride tmrw? where do you live

We'll see how these 50 year old legs are feeling tomorrow. Last weekend I did five on Saturday and four on Sunday with a ten minute just shy of ftp effort at the end of the fourth hour on Sunday.

In the snow and ice covered Mid Atlantic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see a screen pic of the SRM for today's ride. Or it didn't happen and you are the world's most devoted liar.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
Let's see a screen pic of the SRM for today's ride. Or it didn't happen and you are the world's most devoted liar.

I seem to be having difficulty pasting a picture in, however, here is a link to a screenshot of the ride.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/pus3f
[/img]

Would you care for the file as well?

Last edited by: uberslug: Jan 21, 12 17:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next