Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I train pretty seriously on a trainer, but I have to say, I get big time reality checks on not just my mental fortitude, but also my fitness when I aim to do 2+ hours on a trainer.

I always plan on doing these monster 2-3 hour sessions, but after the 2 hour mark, my back, neck, and mind are just toast. And I can readily do 90 mile outdoor rides with 6000ft of climbing during race season. Trainer is tough. And legit.

All of my weekday riding is on a trainer. About 90 minutes is all I can stand in one session. Usually do intervals to introduce some intensity, break the monotony, and get more 'bang for my buck.'
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't:
- Do 5h rides in January unless you're racing IM next month.

Also if you're able to post on ST, work, etc... you're not riding hard enough. Even for a 5h ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [uberslug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uberslug wrote:
kmill23 wrote:
How often are (allegedly) doing these 5-hour trainer rides?

That sounds like absolute torture.

I enjoyed my 2.5 hr ride this morning in about 70F weather. We're doing 5 hours tomorrow, predicted forecast: 70F and partly cloudy. :-)

Only on Saturdays when the weather outside is too cold (below 40 degrees F) or inclement. Thankfully, this is only the second one this Winter. Last Saturday was the first.

It does feel really good to stop.

I am really envious.

Only two hours and thirty two minutes to go...

Wait. You're sort of an anomoly. You're crazy/tough enough to ride 5 hours on a trainer, but not tough enough to ride in 40F weather????

I've done rides below freezing and with snow still on the ground (which is pretty rare here in Mississippi), but no snow on the roads and really enjoyed them! I guess if there is snow on the roads, then I'd opt for the trainer.

Good luck. Have . . . . . . . . fun????
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [martman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martman wrote:
Do:
Have 6+ water bottles of fluid lined up + lots of snacks.
Watch you power meter. In fact, try at least 1 x 3 hr trainerroad.com workout (did one on Thursday as I had the day off work and too much snow outside).
Mix up your efforts with a 'planned' workout, or you will be bored to tears and the time goes by much faster.
Have 2 fans running so you don't chafe from all the sweat and crust up your bike as well.
Have your screen far enough away with a wireless mouse/keyboard so you don't ruin your laptop by sweating all over your computer screen and typing.
Have lots of good tunes available.

Don't:
don't ride for 5 hours on a trainer. You don't need to (unless you have an IM coming up soon).
don't pee off your bike into a container. Its not a race. Just go to the bathroom.
don't tell your friends you do 5 hr rides on a trainer.

All good points.

Only two hours and twenty seven minutes to go...

I know enough to know I don't know enough...
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I train pretty seriously on a trainer, but I have to say, I get big time reality checks on not just my mental fortitude, but also my fitness when I aim to do 2+ hours on a trainer.

I always plan on doing these monster 2-3 hour sessions, but after the 2 hour mark, my back, neck, and mind are just toast. And I can readily do 90 mile outdoor rides with 6000ft of climbing during race season. Trainer is tough. And legit.

Just before getting started I do a sanity check. I look in the mirror and say to the reflection 'Are you really insane enough to do this?' This morning the reflection said 'Dude, do you know you're talking to a reflection?'

Only two hours and twenty two minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can't go wrong with desert dudes advise . . .

Do: at most 2.5 hrs .. .of like Timetrialapalooza + Sufferfest Local Hero (or other) this time of year for a long ride on Trainer

Don't: ever.... do 3-5 hrs on a trainer (unless you're 4-6 weeks out of a 112 + and it's rained for 10+ days) especially at a pace you can read/write on ST lol
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kmill23 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

All of my weekday riding is on a trainer. About 90 minutes is all I can stand in one session. Usually do intervals to introduce some intensity, break the monotony, and get more 'bang for my buck.'

Weekday trainer sessions are typically 2.5 hours with intervals included on Tuesdays.

Only two hours and twenty minutes to go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uberslug wrote:

I don't know if 5hrs is a good idea or not but this is just painful to read. Where are you at now?
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kmill23 wrote:
uberslug wrote:
kmill23 wrote:
How often are (allegedly) doing these 5-hour trainer rides?

That sounds like absolute torture.

I enjoyed my 2.5 hr ride this morning in about 70F weather. We're doing 5 hours tomorrow, predicted forecast: 70F and partly cloudy. :-)

Only on Saturdays when the weather outside is too cold (below 40 degrees F) or inclement. Thankfully, this is only the second one this Winter. Last Saturday was the first.

It does feel really good to stop.

I am really envious.

Only two hours and thirty two minutes to go...

Wait. You're sort of an anomoly. You're crazy/tough enough to ride 5 hours on a trainer, but not tough enough to ride in 40F weather????

I've done rides below freezing and with snow still on the ground (which is pretty rare here in Mississippi), but no snow on the roads and really enjoyed them! I guess if there is snow on the roads, then I'd opt for the trainer.

Good luck. Have . . . . . . . . fun????

Not really an anomaly, just an old fart with sinus problems that start impacting my health when I spend too much time on a bike outside when the temperature is in or below the mid thirties.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Only two hours and seventeen minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [mjcrna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjcrna wrote:
you can't go wrong with desert dudes advise . . .

Do: at most 2.5 hrs .. .of like Timetrialapalooza + Sufferfest Local Hero (or other) this time of year for a long ride on Trainer

Don't: ever.... do 3-5 hrs on a trainer (unless you're 4-6 weeks out of a 112 + and it's rained for 10+ days) especially at a pace you can read/write on ST lol

Haven't done a triathlon in almost thirty years.

Read the article ' Breaking Through: How an Athlete Took his 40K TT from 55:31 to 51:29 in 1-Year'. After riding a 55:25 on only 10 to 12 hours a week I decided to see what I could do if I pushed the envelope a bit.

Only two hours and eight minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time check please...

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [CeeCee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CeeCee wrote:
uberslug wrote:

I don't know if 5hrs is a good idea or not but this is just painful to read. Where are you at now?

Two hours and six minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't: look at the picture below.

Sorry!!

But seriously, you are one crazy mofo. What are you listening to through all this?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
time check?

I'd rather be on a trainer than sitting here at work.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [Slorey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slorey wrote:
time check?

I'd rather be on a trainer than sitting here at work.

One hour and forty four minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Don't: look at the picture below.

Sorry!!

But seriously, you are one crazy mofo. What are you listening to through all this?

Big R Radio - Blues FM on iTunes Radio...

I sure could use one of those about now...

One hour forty one minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most I've ever done is 3hrs. I bow down to your insanity. How are you managing to type
while riding? What does your setup look like?
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Most I've ever done is 3hrs. I bow down to your insanity. How are you managing to type
while riding? What does your setup look like?

I would take a picture but I am kind of busy right now, but, since you asked...

MacBook Pro running in closed lid mode
Apple Thunderbolt Display running at 2560x1440 resolution
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple Magic Pad

I built a keyboard holder that sits on the extensions and have the magic pad on a stool next to me. Sub woofer and speakers are right behind me like a pair of super duper head phones.

Only one hour and thirty minutes to go.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that setup I'm surprised you don't have a webcam that you could
take pictures with ;) Sounds pretty sweet. Hope you have something
to keep the sweat off it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
With that setup I'm surprised you don't have a webcam that you could
take pictures with ;) Sounds pretty sweet. Hope you have something
to keep the sweat off it all.

The Display has an iSight Camera, however, I am not very photogenic at the moment...

Only one hour and thirteen minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I max out at 3hours on the trainer. Good Luck
Time check.

I buy non-working pinball machines in Ontario and Michigan. It is a hobby of mine and not a business. If you have one and want to get it out of your basement email me at shnidei AT cogeco DOT ca
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [igorsr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
igorsr wrote:
I max out at 3hours on the trainer. Good Luck
Time check.

Only one hour and nine minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Read the article ' Breaking Through: How an Athlete Took his 40K TT from 55:31 to 51:29 in 1-Year'. After riding a 55:25 on only 10 to 12 hours a week I decided to see what I could do if I pushed the envelope a bit.

5 easy hours on the trainer isn't going to get you there
Quote Reply
Re: Three Things You Do, Don't Do, During 5+ Hour Rides on a Trainer... [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Quote:

5 easy hours on the trainer isn't going to get you there

Who said they're easy? I challenge any non elite triathlete or cyclist to do a 5 hour ride in the middle of one's endurance zone (as measured by an SRM) to define it as 'easy'.

Only fifty eight minutes to go...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rock! Most I've ever done 3.5 hours - and I was ready to die mentally! Only 35min hard this AM followed by 5k hard on TM due to ice for roads!

Hang in there!

Prev Next