Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Three Peaks hike in Nepal
Quote | Reply
I posted this in the Lavender room but no responses.

In 2012 I did the Everest Base Camp trek and this year I am going back to do the Three Passes Trek. Has anyone here done the trek?

In August 2012, it was announced that there were no solo trekkers allowed but I did the EBC route on my own in October/November. If anyone has done the trek, can a solo trekker do it now? I heard rumours that the ban on solo trekkers was lifted, but as far as I know, it was never even implemented.
Quote Reply
Re: Three Peaks hike in Nepal [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea on the answer to your question but as someone who enjoys climbing in the mountains throughout the year I figured I'd post this relevant news story. Just goes to show how unpredictable it can be up there. Hope things take a turn for a better for the climbers at base camp 1.
http://www.reuters.com/...dUSKBN0NG07B20150425
Quote Reply
Re: Three Peaks hike in Nepal [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a little odd that I posted this question just hours before the earthquake. I was there a couple of years ago at Everest Base Camp and just recently thought of going back this October. They've had a few tough years with the climbing season cancelled last year and now this earthquake. The scenery on the hike is just out of this world and I can't wait to go back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With yesterdays quake do you really want to go this year or even next?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Three Peaks hike in Nepal [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With yesterdays quake do you really want to go this year or even next?

With these type of events, it is exactly why I would go back again this year. The aid agencies will flock there and help for a few months and then disappear and the poor people on the hiking routes will struggle. The best thing anyone could do to help them would be to go there and do a hike, providing income to a lot of people. It's far better than handing money to a foreign NPO where a fraction will flow down to those who need it.

I was planning on going before the earthquake and this event just gives an added incentive. It would be the perfect time to go in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I have been considering doing the hike to base camp. What company did you go through?
Quote Reply
Re: Three Peaks hike in Nepal [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wife and I have been considering doing the hike to base camp. What company did you go through?

The hike to Basecamp is fantastic. The Three Peaks trek that I want to do has 3 peaks over 20,000 feet and one of them is the Base Camp. It's just a trek, no climbing involved but still very challenging.

I did the EBC hike on my own, no trek group, and no friend. I also hiked in from Jiri instead of flying to Lukla and starting from there. It gave me about 6 days of a lot of up and down to slowly get acclimated. It was the best part of the hike as the trails were empty.

The reason I posted here is that in August 2012 the government announced that solo trekkers (without guides) were not allowed but I did it on my own in October/November 2012 without any problems. I then read that the ban on solo trekkers was lifted but I just wanted to confirm.
Quote Reply