Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on damage to a handlebar and shifter?
Quote | Reply
I crashed last weekend going downhill at about 30 MPH. I've posted photos of me elsewhere...let's just say my body took most of the damage. I picked up my bike at the fire station today, and got to thank the paramedics who treated me. Frame looks to be in OK shape. The rear redailleur has scratches and the hanger is toast. Both shifters have scuffs, but the left it worse. Here are a couple of photos. I'm thinking the bars are still "OK". They are about 4 years old, so I'm tempted to replace them. However, scratches appear to be just clear coat and a little bit of carbon. The left shifter still functions, but would relinquish it to spare parts use. Wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks for the help!

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Last edited by: allenpg: Oct 9, 15 15:56
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on damage to a handlebar and shifter? [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably OK, but not worth chancing IMO due to carbon's tendency to fail catastrophically (and if they do, it will probably be when you are sprinting out of the drops).

Rule of thumb: Replace alloy with age (due to a finite fatigue life); replace carbon on impact.

PS: Looks like the bike fared better than you. Broken hanger < broken honker. Heal up!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on damage to a handlebar and shifter? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I saw the plastic surgeon today and he was happy with his results. He gave me the green light to ride/run outdoors. My TT bike might hurt too much, but I have my CX and MTB. Just checked the frame over and there are some suspect cracks. I'm taking it to a Cannondale shop tomorrow to have them check it over. I'm the original owner, so I would rather have the Cannondale folks check it over from a liability perspective. I won't complain if they offer me a deal on a new 2016 frame...;) I was happy my plastic surgeon was a cyclist and bought his bike from the shop tha I mostly ride with. Ironically, he said I used TOO MUCH antibiotic cream on my wound, but it wasn't a bad thing. Always better to be safe than sorry. Also, U need to give congrats to POC for their helmets. Both the doctor and paramedics were impressed with how it protected my head (despite my facial injuries). I'm always impressed with first responders. I was happy to talk to the paramedics today and hear their version of my accident. These guys were so giddy to see me today and look over my injuries a few days later. I was happy to thank them in person. I was even laughing when I ran the doorbell to the fire station and could hear them say..."oh, it's the bike crash guy". I can only imagine how many stories these guys swap while at the station...:)

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After watching someone snap a set of bars that hadnot been replaced after a priorcrash (it was nasty!), i have always replaced bars after crashes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replace them. I had a set of bars fail on me last year when I was just riding along at 20mph on the flat with no cars around and it was one of the worst accidents I've ever had due to the completely unexpected nature. Having the same thing happen when descending, sprinting, or in heavy traffic could be seriously unpleasant.

Heal well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replace those bars!
Cut them in half no one else tries to use them.
Quote Reply