Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thoughts on TrainerRoad
Quote | Reply
I've just come across trainer road and have tried it out. Curious to know anyone's thoughts about using it to supplement training? I don't have a power meter and am pretty impressed with the software utilizing the trainer and cadence to simulate power. Is it worth the $$$ to subscribe? I do realize that the "power" is likely not very accurate but consistency is key with anything. Just curious anyone else's thoughts if they've used it or are currently using it consistently.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [heftesmurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a search and you'll find many many many testimonials and feedback on this forum. The verdict is it's pretty much the best investment into your performance you'll find.

I progress this winter from 195w FTP to 256w FTP while losing 6lbs and increasing my Power to Weight to 4.2w/kg. I'd say it's well worth it if you're disciplined enough to follow the programs.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try maximumtrainrer as well - its free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heftesmurf wrote:
I've just come across trainer road and have tried it out. Curious to know anyone's thoughts about using it to supplement training? I don't have a power meter and am pretty impressed with the software utilizing the trainer and cadence to simulate power. Is it worth the $$$ to subscribe? I do realize that the "power" is likely not very accurate but consistency is key with anything. Just curious anyone else's thoughts if they've used it or are currently using it consistently.
Thanks.

Their customer satisfaction is probably close to 100%. Amazing product, great value for money, awesome ongoing development, always active on the customer support even on places like here and even in the wattage group.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing triathlon for a little over a year now and it's by far, the best thing I've purchased...and my trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It changed my cycling life, for the better. I only cycle indoors on weekdays using TR now. Outdoors for longer rides on the weekend. A real power meter is not in my budget for now so Virtual power along witht the prescribed workouts and plans are the best bargain I can imagine for increasing power output.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [Roadhog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are peoples thoughts on using TR vs riding outside in group rides doing similar efforts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrainerRoad+Sufferfest+computrainer=my fastest bike splits ever, and I'm about to turn 50. Well worth the money, and the customer service is great.

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heftesmurf wrote:
Thanks.

Worth every penny. I improved my 20k split by more than 15% over the winter.

I'm using it part-time and riding outdoors part-time now that the summer is here.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use TR almost exclusively during the week and then do a group ride on the weekends. The group ride is certainly fun but the TR sessions are probably more effective. Happy to have both options available to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it for close to a year and its been great... however, I just canceled my subscription...

I don't like that their software is not compatible with the PowerBeam Pro on iOS... and I recently started using Zwift, which I find is a much funner experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use it during the week and only ride outdoors on the weekend. It allows me to get very specific intensities and durations which I would have a hard time doing outside on my own. And for $10/mo it's probably the most cost efficient part of my training
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [twig05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twig05 wrote:
I also use it during the week and only ride outdoors on the weekend. It allows me to get very specific intensities and durations which I would have a hard time doing outside on my own. And for $10/mo it's probably the most cost efficient part of my training

This statement can be repeated by about 99% of the Trainerroad subscribers. It's an excellent training tool and an incredible price. You'll probably spend more on Gatorade each month.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
twig05 wrote:

This statement can be repeated by about 99% of the Trainerroad subscribers. It's an excellent training tool and an incredible price. You'll probably spend more on Gatorade each month.
Thank you for the replies. Sounds like a good balance.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [twig05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twig05 wrote:

I do not see any of these packages doing anything more than the free Racermater sw I use for any type of interval riding I want to do. Am I missing something?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
twig05 wrote:

I do not see any of these packages doing anything more than the free Racermater sw I use for any type of interval riding I want to do. Am I missing something?

I say, yes, you are missing something. I call it personal preference. I like it and I plan to stick with it. You are probably the same with your own set up. That's why they make 31 flavors.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it. I pair up with Zwift and have the best of both worlds and pay $85 a year for it. Great thing is also compatible with several trainers unlike racermate.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
twig05 wrote:

Yes, you are missing all sorts of things.

Does RM software work with any trainer or power meter? Does it do virtual power for those without a powermeter or electronic trainer? Does it have a community building workouts? Does it offer plans as part of the system? Does it work on multiple devices like tablets and phones?

And, on another note, has your cycling ever improved? If your RM software and 3 velotrons were useful, don't you think that your bike splits would get better?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good info here. Thanks for all the input. I agree with another thread I read that consistency is key with whatever tool you are using. Ultimately, time splits need to improve to justify any time spent training. I'm going to spend a couple more months using it and see reassess. I have a 10mi loop I use as a TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using it since October. My FTP was pretty low (~130). I started with virtual power for the first 2 months. It worked pretty good. You do have to be consistent with your setup (tire pressure, roller pressure...) to get the best results. I got a quarq in December. Now I don't have to worry about setup as much. My Quarq reads about 10 watts higher than virtual power.

I was only riding on the weekends before I started using trainerroad. Now I do a few weekday rides indoors and long rides outside on the weekend if I have time. If not I will stick to the trainerroad plan and ride indoors on the weekend. By early April I had lost 15-20 pounds and increased my FTP to around 220. Then I left for europe for a cycling vacation that made all the hours of sweat worth it. I ended up getting in about 500 miles over 9 days including the full Liege Bastogne Liege ride.

It took me a few weeks to recover from the trip so i just started using it again. My FTP is around 240 now. So thats a 100W increase in 6-7 months. I plan to use it to get me ready for my first Olympic tri in September, and cyclocross season in the fall. The rest of the time I will use it to increase or maintain my general fitness.

I used to find riding on the trainer pretty boring and would have trouble riding longer than about 30 minutes. Having something to focus on like power numbers makes a big difference for me. I can now do 2+ hour workouts on the trainer.

For me it was well worth the money. If I didn't race at all I probably wouldn't have tried it. Now that I have seen the results I am glad I did try it. Even for non racers as long as they can consistently stick to the plan it should help them become stronger cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's tough to do sustained intervals in a group setting (especially with roadies where most of my group riding occurs). I save interval training for the Kick'r and trainerroad, then mix it up with the group one night a week and on weekends.

Human Person
Last edited by: trismitty: May 26, 15 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Five years of triathlon and my bike changed minimally. Four months of TrainerRoad+Sufferfest Build rocked my world. Huge gains. Hands down the best value out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best software tool for my bike training.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

If anyone has any questions about TR let me know.

This week we're releasing an update to our 40k TT plans and century plans.

We've also got a release for iOS coming out with Teams/Plans, power meter to trainer control (or constant offset) and filters in the app.

Next iOS release we'll have video support.

We're also starting work on a complete revamp of the desktop app. It's going to be really cool! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on TrainerRoad [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate,
Are you planning on integrating more spinerval vids? I see you have a few already. If so, timeframe?
Thanks and love TR.
Jamie
Quote Reply

Prev Next