Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thomas Gerlach
Quote | Reply
I met Thomas today at the Chattanooga 70.3. Wow!!! The guy is a total class act. Stopped what he was doing for a photo. The guy even sat there and talked to me about my race and gave words of encouragement. Breathe of fresh air in a sport full of d-bags. Thanks taking time to talk Thomas. You've gained a huge fan.
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [AdamL2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much did you get paid to write this post? ;)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 22, 16 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gerlach is awesome. He's a reason I decided to go for a pro card a few years back.

You would be surprised by how many of the pro athletes are like that. Most are totally approachable and you should take every chance you can to meet and talk to them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9/10
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
9/10

Dude. You seriously need to come up with something better than the 9/10 reply. I've seen that crap too much from you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Settle down buddy. Cmon. We all know that was a great back door brag
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
Settle down buddy. Cmon. We all know that was a great back door brag

How is Coin's statement a backdoor brag. If anything, he could stick around cleaning up as an age grouper and have massive bragging rights like many choose to. Instead, he steps up and races pro and gets a solid thump from the pros (sorry Colin, you know what i mean). It would be easy to stick around and keep collecting age group awards and associated bragging rights.
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why I turned pro... Tired of cleaning up all the AG awards. Such a hassle

I'm also approachable and will take pictures, but way cooler than Thomas or Colin will

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AdamL2424 wrote:
I met Thomas today at the Chattanooga 70.3. Wow!!! The guy is a total class act. Stopped what he was doing for a photo. The guy even sat there and talked to me about my race and gave words of encouragement. Breathe of fresh air in a sport full of d-bags. Thanks taking time to talk Thomas. You've gained a huge fan.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Breathe of fresh air in a sport full of d-bags.

I've never met Thomas but in my experience this pretty much exemplifies my interactions with most, if not all, of the pro's that I've met in this sport - from the world champs all the way to the up and comers. On the other hand, the d-bags generally occupy the age grouper ranks who take themselves and the sport way too seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seconded

BryanD wrote:

Making Triathlon Great Again
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

I've never met Thomas but in my experience this pretty much exemplifies my interactions with most, if not all, of the pro's that I've met in this sport - from the world champs all the way to the up and comers. On the other hand, the d-bags generally occupy the age grouper ranks who take themselves and the sport way too seriously.

I agree with this. I don't think I've met any pros but maybe I have and didn't know it. I've had mostly good experiences with most age groupers but there are definitely a, hopefully small number, who have giant sticks up their butts. I usually try to talk to those on my rack. I get some good information about the course that day from those around me. And some good training tips. And of course, I ask about their bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am seeing this thru "Canuck-Vision" glasses but I rarely, rarely, get a d~bag vibe from any of the folks pro or age grouper in this sport. And that is part of what makes me stay in the sport so long, as much as it is about the workouts and the racing and the occasional good race result, its the modest and engaging people I meet.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [Turbeau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turbeau wrote:
Seconded

BryanD wrote:

10% on Cobb Saddles
10% on Carbon Disc Covers
20% at Trisports.com
20% The Most Absorbable Magnesium
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate how your involvement here on the ST forums. I probably read 98% of your posts because I know, at the very least, your post will be thoughtful; often insightful too!
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffips wrote:
Turbeau wrote:
Seconded

BryanD wrote:

10% on Cobb Saddles
10% on Carbon Disc Covers
20% at Trisports.com
20% The Most Absorbable Magnesium

I know that is in pink, but would you rather have me be like many of my peers who in generalization, tend to be more, "what can you do for me type of people?". Or even worse like the pro or amateur who started "gofundme" campaigns for their kona races. I'm not asking for handouts, just trying to scrape by on my own. Not a shameless shill, I don't ever recommend something I don't use or believe in. I am not one of those athletes who gets paid to promote one product, but uses another.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 24, 16 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

Quick....everyone turn pro to avoid douchebag status. At least I am pro in ST posting (does that count?). Seriously though I agree 100%. Maybe a combo of many age groupers being prima donnas outside of tri in their work life so they just carry that into sport. I don't know if this sport has more age groupers douches relative to overall population vs say men's league hockey or baseball or soccer. I am thinking the answer is "yes, we have relatively more" perhaps because age group competition gives people a false sense of where they stand. As an example, the top 25-39 year olds in Kona are not winning those age groups, they are racing pro. Meanwhile 40-55 year old age divisions are populated by guys and girls who might be "important" in their professional life so we get that full affect on Sunday race day
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have met Thomas several times as well, great guy and stands up for the rules. Wish there were more Pros like him.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by erengel23 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: erengel23: May 24, 16 8:31
Quote | Reply
He's one of the reasons I stopped buying stuff from Trisports
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [erengel23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that was the complete opposite of my interaction with him. Thomas was a total class act.
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas Gerlach [erengel23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erengel23 wrote:
AdamL2424 wrote:
Well that was the complete opposite of my interaction with him. Thomas was a total class act.

My first interactions with him were positive as well. Must have been a fluke. Just like that saying, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Eric, I have blocked you on Facebook and Twitter for a reason, yet you still find it necessary to fist bump me when you see me - like you did this weekend in Chattanooga. I don't get it. If you don't like me then please don't approach me for a fist bump. If you don't like me, please don't ask me for advice about triathlon as you have.

I am sorry if you are offended if I called out your behavior here of starting a "go fund me" campaign. I did not personally call you out, I called out the behavior without identifying you. But yes, I am not a begger and yes I don't like you and I happy to admit it. I don't want to just have diarrhea of the mouth and take cheap shots but I do honestly believe you are everything wrong with triathlon. I don't exclaim for 9 months that I am going to win certain races, I let the talking do it self on race day, not before.

I am sorry I "stole" your victory at Ironman Wisconsin in 2016. As I stated in various interviews, although not specifically, you are one small part of why I did Ironman Wisconsin last year, congratulations. Because, I was afraid, that you were going to leverage a possible win to de-value pro triathlon. It the same reason I fought for Pro Porties and still do with Ironman. I try to advance triathlon. I try to make it better.

What I do. Work hard every single day. Answer every single email, ST private message, facebook DM, tweet, etc. Talk before and after races to anyone. Try not to sling mud without an open mind. Don't backstab. Please do not come up and fist bump or ask for my recognition if you do not like me. Please do not ask for advice. Please stop harassing me in general. You were blocked on Twitter and Facebook for a reason.

Quote Reply

Prev Next