Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This old bike...
Quote | Reply
Hi gang!

Lately I've been riding my brand new Trek Madone 5.2 and enjoying the heck out of it... The beautiful candy apple red carbon frame soaks up the bumps and makes climbing fun even for my 200 lb 50-yr old body... The shifting of the Campy Chorus 10-speed is crisp and solid... Those newfangled compact cranks give an extra gear so that I can spin up climbs I used to bog down on. In a nutshell, this bike is a marvel of modern technology and I am so lucky to have it...

So my old 1994 Trek 2200 is now just a backup bike. After years of being a 'starter', it spends most of its days 'benched' in the garage... In its day it was the rage...carbon tubes with aluminum lugs...Campy Record shifters...Campy Shamal aero rims... Yep! It was a pretty sexy babe in its younger years... But at over 21 lbs with a flexing frame, it just can't hold a candle to the new kid in town...

But the other night I was out riding that 'old flame' on an easy recovery ride. I call it my night rider because I set it up specifically for night rides. And I realized it was now like an old friend that I could always count on...

When I bought it all those years ago, I had taken up bike riding to not only build my fitness but to recover from a devastating divorce... Every mile I pedaled was another mile forward in building a new body...as well as a new life... I believe that God not only brings people into our life to help us but sometimes He provides us a tool to make it through the storm. For me, that was a bicycle...

Yes! My new road bike is sexy and exciting, but every time I go for a ride on my old bike, it's like getting together with an old friend... reminiscing about the good old days and realizing how lucky I was that they came into my life when I needed a helping hand...

I suppose it might make sense to sell that bike, but that's not likely to happen. I just couldn't do that to an old friend...

Jim
Last edited by: jshelton: Sep 18, 05 22:10
Quote Reply
Re: This old bike... [jshelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't sell it, I sold my old bike a few years ago, the old grey mare I used to call her, and I still regret selling it. I had that bike 15 years, and she was still a great little ride. I traded it to my RMT for a whack of massage... which felt great at the time but I still miss her.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: This old bike... [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think the main focus of my post it to just appreciate that we're ABLE to ride our bikes when so many people can't...

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too true... ;-) Keep at it, you're doing awesome.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you sold that bike you would never forgive yourself. it's not like your paying insurance or monthly payments on it. it's A BIKE. you LOVE it. why do that to yourself?

Isn't life hard enough without having to grieve over selling something you consider to be a dear friend??

you're absolutely right to keep the bike and enjoy it. that's what you bought it for :)
Quote Reply