Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This is not a "can I KQ thread"...........but I am seeking advice
Quote | Reply
So after a couple of weeks off, which turned in to a decade and 24 kilo's in weight, turning 40 and a 9 month old baby caused a moment of reflection on June 27th and I decided that one of two thing would happen - I'd continue on the road to ruin or get my S**t together.

So, since June 27th I've been running. I use the term extremely loosely, more between a swift walk and a slow jog and whilst its improving, the climate where I live is not conducive to going fast. (It was 45 degrees celsius at noon today)

For the past 3 weeks I've been riding my bike and following a value for money purchase from Power2Max, I have undertaken a ftp test.

So, I now weigh 86.2kg, can possibly at a push barely go under 27 mins for a 5k (somewhere colder - I ran 5 in 32 a month a 3.5 kilos heavier) so its heading in the right direction.

I signed up to trainer road - amazing how stuff has changed in a decade away - I figured out how to link it up to watch and power meter and undertook the 2*8 in FTP test.

So, I complete the hour ride, the two tests, first 220 second 225.

I've several questions and a proposed plan of attack. I want to do an Ironman in June 15.

I am time constrained with a 9 month old baby. I can do no training outside whatsoever, at present due to the temperature as it hits 40 in Mid April until Oct / Nov, and then not outside - at least on the bike as we have had one of the highest mortality rates in the world on the roads and its just not worth the risk.

Up to the point I took a couple of weeks off and never went back I was a 18 min OW 1500 swimmer, with careful selection 2.10 ish Oly and sub 1.30 half runner.

So, I was thinking that between now and Xmas I would focus primarily on my weight, body composition through biking (5 rides per week, no more than 2 hours for longest ride) - using intermediate traditional base building on trainerroad - with 2-3 runs per week - at present until it cools down, runs would be LSD pace, perhaps one a tempo run (tempo being relative here)

Does base through the new year, then 6 months out, start to build seem sensible? I am intending to start swimming 2-3 times per week from Dec.

So my week (my working week is Sunday to Thursday so Friday is the new Saturday) would look like:

Swim: Sun, Tue, Thus

Bike: Mon, Wed, Fri - longer bike short run

Run: Tues, Thurs and Saturday Long Run

My goals are primarily weight loss and finishing - I'm older and whilst in the last two months I've had no indication of injuries, I will look to adjust both the volume and the intensity as necessary.

Does this seem like a reasonably sensible approach?

Question about FTP: Given that I'm interested in improvement relative to this starting number, what might be a reasonable gain over 10 months - I think we can assume that given I've not ridden a bike in 10 years that I'm not at the limit of my potential, so what could be a conservative goal in terms of improvement?

With the tests - given the time off and the lack of fitness, I found it easier to complete the test pushing a big gear at a lower cadence, rather than spinning to maintain the same output. Should the test be completed using one method or the other? I am trying to spin whilst riding during the workouts, but it is taking some time to get back in to it.

Any comments welcome. Apologies for the long post.
Quote Reply
Re: This is not a "can I KQ thread"...........but I am seeking advice [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slow down, take it slow, make sure whatever you do turns into a life time of fun! Not six mo.s of work.....do make it complicated just make it fun.
Quote Reply
Re: This is not a "can I KQ thread"...........but I am seeking advice [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, here are my thoughts.

First I think your training plan is sound. Weight loss will boost your ability the most as you've already seen with your 5k progression. Also not a bad idea to not jump into really long rides, keep it short and enjoyable. Your swim will quite likely still be at least above average so holding off on swimming until later in the year also makes sense. As for FTP I'm really not an expert at all but I'll just spit out a number and say you can at least realistically get to around 250 or 260. Also don't forget that concurrently losing weight will also help you out in terms of power to weight. Lastly while it might come naturally to some I think it's normal to push a big gear when you're just starting or restarting biking. Your cadence shouldn't affect the test results if you're able to pick a gear that allows you to pedal at your chosen/preferred cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: This is not a "can I KQ thread"...........but I am seeking advice [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So where did you end up?
Quote Reply