Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This is hot!!
Quote | Reply
To go along with some of the recent heat related threads. I went for a 26 mile ride at lunch today. It was 98 with a heat index of 115. Weighed myself just before I got on the bike. Took 2 26 oz bottles, 1 of gatorade 1 of water, drank both. Halfway through the ride I ate 1 GU packet. Got back, got on the scale and I had lost 5 lbs.

I've had similar results from a run but I seem to sweat quite a bit more running than riding. Gotta go...need to keep drinking my 5 lbs of water.

------------------------------------------------
Fight............Finish
Quote Reply
Re: This is hot!! [Digger262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell it to the DOVE girls!

-----------------------------------------------------
"If you hold on tight to what you think is your thing, you might find you're missing all the rest"

Dave Matthews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of guys I train with did a race last weekend when it was kind of hot (95). And we bitched all the way back about how bad we sucked. I couldn't even breath out there for some reason, started dehydrating and cramping up, late in the morning when the sun started aiming its guns on my ass. I had done a brick a day that whole week, double distancing the race lengths.

Then it dawned on me that We'd been running and biking and brickikng at 5:30 in the morning, most all summer. That thing shining and bearing down on my ass sucking every ounce of energy out of me, I had not seen in its full power.

After we got through, the verdict was, we need to do the biking and running in the afternoon or late morning, if we could. The early morning running and biking was JUST A LIE!

Therefore, this week, confront the Sun God. And it has not been pleasant.
Quote Reply
Re: This is hot!! [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just got back from my first bricked work out, not to long 15 mile ride and was going to run 3m. but about a 1/2 mile into it. i was done, my legs felt great, just my heartrate was out of control. so i called it a day.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would regularly take five pounds or more of water with me on long rides during the summer in Texas and come back weighing five pounds less (out of 150-155 pounds to start with).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat and Humidity for many (me in particular) can be a killer.

Case in point - I did the very same brick Tuesday and Wednesday - 32 mile ride and 2 mile run.

Tuesday very hot (88 - 92) and humid (85%) - then Wednesday still warm (84 - 86) and bit less humid (70%)

Point being - i go 1:30 faster on the bike and :40 faster on the run on Wed. at the same (possibly les onthe run) effort. Did the work out same time of the day, exact same course, nutrition was practically the same - really not much difference - has to be the H&H change that made it faster.

For some the H&H no matter how well trained, fed, prepared or what else just kills.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you've gotta workout in the hot conditions to get ready for the races. Yesterday, I left for my 6 mile run at 5:00. The heat index at that time was 109. It was absurd. But, if it's hot in Madison in 7 weeks, I'll be ready!!

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: This is hot!! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez, does everybody in this thread live in Arizona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

You have confirmed a thought of mine. I do almost ALL my workouts about midday. It sucks because of the heat and wind, but I always figured there was a benefit.

Brian
Quote Reply