Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This is getting ridiculous......
Quote | Reply
I did the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon last year and (despite the rain) felt that the event was good overall ... certainly not perfect - Registration was a mess, there was no expo, and the post race party was 5-6 hours after the race and not at the race venue. But, as I have friends in Minneapolis, the race was a good excuse to get out of Chicago for a long weekend.

So over the weekend I was checking into the race again this year as a 'B' or 'C' priority race heading into IMWI. It's an easy international distance event (.75s / 21.3b / 4.7r) ... oh, and a 2nd year race. The only problem this year is that entry fees went through the roof. As a USAT member one will pay anywhere from $76 - $151 depending upon when they enter (plus Active.com fees). Am I out of whack, or does this price point seem a bit rich?

The folks at Lifetime Fitness are hyping this "Battle Of The Sexes" thing big time once again this year ... going so far as to increase the $50k purse from last year. My beef lies in the fact that you and I as age groupers seem to be the funding the prize money.

Is this a sneak peak into the future? Half and full Ironman entry fees have been slowly climbing over the years, but many quality 1/2 ironmans are still less than $100 bucks. How is it that Lifetime Fitness can demand such fess for a Sprint and International race? I'm guessing that many first-timers are not willing to shell-out this kind of cash for their first race, not to mention registration fees and USAT one-day coverage.

I don't know, just seems a bit much to me.

One last thing, OLN got the boot this year; NBC will covering the event. If prior Ironman coverage is any indicator, NBC will build-up lots of crappy drama into the coverage. Seems appropriate; why talk about the age groupers ... all we do is fund the prize purse.

Last edited by: dave in chicago: Jan 13, 03 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: This is getting ridiculous...... [dave in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, where is a Half IM less than $100? In my neck of the woods, a half is closer to $200 and Olympic distance races are $90.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: This is getting ridiculous...... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah but Cathy a 2 bdr apt in the city is over 2000/mo, Its all relative. we just get skewered a little harder in Norcal thats all

but yeah where is there a $100 half?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: This is getting ridiculous...... [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went out on trifind.com and found more than a half dozen 1/2's at or below $100, from the Spokane Troika in Washington to the Emerald City Half in South Carolina and everywhere in between.

I have a membership to Lifetime in Columbus, last year before the Lifetime Tri I asked the local manager if they were going to have any tie-in with the Lifetime Tri, his reaction, "What Lifetime Triathlon?" That pretty much answered my question.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I feel your pain. As a former Chicagoan who moved to the west coast 2.5 years ago, might I still suggest you are LUCKY to still be living somewhere where it is economically viable to race more often than out here. While you can't beat the year round training, the fact that a race like Big Rock here in So.Cal runs their pricing from $90-140 depending on when you enter...yet a similar distance race in Springfield, IL (Ironhorse) is $80-90 (makes you wonder how inefficient the RD's really are out in the left coast if the start at the same base price, but deem it necessary to charge $50 more for signing up a week and/or day in advance). Frankly, I've seen both...Big Rock doesn't hold a candle to Ironhorse.

Race fees will continue to go up...and unfortunately, there isn't much the age grouper can do to help the direction of our sport regarding tv coverage. There are WAY more people who DON'T do tri's than those of us who do, and THEY are always going to be who the networks seem to try and aspire and grab their attention. When you think about it, it makes it sort of an interesting problem...make for those who enjoy the sport and who WILL watch? or make something completely nauseating to try and entice others (and know that those same participants will not enjoy the broadcast as much, but will watch anyway because we have no other options)?

Anyway, all you can do is voice your opinion to the RD. Choose to NOT do a particular race (and I would suggest persuading as many others as possible NOT to race that race also). Generally, this sport has enough people with enough $$$'s that they will fill our slots.

So feel free to join a growing number of triathletes across the country who are making their own grass roots "training days/races" across the country. Bring your own nutrition, bring your friends, get road directions, and have fun without paying these exhorborant fees (wait until you have to pay $90 for a sprint race, $120 for an Oly, and $185 for a 1/2 IM...then you may still appreciate what you have). Winner gets bragging rights for the day ;-)

~ Craig

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: This is getting ridiculous...... [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dave,

...yet a similar distance race in Springfield, IL (Ironhorse) is $80-90 Yeah...but after IronHorse you need to pay the medical bills...LOL LOL LOL Somethings in the water

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: This is getting ridiculous...... [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA! You're funny ;-)

What WILL be interesting is the new USAT mandate that all sanctioned races do testing 48 hours prior to the race. If it comes back negative, testing must be done again 24 hours prior to the race (something Ironhorse has been doing, and seems to get a bum rap for now because they HAVE changed the venue in interest of safety). I wonder how many races will get a bad rap this year (especially if it is supposed to be as wet a winter as predicted) when they change to du's 24 hours before the race?

..and if I want to get sick for swimming in water...I'll just go swim just about anywhere off the So.Cal coast now ;-) (noted as some of the worst water quality in the country)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: This is getting ridiculous...... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to come to Ontario. Most of our half IM races are in the $80-100 range (that is Canadian dollars so approximately $52-65US). These are well organized and competetive races many with small prize purses. In the Peterborough race last year there were around 400 competitors so they are definitely not little backwards races. Maybe there is a tradeoff for having to ride inside for half the year.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Paul Bunyon 1/2 IM in Oscoda Michigan was $80 if you registered early.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yeah but Cathy a 2 bdr apt in the city is over 2000/mo, Its all relative. we just get skewered a little harder in Norcal thats all
Not with rent control and landlords who really like me........ ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, if you want to make a little overnight trip, drive on down to Mandeville, LA and do the Crawfishman in May. A nice little sprint triathlon with a $40 entry fee and a post race party you don't want to leave. Adult beverages, Bud Light and Daiquiris, jambalya, red beans and rice, pasta and some of the greatest people you'll ever meet. Ask Mike Plumb where the best after races are.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: This is getting ridiculous...... [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no arguement here, best post race party is the Crawfishman for all of the above reasons, not to mention all the red mudbugs you can eat. Yeah you might think that Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies was the only one who ate Crawdads, but until you have tried one, you haven't lived...suck the head, eat the tail!!!

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For once there's an example of something in the US costing more! Compare your prices for cars, petrol and clothes etc with the UK and you'll realise how lucky you are.

For the best deal in races though you need to come to Dubai. For a 20 or 22 USD entry fee you can enter a Sprint distance race at the 5 star Jumeirah Beach Hotel (voted Best Business Hotel in the world before etc). Swim in the sea, bike up and down the beach road with the police stopping traffic for you at U-turns and intersections, run out and back next to the beach. Water provided on the bike and run courses. Post-race brunch buffet catered by the 5 star hotel with waiters serving freshly brewed coffee. Guaranteed sunshine. An Olympic distance race at the Dubai International Marine Club costs the same and also has a buffet, but the fresh coffee is self-service. Very friendly atmosphere, professionally organised and 120 people of all ages etc at the last race.

Still can't get over how expensive your races are. The cost of Noosa, the second largest triathlon in the world, is only 60 USD.

The downside of modern triathlon is all the bureaucracy, squabbling, egos and profit.

Paul (a brit triathlete in the UAE)
Quote Reply