Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thinking about buying a new bike, need your help!
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone....I'm new to this forum and a relatively new biker. I ride on an old cannondale mountain bike I got a few years ago. Recently, I've been biking quite a bit more - a few tours here and there. Also, I'm thinking about doing a few sprint triathlon's this summer. So....I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a road bike or triathlon bike. I was hoping to keep it under the $1500 range. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

RQ
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about buying a new bike, need your help! [RQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of suggestions, but mostly to get a road bike (not a tri specific bike) as it will be a lot more versitile. also it would be best to shop at a dealer that does 'fits' to make sure that you are on the right size frame with the right stem etc.

Mostly though $1,500 is a gret price range for a new bike, probably the best in terms of what you get for the money. If you have the time to learn about fit and are not in a hurry, you could also get a really sweet used bike for that $1,500.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For <$1500 you could probably get a much nicer slightly experienced (used) bike than brand new. Check out your local bike and tri clubs. You can often find someone who is selling a decent bike so they can buy a new one. In that case, pay to have a mechanic inspect it... they may find cracks or worn parts you don't see, and it'll be well worth the $100 or whatever. And of course, check out your LBS too and ride everything.... even the bike that are out of your range. Ride them all so you know what you like and want. You can get a decent bike for $1,500, just make sure it fits you, is in good shape, and makes you smile when you see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice from the first reply, but I'd like to add one thing...stay away from sora components(1500 is usually around the ultegra/dura ace price range though). And I second a road bike instead of a tri bike. This way you could do a couple of small bike races too if you wanted to, or group rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about buying a new bike, need your help! [joonya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, ty for all of your input. It sounds liike I will go with a road bike. so, should i be eyeing a specific brand of bike? or are they all pretty comparable...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from Huffy, or any bike you can buy at Walmart etc. Realistically, any of the name brand bikes have similar offerings. It'll just be details like components, paint jobs, slightly different angles, etc. Like the last guy said, avoid Sora. And I still stand by buy the bike that will make you want to ride it. The best bike does no good gathering dust in the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll repeat the ST bike-choosing mantra to spare us all the trouble:

"Get the one that fits you best"

All of the major brands have great choices in that price range. Just check out your local dealers and get a fit from whichever one you trust the most, then buy whatever they carry that you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch has a resource that Dan has set up:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ikes/bikepicker.html

This is probably the most reliable info for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your first road/tri bike I would do the following. I'm assuming you think you want to do a few triathlons but want a bike that is flexible. After a few triathlons you might do more (or you might not).

Ask for here for recommendations on good shops in your area.

Read some articles here on slowtwitch (bike fit, bike picker, shorty aero bars).

Go check out some bikes at those shops and especially see what they have for last years models. With a little luck you can get a great deal on a last year model.

A good bike shop with a good bike fitter is always a great find. If you find a good shop and good fitter but they don't have what you want see if they can get it in or buy somewhere else but pay them to fit you.

Try to get something flexible. If you think you might commute on it get one that you could commute and tri on, maybe you are interested in bike touring, racing etc. Aim low on your price but get something that is flexible. You will find there are lots of other things you might want to add (water bottles/cages, clipless pedals, shoes, tri shorts, tri timing chip strap, aero bars, bento box, aero water bottle, bike computer, CO2, new helmet etc etc).

Personally I bought an entry level cyclocross bike and used it for the first 4-5 years of triathlons. After 2-3 years I added clip-on aero bars. I bought cyclocross not for cyclocross but because they often make good commuter bikes (durable, sealed bearings, strong brakes). I also wanted lugs on the back to mount a rack so I could carry my laptop in a bag on the rack during the commute.

I'm very happy with what I bought. That bike is still my road/commuter bike and I still ride it at least once a week but now I also have a tri specific bike.

The other option is to just get some slicks (slick tires) instead of knobbies for your mountain bike. I guarantee you won't be the only person at a sprint on a moutain bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about buying a new bike, need your help! [DougM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in New York City...any body have any suggestions as to which bike shop i should go to ... to get fitted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard nothing but good from R&A Cycles. Plus they post and support ST...not to mention a ridiculously huge stock (or so I've heard).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking about buying a new bike, need your help! [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome! Thank you everybody...going there this weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I live in New York City...any body have any suggestions as to which bike shop i should go to ... to get fitted?[/reply]

You can also look for F.I.S.T. certified fitters. It doesn't necessarily mean they are good but it is a start.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/dealersurvey/fistcoaches.html
Quote Reply