Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The worst part about road rash
Quote | Reply
it's all on various joints, knees, hip, now it's staring to heal, every time I move, it hurts.

more reason to stay up right on your bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [frogonawire 6.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst part is taking a shower, OWIE!

Take care, you'll be back to normal soon enough.
Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I've been getting by with a modified sponge bath.

now if I could just get a cute nurse...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Via Google Image...

Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
add both feet and the other knee and that's pretty much what it looks like

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hahaha... that top picture is me! I had a bad fall at North Bay triathlon last year (at 60km/h lost my back wheel on a tight corner and skidded into the ditch... finished with my ass hanging out, and got blood on my bib, but finished)...

it was pretty painful the first day/night, then I went out and got some 3m tegaderm... that stuff is magic. Covered up that puppy, and in exactly a week it was completely better. I can't recommend it enough. It keeps things clean and moist, so you can get back on your bike without any pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told a great treatment for road rash this summer after I acquired a great deal in a crit. Once you have cleaned ithe wounds out completely, go to Longs or Rite Aid and pick-up a tub of Aquaphor. Slather (and I do mean slather) that stuff on the wounds and cover with sterile pads. Use some additional wrap to hold it in place. (I used sterile pads, wrapped with some gauze, and wrapped again in an Ace bandage.)

Then, LEAVE IT ALONE as much as possible. I had to change dressings twice a day for a couple of days (usually just post AM and PM workouts), but the more you can keep it covered, the greater the healing speed. Keep using the aquaphor until everything is completely healed (i.e., once you think you are ready to stop, use it a couple more days). Once you did your inital cleaning of the wound, you should not be cleaning it repeatedly. I cannot advocate for the aquaphor enough, it made things alot more comfortable in that first week and the scarring is pretty minimal. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
pick-up a tub of Aquaphor. Slather (and I do mean slather) that stuff on the wounds and cover with sterile pads.

The label on Aquaphor lies. I think they got a special exemption from the FDA, as it fails to list the main ingredient: magic. Aquaphor is Wicked Good Stuff(tm)

The only thing I'd change about what you wrote, is that I put an Adaptic pad over the Aquaphor, and under the gauze. Otherwise, in my case, the gauze would stick to the wound, and when I'd change the bandage, the old bandage pulled off all the new tissue that had formed that day. When I started to use Adaptic bandages, I made a quantum leap in my recovery.

There's those who have fallen, and those who will. You are now the other kind. Welcome to the club.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I crashed on Sunday and am currently nursing my knee, hip, parts of my hand, wrist, forearm and shoulder with Aquaphor. My stepmom had plastic surgery on her face several years back and it's what the doctor recommended to her so that she wouldn't scar, which says a lot in my opinion. Anyway, the stuff seems to be working very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you use tegaderm you can shower and ride again in relative comfort. I'm amazed people put up with scabbing nowadays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you one of the two that crashed right in front of me at Davis in the 3/4/5 race with one lap to go? That sucked - only a little rash but a broken helmet and glasses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
then when it starts to heal it will itch
Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have looked in CVS and Eckard, neither has it. I don't want to buy online and wait for shipping.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally true. With Tegaderm you can carry on life as normal. My leg (the one at the top of the thread with the blue shorts) took two patches to cover it. Put them on Monday afternoon, left it until Saturday night. Took it off, and there was no scab, no open wound, nothing. In the mean time I was able to get back to training with it on my leg, and wasn't hindered in the slightest. Once you have it clean, it stays covered and its not going to get infected. No scab, no pain, no bandages to hinder movement, no changing dressings... IMHO its the only way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walgreens and RiteAid have in in the bandaid section but I just buy it in the 100 count box online so I have some in my first aid kit. If you can't find it in your pharmacy, the ones close to a hospital will have it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aquaphor is the name brand. I know CVS has a generic because I have some. Used on my sons dry skin and it healed it faster than the steriodal cream. Great stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That dosen't sound like me, but I did crash in Davis in the 4s race--twice (I can't believe I just admitted that). The first wasn't me fault, honest. Someone inside of me changed their line going through the first turn, bumped into me and moved me over such that I locked handlebars with the guy next to me. Coming out of the turn we both went down, along with someone else.

Then there was the guy who went sailing into the hay bales a few laps later causing the our race to be stopped so that they could bring on the ambulance. That was scarry.

Then, at the re-start, I let myself get shuffled back and knew I had to move up, so I took the last corner wide with four laps to go thinking I can get a jump moving up the straight. I took a pedal stroke too soon coming out of the turn and lost the rear wheel, sliding on the same side already banged up from earlier. What a fiasco.

I had cause to consider wh that race is so crash prone. I think it is because the fields are so big and the Davis streets have such a severe camber that, coming into every corner, two lanes worth of riders get forced into 2/3 of the roadway. and then you through in the S-turn and things are a bit dicey. I have never seen a race where every category has so many crashes in every category. The rumor is that roadwork may necessitate a course change next year.

Anyway, this weekend at Winters will be first race since then, though largely do to lack of opportunity rather than unwillingness to get back out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad that was not you in the ambulance. Did the 3/4/5 race and was positioned in 6th coming around the last corner with 1 more lap to go feeling like I still had a good sprint in the legs then two guys went down right in front of me and I had nowhere to go. Did everything right staying up front and the boneheads still crashed. Lafayette and Santa Rosa went a little better, but there were still crashes. Anyway - will see you at Winters - GL. Doing the 35+ 4/5 in the Bycycles Plus gear with torn shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the aquapor last night, what's the magic ingredient? so far, it looks and feels like expensive vaseline!

from the label - active ingredient: petroleum jelly

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tegaderm!

Looks like saran wrap, so far - awesome! took a shower for the first time in 6 days.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - I lost my cherry last night too. F***ing rubber shit by some railroad tracks . . . and it was raining. The first thing I checked was my bike, then my wounds and then my next thought was to get a pic to post on ST. However, after seeing your damage, mine was not that interesting. Good thing I was freshly shaven. I just have two issues, (1) I hope I did not jam my hip or bang my knee up too bad as I have a race this weekend, and (2) what do you do about the bike - I plan to replace the handelbar tape, but do you just wear the scraped break lever and rear derailer as a badge of honor?
Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the Tegaderm! don't worry about the bike scrapes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Got the aquapor last night, what's the magic ingredient? so far, it looks and feels like expensive vaseline!

from the label - active ingredient: petroleum jelly[/reply]

O yee of little faith. Like we said, Aquaphor is magic and the FDA does not require the disclosure of magic as an active ingredient. I don't deny that Tegaderm works, but for those of us on a budget, Aquaphor is killer stuff. Hope you heal well.
Quote Reply
Re: The worst part about road rash [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scraped brake levers and rear d.-Badge of Honor?

or

Big Flashing Red Light? You decide.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]Got the aquapor last night, what's the magic ingredient? so far, it looks and feels like expensive vaseline!

from the label - active ingredient: petroleum jelly[/reply]

O yee of little faith. Like we said, Aquaphor is magic and the FDA does not require the disclosure of magic as an active ingredient. I don't deny that Tegaderm works, but for those of us on a budget, Aquaphor is killer stuff. Hope you heal well.

Garth, Tegaderm is CHEAP. I love that stuff. Way cheaper than that goopy junk you keep pushing after you include the bandages, etc. Hear me now, believe me later, or however it went on SNL.

Now, if you want expensive, go with Duoderm. Much thicker than Tegaderm, and flesh-colored. I paid about $80 for a box of maybe 20 patches. THAT stuff works really well, as it was designed for diabetics with bedsores. You slap it on, and it actually traps the moisture/seeping from the wound and heals it like brandy new skin. I sadly had to use it on my face, and kneecaps. I used Tegaderm on the hip, shoulder, etc., for economy.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply