Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The titanium argument
Quote | Reply
Why ti over alu or carbon?

Ti frames still seem to hold a crazy premium even with all the new-age cf stuff. What gives and are we just buying into it?

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's buying into it? Is anybody making frames from ti anymore? I haven't seen a mainstream ti bike in quite a few years ... precisely for the reasons you state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:
Ti frames still seem to hold a crazy premium

If Ti frames are expensive, it's due to economies of scale. If a Ti frame maker can sell just 1/10th the number of frames compared to a carbon frame building, their costs per frame are going to be higher.

-David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITT-

One person who understands basic economics and 2 people who have never ridden a titanium bike.

-All You Haters Suck My Balls-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't crank out Ti frames from molds in Chinese factories by the hundreds daily. So therefore, they cost more to make.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the cost of Titanium, the raw material, can be quite high.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:

Ti frames still seem to hold a crazy premium even with all the new-age cf stuff. What gives and are we just buying into it?

In in the extremes, it is the difference b/t a hand-made, hand-craft bike (Ti) and a mass-produced, open mold plastic bike. Plus the Ti will last forever.

But, overall, define "crazy premium." My Litespeed Saber frame was $2,100. My Specialized Transition frame was (IIRC) $2,200. A Speed Concept 9 frame is $4,000.

As far as Al vs. Ti - dude, you need to ride both to figure that one out. That is not a knock on Al, which is still a fantastic bike material, but, it hardly compares to Ti (or steel, for that matter). There are a couple threads on Ti - ride, etc. So, I will not repeat everything here.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is some perception that it is more comfortable
tube diameters are smaller than aluminum, so more aerodynamic. usually lighter than steel frames unless the steel frame is just as expensive.

pretty when unpainted.

Livetotri wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA - carbon lasts as forever as titanium does, and carbon is built by hand too. It certainly irks me that when asian hands build a bike it is considered mass produced but if an anglo builds a bike it is art.

=)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of it has to do with the fact that a good titanium frame will last pretty-much forever. It's much more durable that carbon fiber (think impact damage), and you can easily buff out minor scuffs/scratches with a Scotchbrite pad. Heck, spend a few hours buffing your 10yr old titanium frame, throw new decals on, and you're back to new.

Then, there's the reported vibration damping characteristics of titanium. Yes, frame geometry, tire pressure, etc. etc. all affect this. But, the fact remains that there is a belief, especially among those that ride titanium, that the damping characteristics of the material are excellent for a bicycle frame. That's it's big appeal over aluminum.

I'd LOVE to have a titanium frame. But, they're just out of my budget range for a road bike and there's not a real contender for the truly aero bikes in aerodynamics for a tri bike.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
JSA - carbon lasts as forever as titanium does, and carbon is built by hand too. It certainly irks me that when asian hands build a bike it is considered mass produced but if an anglo builds a bike it is art.
=)

Hmmmmm. I have had to replace 3 carbon frames, but, never had a failure with my two Ti frames. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I am just too powerful for plastic! ;-p

Regarding "built by hand" - come on, Jack. There are "hand made" carbon bikes and then there are carbon bike made by hands feeding resin and thread into machines (regardless of the nationality of those hands). ;-0 But, Ti bikes cannot be cranked out in mass-production fashion.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think any bike company has a carbon weaving machine like lexus. The cutting may be mechanized but asian hands will still be laying it up I believe.

welding mass produced tubes together doesn't seem substantively different =)

JSA wrote:
jackmott wrote:
=)

Hmmmmm. I have had to replace 3 carbon frames, but, never had a failure with my two Ti frames. I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I am just too powerful for plastic! ;-p

Regarding "built by hand" - come on, Jack. There are "hand made" carbon bikes and then there are carbon bike made by hands feeding resin and thread into machines (regardless of the nationality of those hands). ;-0 But, Ti bikes cannot be cranked out in mass-production fashion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned bikes made of Al, Ti, Steel and Carbon. I'd actually say that so far the smoothest ride was steel, but to be fair both the carbon and Ti are tri bikes which throws the comparison off a bit. My race bike for triathlon is Ti and despite it's relative non-aeroness, it's a great ride. Smooth, very stiff and just has solid feel. For the same price I could have picked up one of the new super bikes, but I'm happy with my choice.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and I both know if Cervelo made a Ti bike, you would change your tune ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have owned a Ti bike before, a quintana roo.
It was nice.

My bikes are mass produced aluminium, nothing cool about them at all! (for now!)

JSA wrote:
You and I both know if Cervelo made a Ti bike, you would change your tune ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Ti bikes cannot be cranked out in mass-production fashion.

What?!
The only difference in building bikes out of Ti and building bikes out of AL or Steel is that the TI is required to be fully separated from oxygen when welded. Since industrial applications utilize either welding boxes or sealed rooms filled with inert gases, this is not as big an issue as you might think.

For all other opertions, Ti works the same as Steel, machining, forging, cutting, etc.

For that matter, Titanium does "rust". Only it happens almost immediately, the "rust" or oxide is very thin, and is harder than the base metal. Titanium Dioxide also happens to be a common pigment for painters: Titanium White.

I assure you that manufacturers mass produce titanium products everyday that are more complex than a bike frame.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Chinese have not yet been able to get children proficient in welding titanium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ti is an amazing ride. The bike absorbs the road, yet is stiff and compliant. I have owned alum, steel and carbon bikes as well and for me my Ti bikes are my favorite by far. I also like the fact that when I show up to race my bike is unique and doesn't look like every other carbon bike in T1.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orcaman wrote:
Ti is an amazing ride. The bike absorbs the road, yet is stiff and compliant.

What a bunch of hooey.

(proud owner of a 1995 Serotta titanium road bike)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
JSA - carbon lasts as forever as titanium does,

=)

Until you crash. Now obviously nothing is indestructible but I like the Ti frame's chances a whole lot better n that situation.
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is that universally true or does it depend on the design of the respective titanium and carbon bikes?

what if the bikes were of equal weight? =)

Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [Trash Talk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trash Talk wrote:
ITT-

One person who understands basic economics and 2 people who have never ridden a titanium bike.

lol win.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
If I'm betting my own money on it, yeah, it's universally true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would buy a ti version of the cervelo p3sl
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next