Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The new Scott Foil aero bike
Quote | Reply
Got to see and play a bit with the new Scott Foil in Austria and I have to say, it is felt great and looks sharp too.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...s_new_Foil_5163.html
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purdy. I'm not supposed to want another bike yet though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6w claimed improvement over the previous bike, including the one-piece aero road bar? A bit underwhelming considering the previous Foil was only semi-aero to begin with. Makes me wonder why their graphs only show an old-vs-new comparison, and not any of their competitors.

I'm holding out for the 30th of June. By then all the new aero-road offerings will be revealed.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
6w claimed improvement over the previous bike, including the one-piece aero road bar? A bit underwhelming considering the previous Foil was only semi-aero to begin with. Makes me wonder why their graphs only show an old-vs-new comparison, and not any of their competitors.

I'm holding out for the 30th of June. By then all the new aero-road offerings will be revealed.

Quote:
and according to data from Scott Sports they tickled 6 watts of drag saving out of the frame through various changes such as a new aero headtube, a dropped downtube and lowered integrated seatstays.

I think that the article was referring to the frame along, not including the aero road bars. It will be interesting to see how this bike stacks up against the new venge / madone.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any images of the rear brake? Is it also direct mount?

Quote | Reply
It is direct mounted below the chainstays
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a really nice looking bike. I mentioned this on the front page as well but it seems that the downtube was specifically designed around a water bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The previous Foil did actually decently well in an aero test at Tour magazine. Not in the top bunch, but right near it. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gorgeous bike; I'm surprised they didn't integrate the front brake somehow though.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect Scott didn't want to put the money into a no expense spared aero redesign, the way Specialized and Trek appear to have done. Maybe they subscribe to the 80/20 rule, where 20% of the cost will get one 80% of the benefit. Not a bad practice especially in times of constant change. I don't like the location of the rear brakes on this new bike but, keeping standard caliper type brakes (front & rear) provides a low risk solution to braking, albeit with some aero disadvantage though probably not a lot. Defining the point of diminishing returns gets complicated with bikes.
Last edited by: NealH: Jun 26, 15 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I suspect Scott didn't want to put the money into a no expense spared aero redesign, the way Specialized and Trek appear to have done. Maybe they subscribe to the 80/20 rule, where 20% of the cost will get one 80% of the benefit. Not a bad practice especially in times of constant change. I don't like the location of the rear brakes on this new bike but, keeping standard caliper type brakes (front & rear) provides a low risk solution to braking, albeit with some aero disadvantage though probably not a lot. Defining the point of diminishing returns gets complicated with bikes.

Looks like a complete re-design to me. And no one seems to fault the S5 for going with conventionl brakes.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well this one seems a bit more of a quiet launch compared to the new venge.

if it rides as well, sprints, is as stiff as as all hell like the current foil, then job well done. But ill keep my current foil, i think the new madone is the better looking of the new bunch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like a decent bike, but in line with Dan's article of the Scott Plasma superbike that tri geeks don't seem to care much for, judging exclusively from the view and discussion on this thread, few on ST care about this bike. Maybe if you get one under the Ironcowboy, it will get more coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not specifically a reply to you, Dev.

There is a lot of similarity between this new Foil and the Fuji Norcom Strait, to my untrained eye at least.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
well this one seems a bit more of a quiet launch compared to the new venge.

At least as it pertains to the popularity of this thread, I nearly missed it because it's a sticky. It's become habit to ignore the first few lines of topics because they're sticky items and don't often have new content.
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toss some of the aero EE dual mount brakes on the front and rear and you have nice set up with a low profile brake with housing that routes near center of headtube and is crazy light and has DA quality power and modulation!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purdy.

Yep

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent, but looking at the Spesh ViAS and upcoming Trek Madone, it's just not quite as extreme and therefore, well, less interesting - which probably generates less of a discussion. The launch wasn't anywhere near as dramatic as Specialized's launch, which was all over the web.

It's probably a brilliant bike, just seems like a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type frame - aero, but not the most, with a hint of comfort and a nod to the weightweenie crowd so as not to offend them. I might snag one of the lower-rung models, depending on pricing compared to the S2, Propel and next Madone.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6W improvement and 3-4 from the bars alone?
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting though, compare the Facebook likes of the two stories.

Scott Foil

and Specialized Vias

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Everything_5159.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Interesting though, compare the Facebook likes of the two stories.
Scott Foil

and Specialized Vias

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Everything_5159.html

Facebook likes and handlebar aero-watts? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow this looks awesome. Any provisions for computer mounting like the Specialized has?
Last edited by: dzxc: Jun 29, 15 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: The new Scott Foil aero bike [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is integrated in the stem, with a long and short option. You can see it here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
Decent, but looking at the Spesh ViAS and upcoming Trek Madone, it's just not quite as extreme and therefore, well, less interesting - which probably generates less of a discussion. The launch wasn't anywhere near as dramatic as Specialized's launch, which was all over the web.

It's probably a brilliant bike, just seems like a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type frame - aero, but not the most, with a hint of comfort and a nod to the weightweenie crowd so as not to offend them. I might snag one of the lower-rung models, depending on pricing compared to the S2, Propel and next Madone.

In general, I don't think there is a large appeal from the aeroness in aero road bikes. Think of the market for road bike? How many of those people actually race and care about saving some watts while sitting in the pack. Aeroness on TT bikes has a much larger market. Go to transition at any IM or Challenge event and there is $10M of aero equipment sitting in transition. I challenge you to find a single road race where there is that much volume of aero equipment on the starting line. I think features like aero placement of brakes which potentially sacrifice braking power (not always, but more than standard brake placement) results in negative feature if you are a road racer or riding grand fondos on technical terrain. My 2 cents on this market segment. If road racers really cared about aero bikes, then regular round (or near round tube) road bikes would cease to exist, because the aero bikes will always have better race performance for the same geometry (as many here say ride stiffness/harshness can be modified dramatically with tire/wheel/saddle selection).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Didn't you see Nibali win the Italian road championships on the new Venge?

Oh, hang on, he was on a Tarmac ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next