Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again
Quote | Reply
Well, as a follow-up to my post about easing my wife’s worries about me road biking again after a long layoff, I took some advice from ST-ers. I got my Road ID ankle info, a blinding rear blinking light, a fluorescent yellow vest, a mirror for my bars, and a Find my iPhone app.

I look like a total goober but who cares, better a fred than dead, she feels better about it, and most importantly, it felt GREAT to be back on the bike today. I didn’t realize how much I missed it. Mountain biking is fine but it’s certainly not the same as road biking.
Quote Reply
Re: The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again [martind28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know a really fast guy that rides with one of those little mirrors on his glasses....hes a smart guy.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again [martind28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing Fred about safety. One guy I ride with (ex Marine, ex local racer, still badass) rides w all that (well not a vest, but reflective clothes and strips on his bike). He has a daughter he's responsible for, but doesn't let short crappy winter days keep him from riding all day with crappy dark urban miles home.

The mirror is because he leads group rides and has to make sure he's not dropping the rest of us.

One time we were riding on some nasty roads and his rear light popped off and cracked when it hit the pavement. He calmly reached into his medium sized saddle bag (vs my weenie minimal one) and pulled out a spare. I asked him incredulously you carry another spare light?? He calmly replied, well, they fall and break, don't they?
Last edited by: jjcha: Jul 13, 14 12:33
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jjcha [ In reply to ]
Re: The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again [jjcha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjcha wrote:
One time we were riding on some nasty roads and his rear light popped off and cracked when it hit the pavement. He calmly reached into his medium sized saddle bag (vs my weenie minimal one) and pulled out a spare. I asked him incredulously you carry another spare light?? He calmly replied, well, they fall and break, don't they?

If he's lost lights like that a few times he's doing something wrong.

Battery failure I can see happening (but you can usually spot it beginning by the light getting weaker). But lights falling off? Put them on better or get a different light/mounting system.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jul 13, 14 16:00
Quote Reply
Re: The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again [jjcha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with two button type LED red lights on the back of my helmet, and another 2 on my bike. I change the batteries at different times so I always have 2 lights with more than half battery and 2 with less than half battery.

I have one blinding front light on my bike, and it's on when it's dark and flashing at all other times. I also have a single button light on my helmet flashing at all times.

I have been hit by cars several times. the problem is that while they can see you when you are lit up like a Xmas tree, that only solves half the problem. Even if they see you, they have to care enough to do something about it. Enough motorists don't give a sh*t, that we cyclists get hit from time to time, even when we are riding legally, and highly visible.

I also ride with a go pro on my daily commutes so I can at least find the offending motorists and get insurance sorted. Not ideal but better than paying for my new bike myself.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blinky light w/ HD cam.

http://fly6.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In light of what you *actually* wrote (rather than the immediate tangent), welcome back to the land of biking, in whatever form it takes to keep the missus happy. It reminds me why I'm happy to see other cyclists out there, regardless of their fitness and garb.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
I ride with two button type LED red lights on the back of my helmet, and another 2 on my bike. I change the batteries at different times so I always have 2 lights with more than half battery and 2 with less than half battery.

I have one blinding front light on my bike, and it's on when it's dark and flashing at all other times. I also have a single button light on my helmet flashing at all times.

I have been hit by cars several times. the problem is that while they can see you when you are lit up like a Xmas tree, that only solves half the problem. Even if they see you, they have to care enough to do something about it. Enough motorists don't give a sh*t, that we cyclists get hit from time to time, even when we are riding legally, and highly visible.

I also ride with a go pro on my daily commutes so I can at least find the offending motorists and get insurance sorted. Not ideal but better than paying for my new bike myself.
\

GoPro settings question... What resolution, frame rate? Battery life? I have a Hero3 that I'm going to start using as a forward looking cam with a Fly6 on the rear.

Thanks!

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Smart

Long Island

Very Smart (and a little lucky)

Reflective, lights, mirrors, a waste of time here. You had better simply know where to ride and when, and hope some ass doesn't get you anyway.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: The nanny state of biking but who cares, I'm riding again [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an original gopro. Not perfect but excellent for commuting and getting bus licence plates :-)
I have it set to 1080 and 30 fps. Im running a 32gig sd card which is the biggeest it will take in the old gopro. Not sure about battery life. I record 2 hours of video which is 2 days for me. I clear the sd and charge it up e ery second day.
I ha e a really simple handle bar mount and hang the camera under the bar. It records upside down. I downloaded gopro studio and that flips it up the right way with one touch. Easy as.
DX.com has great prices on accessories if you're looking

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safety equipment is nice, but bad drivers will overcome the best laid plans.

If you really care about your spouse make sure you have insurance to cover her should something happen to you -- both life and disability.

After being hit I realized I don't want to turn my hobby into a lifetime burden for my spouse.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply