Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in?
Quote | Reply
I'll be going my yearly trip to Disney. It really is a love/hate relationship with this place. I love that my kids absolutely have a blast, but I'm an impatient person and feel my head may explode about 10x per day. My saving grace is that I will be able to run early in the morning and get my peace and quiet before the shit hits the fan when the gates open.

I need to string together about a 19-20 mile run. I'm not staying at the Disney hotels for the first time. We're staying at the Hyatt Grand Cypress which is right outside the Disney complex.

Anyone have any good suggestions where I can get a 19-20mile run in? Safe from alligators and gang members? I don't mind driving a few minutes as I'll have a rental car.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4x5 mile loops?

5x4 mile loops?

Why do you need to do a 20 mile run on a vacation that is family focused?
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
4x5 mile loops?

5x4 mile loops?

Right. Agreed.

30 miles?
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
4x5 mile loops?

5x4 mile loops?

Agreed! When we went to Disney for 5 days I was curious how much a day I was walking. Wore my Garmin one day and we averaged 8-12mi a day walking. Had a half marathon two days after the trip. Was my worst half in years, my legs were wrecked from all the walking.

My advice would be just enjoy the trip and know that you are walking a ton, maybe not much upper aerobic benefit, but definitely durability.

Last edited by: JustinNorCal: Oct 20, 14 19:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
4x5 mile loops?

5x4 mile loops?

Why Not? I didn't know that 20mile runs were contraindicated on family vacations.

I love running in the morning before the day starts. Why stop running just because I'm on vacation? All of my runs are done before anyone is even awake. By the time all of the kids and my wife are awake I'm already showered and ready to take on Disney. As for the specific 20 miler - training for a marathon in a month and don't want to skip out on my long run.
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your willing to drive about 20 min there is a great 10mi dirt road loop called the clay trails. most central Fla runners try and run there as much as they can. You can access the loop off Rt 27 just across from Lake Louisa Park on the west side or off of Schofield Rd (off cr 545/ Avalon Rd.) from the east side which is closer to you. I usually go in that way and and just park my car where 5 mile rd intersects it. It's all dirt roads and rolling terrain. Mainly an agricultural area. Google map it. You'll find Avalon/Schofield rd right near Orange National Golf Course. Best place for running. Nobody out there. Just do two loops if you can ;) The loop is 5 mi rd/Shell pond/N Bradshaw which makes 10 mi
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

Just enjoy your family time. You could do your 20 miler, but you'll be tired all day. You don't want to be melting down at the same time your kids do. I just did a shorter, harder run instead and called it good. You won't lose much, if anything.
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [mdcrag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Disney for the love of God! The 20 miler will be the highlight of the day.

To the OP: You win father of the year. I could only make it once to that place. My kids will have to complain to their future therapists that their mother was too grumpy to go more than once to the happiest place on earth:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't want to travel, there are sidewalks on 535 going north from your hotel that run the length of it all the way up to Winter Garden. Probably 13-15mi. Yes, Sidewalks all the way and it is safe;) Happy pounding!
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [mdcrag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife "forces" me to go every December. I'm glad someone else mentioned the walking you do at the parks. My legs were toast. I had planned to do a 16 mile run one morning and only made it 12. The combination of extensive walking time on my legs, and the freaking early morning humidity, killed me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdcrag wrote:
x2

Just enjoy your family time. You could do your 20 miler, but you'll be tired all day. You don't want to be melting down at the same time your kids do. I just did a shorter, harder run instead and called it good. You won't lose much, if anything.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [ChrispyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrispyG wrote:
If you don't want to travel, there are sidewalks on 535 going north from your hotel that run the length of it all the way up to Winter Garden. Probably 13-15mi. Yes, Sidewalks all the way and it is safe;) Happy pounding!

Thanks. Thats where I"ll be headed. I'm happy as long as there's no gators to trip over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'd be a 30ish minute drive from Disney in the early AM but I've done a couple long runs on the Seminole Wekiva trail which is very nice (not too many road crossings) when I happened to be in town.

http://www.traillink.com/...le-wekiva-trail.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I applaud your commitment to the kids having fun. For me to enter Disney, I'd have to be on some Fear Factor reality adventure TV show with minimum of $100,000 prize. Then again, I don't have kids so it's easy for me say this. Maybe with kids I'd lower the prize to $50,000.

Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say it's contraindicated, I just personally know stressful it is for me to try to fit in anything other than a short run on family focused trips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i stayed in the park and the guy at the hotel suggested I jog around the parking lot. They only provide plastic utensils in the eating area to keep dads from attempting to gouge their eyes out. Have a magical time!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first disney trip last month. I got up early each morning and did my runs on the golf course at the hotel we were staying at. I didn't go as far as 20, but I had the course to myself and it made for pretty scenery and had enough of a rolling path to make it fun. You could do a search for the closest golf course to the Hyatt and go that route.

As for Disney, I hope to never go back...very unimpressive.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: The love/hate Disney trip... Where can i get a 20mile run in? [ChrispyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrispyG wrote:

This. I might see you too as I ride out there once and a while. Also, you could make a right out of Grand Cypress and go to Lake Buena Vista/Apopka Vineland (your first light) make a left and head north. Sidewalks all the way, nice neighborhoods, and a few rolling hills! Probably really close to 20 if you go to where it dead-ends then return.
Quote Reply