Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe
Quote | Reply
I've heard a fair bit of chatter about IMLT being discontinued after 2015. I love the area and would love to do IMLT however, after a heavy triathlon season this year it may be tough to get the wife to sign off on IMLT for 2015, UNLESS it will be discontinued? Thoughts???
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [TeamMOJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it will be around after 2015. Risk of nature impacting the race is just too high.

Quote | Reply
I think the numbers will tale the tell. If the 70.3 does well, and the IM has under a 1000, then it may end up as just a 70.3 similar to St George. If neither races do well, and they have any kind of exit in their contract, then it's probably toast. So cross your fingers for great weather, no fire, no issues, and lots of participants.
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a west coaster living in Sacramento, Tahoe is less than 2 hours from me. With not many choices here on the West coast, my plan is to do my first full next year and Tahoe is the best choice for me considering logistics and cost. Hoping everything is perfect next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mention "contract" does WTC have an obligated time to fulfill events brought to a particular city? If so, it seems we could or should get this information. IMLT has had a rough initial go but is a beautiful location, not unlike IMCA which was my first IM this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if weather cooperates for a couple straight this race will become as strong as any IM. Couldn't be in a more epic venue. I was there this year... Very devastating, but I want to go back bad. There is a facebook group full of passionate athletes that are already raring to go for 2015,
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't they have a 5 year contract with Tahoe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm seriously considering Tahoe next year, but the relatively high (vs other IMs) chance of a canceled swim is a big detriment to fishes like me. Maybe I'll end up doing IMMOO

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:

I have now idea as to the legalities around the contract, but there could be a situation where it is agreed by both parties that it isn't viable (IE low numbers for WTC and high cost to the city or region of Tahoe…donations in kind, direct contributions for WTC vs the net effect….low vs high participants etc)

No idea as to the numbers this year so far, I am also not really sure what the tipping point is for participants vs profit. For example NYC sold out at 1100$ (IIRC over 2500 people) per head but at the end of the day wasn't profitable for WTC.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamMOJO wrote:
I've heard a fair bit of chatter about IMLT being discontinued after 2015. I love the area and would love to do IMLT however, after a heavy triathlon season this year it may be tough to get the wife to sign off on IMLT for 2015, UNLESS it will be discontinued? Thoughts???

Why? Some folks just love to always focus on the sky is falling!

There is not a better race course in NA. Last year would have been perfect expect for the fire.

I am signed up and ready to go for my third year.

California could fall into the ocean from an earthquake and Tahoe becomes beach front property.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect Response! All of our IRONMAN's are unique and offer different courses. Tahoe is a fantastic venue and a challenging course. We are looking forward to a great race in 2015! Z
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With 9 IM finishes (most recently in AZ), 2013 Tahoe was my favorite course. It nearly killed me, but the swim was incredible (super clear water, snowcapped peaks), the bike was infinitely scenic (and crazy tough) and the run course, though I did 90% of it in the dark, was beautiful alongside the Truckee River. Let's hope it continues!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there aren't many courses that this old lady from the tropics and land of pancake flat would consider doing up there but that race sure has me interested. i've sworn i'd never do a race that requires a wetsuit but i may just have to eat my words if they are around in 2016. i already have 2 IMs planned in 2015 and too much travel to consider it next year, but the year after... that race is about the only one up there i'd consider doing....i would need some SERIOUS winter wear to do it though.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:

If they have a 5 year contract (which is the norm), I'm sure it is rather one sided and leans heavily in WTC's favor...........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there's a contract, it's more than likely public record with the county board of supervisors and/or city council. But you'd have to request it. I don;t see why they would need to be able to keep the terms confidential, as supporting the race involves public funds.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. Best IM out of 10.
The swim was head and shoulders better than any other open water swim I've ever done. Anywhere.

Do it now if you are worried it won't be back. It's a magical place to run around outdoors for a day.
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To answer "why?" : I am an owner of a quickly growing business, I am a husband, I am a father of two young children. This year was full of half and full IM races, and as you all know training for a 140.6 takes a significant amount of time AND support from family.

I may not have that support in 2015 for another full. But if it might be discontinued in 2016 then I would likely have the support needed since my family knows how much I love the Tahoe area (growing up I spent all free time in those mountains at our family cabin).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I think the numbers will tale the tell. If the 70.3 does well, and the IM has under a 1000, then it may end up as just a 70.3 similar to St George. If neither races do well, and they have any kind of exit in their contract, then it's probably toast. So cross your fingers for great weather, no fire, no issues, and lots of participants.

Agreed, Paul. I think 2015 numbers might look okay because the '14 folks got free entry if they wanted it so I'm sure many will be back.

I think the numbers would be very, very low if WTC had said "Tough shit!" to everyone.

Hopefully 2015 goes off with any issue and the race survives. One more issue and it's done.

I'd love to do this race and it's not the tough nature of the bike course or anything that keeps me away, it's the altitude and possibility of cold weather that keeps me away. I live at 150 feet and it's still 90-100 degrees in mid-Sept.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
With 9 IM finishes (most recently in AZ), 2013 Tahoe was my favorite course. It nearly killed me, but the swim was incredible (super clear water, snowcapped peaks), the bike was infinitely scenic (and crazy tough) and the run course, though I did 90% of it in the dark, was beautiful alongside the Truckee River. Let's hope it continues!

This, exactly, except-back door brag-I finished in the light :-).

I keep thinking back to what a beautiful course it was, how magic it was standing on the beach with the snow covered mountain peaks all around while waiting to start, how tough it was, but how satisfying to finish.

It would truly be a shame for this race to go away. Of course, maybe this race is like childbirth---a couple years removed you forget the pain and suffering and just remember the cool parts (not that I have personally experienced childbirth).

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course there's a contract! It would specify the duties of each party, and cover WTC's concern over how much the local community is providing in cash and non-cash contributions. But I bet it only requires that WTC puts on an "event" not necessarily a full Ironman. That's probably how they satisfied their end of the deal at St George when they replaced the IM with a 70.3. Of course, I am not privy to the contract and am only guessing. And I'm not sure how they got out of NYC with just one year unless that's all the contract specified.

Again, I'm not saying it will fold, just guessing that another bad year for any reason could doom the full distance event. For all those entered and who might enter, I hope the weather is fantastic, the logistics flawless, and their race performance better than expected.
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also chiming in to say that out of 15, Lake Tahoe is my favorite. Beautiful course, amazing swim and epic challenge!

Will be sad if this one goes away, but at least having a 70.3 would help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the main driver that killed IMNYC were an increase in bridge fees to shut down the GWB. Port Authority nearly doubled it. I think that gave WTC the ability to nullify the contract.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for '15 and plan to do it every year if I can help it. Fortunate to live close enough where I can drive up there and find fairly cheap lodging for weekend training sessions. There's also a bunch of other stuff for my non-tri family/friends to do as well, so everyone's happy.
Quote Reply
Re: The future of Ironman Lake Tahoe [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you familiar with the course, what exactly is it that makes the bike course so challenging? I know Brockway is a nice climb and when Martis was also involved, big time killer. But, Martis has been removed and I've read other threads that say Tahoe has a lot of flat. Is it mainly the Brockway climb 2x or are there other parts of the course that kill ya. Luckily, I live fairly close and will be able to spend some time training there and can see first hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maddog95835 wrote:
For those of you familiar with the course, what exactly is it that makes the bike course so challenging? I know Brockway is a nice climb and when Martis was also involved, big time killer. But, Martis has been removed and I've read other threads that say Tahoe has a lot of flat. Is it mainly the Brockway climb 2x or are there other parts of the course that kill ya. Luckily, I live fairly close and will be able to spend some time training there and can see first hand.

There is just a lot of climbing, with brockway just one part. So for folks who do not really train on the bike or have things like correct gearing, and add in the altitude, for many , it is very hard.
But, this is one of the things I love about the course, it is a great challenge.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next