Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Value of Coaching
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I would like to hear feedback on what other members feel the value of coaching would be for me. It is a question of balancing how much I pay for coaching versus how much I could spend on races. As I live in Taiwan, I have limited number of high quality full and half IM distance races I can travel too without flying, which ramps up the costs quickly!

So my background is this:
Nationally ranked competitive swimmer in Canada until age 15. Swam 53 minutes at IM Taiwan.
Biked recreationally; fairly strong cyclists now. (2:23 at 70.3WC on Mt Tremblant course, 5:23 IM split on a hilly and windy Taiwan course.)
Running: NEVER a runner. First HIM, ran 2:04 in 2013. Ran 1:41 at Mt Tremblant, 3:37 at IM Taiwan. Currently, I love running and I am decent, but far from fast. Ran 3:20 42.2km during a training run that I decided to go the marathon distance on halfway through simply because I was feeling fine and having fun. I think if I really pushed it, I could do 3:05-3:10 in an open marathon in under 22 degrees C conditions.

Three years ago I was 70lbs heavier than I am now and completely inactive. I have ramped up my training volume with no injuries save a broken tibia from a car crash. That was screwed together and screws removed with little longterm consequences. My massage therapist warns me of ongoing weakness in my hips and glutes that I have been trying to address with workouts I found online. (basic core work, trx suspension moves)

Training:
I have loads of free time and love to train. Highly motivated, and train about 25-30 hours. Workouts are generally based on a general plan, trial and error, and the simple fact of how I feel that day, what I feel works and so on. My run improvement has come simply from running 5 times a week, a flat long run of 30-35km, a hill run around 25-30km, and a tempo run.

Given the absolute lack of structure in my training, I feel there must be significant room for improvement if I had someone to guide me. On the other hand, I have made significant progress on my own, qualifying for 70.3 WC twice and this year 2nd in my M40AG at 10:04 and a Kona slot. Again, because of my location, coaching would be online. The coach I have in mind is highly experienced, worked with athletes of various abilities and ages, and fully certified in a national coaching leadership position in a country highly known for its triathlon prowess. Top notch racer himself with 9:20 IM times in his thirties.

Triathlon is all about fun for me; my competitive side is part of that, but I really wouldn't go out to train on a day when I wasn't into it. I'm worried the structure of a training plan could take that aspect of the sport away from me. Also, I own all my mistakes and shortcomings as well as my successes. I want to get my run to a 3:15 IM split and go under 9h30. (not a kona unless the winds don't blow on the bike this year!)

So...to get to the next level....carry on as I have...or do you think a coach would be an invaluable asset in building on what I've done?
Quote Reply
Re: The Value of Coaching [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have similar backgrounds in terms of competitive swimming, decent cyclists, and never was a runner. I went the coaching route and I also became a coach, so I speak from both angles.

I do think a coach can be help improvements and I think you can find one that caters to how you feel about triathlon, your competitive side, and your views on training. I'm a firm believer in listening to the athlete and adapting programs and training to the individual. You should be a single athlete not one athlete of many. I have been in the predicament where the coach had too many athletes, we all received the same workouts, and review of my data and logs were non-existent, with the exception if I spoke about an injury. A coach can do a great deal with your run and bike and a valuable asset, but I think the right coach helps with that. I always suggest athletes ask a lot of questions to make well informed decisions.

Hope this helps, at least a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My short answer: get the coach.

Long answer:
You mention some concern about how getting a coach, and having a structured training plan could compromise your fun and enjoyment of the sport, yet you also want to improve and go to the next level. The fear of it not being fun anymore is a typical concern for people who shrink away from challenging themselves, they keep their commitment low so that it doesn't matter as much. With you, I sense it already matters a lot. You are already partly there, you train a lot and want to go for it and see what you can do. That's cool!

It can be really really fun to be highly committed to the process of being your best, to have a coach who is on the same page as you and is invested in your improvement is a big help. High commitment can be hard at times navigating disappointments and setbacks. Both aspects of it are things you can learn from and help you grow as a person. It matters how do it and what you focus on. If someone is focused on an external goal, getting a certain time or result, or perhaps they are a perfectionist and are really hard and self-critical. These things will not help but they do not have to be there. You can be committed and driven and not be overly self-critical, you can care a lot about your passion and have fun and have friends and a family. A coach can help with all of these things!

Best of luck to you.

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in a similar possition only that I don't race longdistance (and don't plan on)

isn't figuring out the training and what works part of the enjoyment? at least for me it is.

I don't consider getting coached unless there would be a situation available with almost daily face-to-face contact (which I had for years as a rower so I really can't imagine the benefit of online coaching)

In my eyes training for triathlon in somewhat personal (depending on the strength and weaknesses and durabilety) and stupidly easy. do the work and get the results. for people with very limited time it might be different as they need a lot more intensity the go anywhere but if you have 25-30 hours do 90% of them easy and 10% very hard with 1-2 key sessions in each sport.
for me an other key component is to build a network of other people to train with and in that regard it help a lot to be flexible and I belive for example doing a slightly less ideal track session (like 800m reps instead of 2k's or whatever) with other who push me is more benefitial than having someone tell me what should be perfect in theory but than having to do it alone.
Quote Reply
Re: The Value of Coaching [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
I am in a similar possition only that I don't race longdistance (and don't plan on)

isn't figuring out the training and what works part of the enjoyment? at least for me it is.

I don't consider getting coached unless there would be a situation available with almost daily face-to-face contact (which I had for years as a rower so I really can't imagine the benefit of online coaching)

In my eyes training for triathlon in somewhat personal (depending on the strength and weaknesses and durabilety) and stupidly easy. do the work and get the results. for people with very limited time it might be different as they need a lot more intensity the go anywhere but if you have 25-30 hours do 90% of them easy and 10% very hard with 1-2 key sessions in each sport.
for me an other key component is to build a network of other people to train with and in that regard it help a lot to be flexible and I belive for example doing a slightly less ideal track session (like 800m reps instead of 2k's or whatever) with other who push me is more benefitial than having someone tell me what should be perfect in theory but than having to do it alone.
+1

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply