Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Swim 'a ha' Thread
Quote | Reply
One of the aspects of swimming which has really sunk it's claws into me the past few years is the seemingly endless progression of skill acquisition which I had been reluctant to tackle for decades. I was first in line when Nerd Cards were handed out so the cerebral aspects of swimming really speak to me as much as the brutal physical demands....I thoroughly enjoy all of it. Recently I had a big bump in fly performance from something so small it was comical, but the net effect was the difference in finishing a 100 strong or riding home the last 25 with a piano on my back. Now I'm entertaining tackling the 200 at some point simply b/c of a tiny thought that triggers an entire chain of events. One goofy thought took 2.6 seconds off my 50fly pr!

So, with the endless thoughts and threads on swimming I thought it might be fun or a good idea to start a thread that has nothing but collections of 'a ha' moments that took you to the next level. I think we can safely assume swimming really really hard is a given. The effort level and consistency has to be there for performance so 'increasing from 1 1,000 yard swim a week to 3 2,000 yard swims really helped!' is kind of obvious;)

Looking forward to learning some cool stuff from some of our fishbeasts on ST. I think sometimes there are some really awesome nuggets that get lost in unrelated threads. That's my hope here is to maybe create a neat repository of tweaks that took you to the next level. Maybe this thread is a big flop, maybe it's a hit. If it helps one person say 'a ha' it's a win in my book!

Fly, back, breast, free and dolphin....let 'er rip!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Sep 12, 13 4:12
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you haven't said what yours was?
DT
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [DieTryin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieTryin' wrote:
But you haven't said what yours was?
DT

I figured I'd let someone ask b/c so few people care about fly.

Soft hand entry. When done properly it creates a nice tension through the chest/lats which can be lost if the shoulders drop at the catch. During the chest press this adds a great connection from head to toe. This greatly helps create the undulation we want, brings the hips up naturally as well. This took pressure off my kick and gave me consistent rhythm which had been like catching lightning in a bottle. Now it's there every stroke:) Soft hands means a million things to different people. So while mine may not be as soft as Phelps, it's 'softer' than it was. I just think 'soft hands' and that transformed my fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice one!
It's all about the 'a ha' not the stroke :)
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [DieTryin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieTryin' wrote:
Nice one!
It's all about the 'a ha' not the stroke :)

I guess. I mean it's not as if I'm trying to mirror some position so it's really just a thought. The reality is if you look at my stroke now vs then you'd only notice the rhythm most likely, everything else looks roughly the same more or less....that and the stopwatch stops sooner:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
and the stopwatch stops sooner:)
Yes please :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting for my "ah ha" moment.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
I'm still waiting for my "ah ha" moment.

It will happen just stay consistent with your training and put in the work and listen to some of the superfish on ST. Heck I didn't have an 'a ha' for about 15 years with freestyle...was just stuck in mind numbing suckness.... so unless you are at that point on the timeline get in line behind me;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its going to take 15 years to get my swimming "ah ha" - then I'm going to start du'ing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
If its going to take 15 years to get my swimming "ah ha" - then I'm going to start du'ing.

I'm sure it won't! There is a lot of knowledge out there just don't fight it like I did. Keep experimenting and keep swimming!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Sep 11, 13 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took 4 seconds off my best 100 time yesterday in freestyle. (From 1:29 to 1:25, so I'm slow, its ok)

Was told to visualize rolling your arm over a barrel at the start of the pull. The "feel" for the water on the pull changed dramatically, for the better I'd say.

Go Cyclones! In Hoc Signo Vinces. Twitter @Cise_Smash
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Surfinglamb on this one. I'm almost at the Tri/Du (and TT) tipping point. Everyone knows how to run and bike. It just takes time and hard work to get faster (and yes some natural ability for those at the pointy end of the race). Note that i didnt say technique. Swimming, if you didnt start at young age or havent found your "a ha" moment, is an exercise in futility, not fitness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ah-ha was all head position. If I'm looking down range towards the wall, my position is shite. If I'm staring straight down at the black line life is muuuuch better.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [teebles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teebles wrote:
My ah-ha was all head position. If I'm looking down range towards the wall, my position is shite. If I'm staring straight down at the black line life is muuuuch better.

Nice! Remember this if you tackle fly b/c it becomes even more important by a factor of about 2.3 kabiliion.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel ya it can be so frustrating. Madness in fact. The ability to do work on land and translate that level of performance to water is a very tough thing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [teebles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teebles wrote:

That's probably one of the #1 things I need to work on. Funny, when I swam competitively it was never mentioned... and became a bad habit I suppose. OF coruse they had tons of critique for my breastroke... which hte coaches quickly modified to make it like what hte top swimmers were doing. 20 years later, the fast breastrokers mostly have a flat stroke..non of that dolphin motion... like what was natural to me.

I think that's the hard thing about swimming and running, you have to decided what should be changed and what is better left "natural". Iv'e seen some really fast swimmers that didn;t look pretty above the water, but what they did under the surface is what counted.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty crappy at fly, but yeah you should lead with your head, hands should actually enter after your head. At least that's what I was told. Now, if only I could dolphin kick...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one of my big a ha's in freestyle was learning how to connect and time the catch/pull with my kick. Once I figured out how to create torque laying face down in the water I really experienced a nice drop in times. Things get tougher with less gravity and terra firma to resist against!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A big one for me was proper head position during a breath for freestyle. I read and heard forever that you want one eye in the water when you breathe. That seemed impossible. Then, this spring, during those 8-10K weeks (I know that's one workout for tigerchik) training for IMTX, something happened. I was about 2/3 through a 4K workout and suddenly it worked. I paid more attention and the "thought" was as I rotated my head to breathe, almost "tip" the top of my head deeper in the pool. BAM! Left eye underwater, ass doesn't drop, stroke keeps flowing...and I got that pesky oxygen in a solid, strong breath.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:
A big one for me was proper head position during a breath for freestyle. I read and heard forever that you want one eye in the water when you breathe. That seemed impossible. Then, this spring, during those 8-10K weeks (I know that's one workout for tigerchik) training for IMTX, something happened. I was about 2/3 through a 4K workout and suddenly it worked. I paid more attention and the "thought" was as I rotated my head to breathe, almost "tip" the top of my head deeper in the pool. BAM! Left eye underwater, ass doesn't drop, stroke keeps flowing...and I got that pesky oxygen in a solid, strong breath.

Yup it almost feels as if you are even looking out the back a bit to your 4 or 8 o'clock. Freaky what a tiny tweak to the 'bobber' will do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know if it made a difference in time, but I've had 2 moments.

the high elbow refers to the elbow position during the pull and not on recovery.

the barrel catch refers to the time period at the very end of recovery and the start of putting your hand in the water.

oh, one more: to keep elbow high, focus on keeping the pointed bone of you elbow on the top of your extended arm and not on the bottom. ie rotate your bony elbow to teh top of your extended arm. JUST found this one out.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty bad at swimming. Telling my aha moments to the fishies would be the equivalent of telling Einstein how one figured out banging rocks together makes loud noises.
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
I'm pretty bad at swimming. Telling my aha moments to the fishies would be the equivalent of telling Einstein how one figured out banging rocks together makes loud noises.

"Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts!!"

......one man's trash is another's treasure. Share it!
Quote Reply
Re: The Swim 'a ha' Thread [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:

Ditto!

I think the best swimming-related ah-ha I can offer the ST community is to serve as the poster-child for "Ah-ha! Don't swim like that guy!"

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My a-ha moment was learning that my center of buoyancy transferred to my hips by tightening my lower back, butt and hammys, thus causing my "caboose" to float to the top. ( lost the link to the video with the presenter in the rooster hat demonstrating this).
Quote Reply

Prev Next