Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Stick...
Quote | Reply
I had seen it used on the sidelines in the last few NFL playoff games.

It is like a rolling pin/massage tool, I just got one.

It is great, I'm using it on my IT band and calves right now and really can feel that it will be a good tool post workout.
You can get them at www.thesick.com
Highly recommended!

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [slammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love mine too!

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also a big fan of the stick. I consider it an upper body strength workout tool as well.

Oh, BTW, the website you referenced is actually for a rock band.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [PresbyOpie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry on the typo...

www.thestick.com I got mine from a local running store

I just worked out a knot in my shin and it is easier on my hands than trying to self massage

C'mon legs run faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one; gave it away. I went to a real wooden rolling pin. Works better for me. (Although it does look silly if you take it to a race with you.)

Azby
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [Azby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be better for baking post race cookies though...

C'mon legs run faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was using my "stick" during the Pat's game on Sunday after a between game run, while all my buddies sat around drinking beer and making fun of me. Then the screen panned to the sidelines and a close up of trainers using a stick on one of the big ole lineman's calves.

In an instant everyone decided I was only kind of insane, instead of completely whacko. Ahh, the small victories!

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome products, I have two as well as their foot wheel and trigger wheel which is a carpal tunnel life saver
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've mentioned this before... I use a thing i call 'the dowel' - it's really just a normal dowel, but i've given it a nickname.

works great.

-charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to their booth at a marathon expo and they demo-ed it on my calf. Hurt like hell; I almost kicked the dude in the junk cause he was holding my foot with his knees and wouldn't let go!

If my body isn't strong enough... I hope my wallet will be.
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [PresbyOpie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also a big fan of the stick. I consider it an upper body strength workout tool as well.[/quote]Um, yeah... just what you want... another workout.

Check out the Trigger Point Technologies Quadballer instead (http://www.tptherapy.com). All TPT stuff is designed to be used hands-free, so no extra upper body strength workout needed. Because you are using the weight of your own body (rather than your hands pushing down on a flexible plastic rod), it's going to penetrate the muscle better. It's a pretty intense feeling if you are tight, but it is amazing how quickly your muscles will respond after a few sessions.

Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used the TP Massage Ball? A buddy recommended it for self massage, similar to the Stick, and it has kept him injury free for the last year and through 2 marathons. He says it does hurt, though.
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [Hoagy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a slight biased, but yes! The ball feels like a thumb - just like a massage therapist's hands working on you if you were getting a deep tissue massage. I wouldn't call deep tissue massage 'fun,' but it is beneficial. The ball is great to get into the specific spots or places where you have knots....piriformis, back, shoulders, pecs, calves, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I noticed they sell a saddle that has the butt cut down - I bet that would help reduce my piriformis problems on long rides... gotta check that out! thanks for the link! ;-) AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I noticed they sell a saddle that has the butt cut down - I bet that would help reduce my piriformis problems on long rides... gotta check that out! thanks for the link! ;-) AP

If you do, will please review it for those of us that share the piriformis nightmare?

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I do I will. All I know is that after 5-7+hr rides, my right hip/glute is pretty damn tight. I always wondered about the width of the rear of my saddle being a possible factor. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a link to Tom's review of the saddle - plus 7 others

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/saddle06.shtml
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this thing called "The Pain Bringer"...but really it's just a wooden dowel as well.

On a side note I have a foam roller that is nice and am looking into some of the TP stuff as "The Pain Bringer" doesn't seem to get to some of the muscles that are buried, like the soleus.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [OldAndInTheWay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The pic of all the saddles lined up is quite revealing actually. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Footballer is specifically designed to get into the soleus... you WILL feel it. Same with the Quadballer. It is soft on the outside but the inside is firm (unlike your foam roller), so it's not going to compress underneath you like the foam will. You will end up being able to penetrate the muscles a lot better.
Last edited by: austin79: Jan 26, 07 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOVE mine. it has done wonders for my IT band issues.
Quote Reply
Re: The Stick... [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have an SLR on my TriBike, but in aero it pressed on my upper hams just below the glute. With my arrione on the tribike and the Blackwell Flow on my Tri bike, that is no longer an issue.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply