Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Seven Summits Project: Complete!
Quote | Reply
One of my distractions from Triathlon over the last 8 years has been helping my son, Anders climb the Seven Summits (the highest point in each of the 7 continents). He completed that Project with our whole family down in Australia on Christmas day (for the record, I only climbed 5 of them as Denali and Everest seemed a bit much for this 60+ year old). He is about the 450th person to ever do this.

It was a great day and a great eight year journey! If you're interested, here is a link to the slide show that documents that journey:

https://www.youtube.com/...0p2R94RSA&t=165s

One side effect of completing this project is that he is once again joining me in Long Course Triathlon. We are both signed up for IMFL in November. Our last race together was IM Austria back in 2008. I can't wait to get the Band back together again!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool Randy - welcome back to the Tri world!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Thanks David! I have a lot of work to do. It’s been two+ years since I trained for Tri with any real intent.....good to be back!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazingly epic! Congrats to you and your son.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats. Looks like a great experience.

Will you be adding a Kahuna Challenge this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome. I kind of lost the Everest dream once I had kids, but would still love to do Aconcagua and Denali and possibly Kilimanjaro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on making it up/down safely times 5 and 7.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to but can't figure out how to do it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which of the seven summits is in Australia? Carstenz Pyramid is the highest summit in the geographical Australian "continent", but it is on an island. Climbing six of the seven is still a great accomplishment, it takes a lot of money and time.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Jan 2, 18 20:09
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Very cool Randy - welcome back to the Tri world!

x2 on that. Thanks Randy for sharing and glad everyone made it through the summits safely! Congrats on signing up to IM Florida with your son too! For some reason, I thought you had done Denali in the past, but perhaps I am confused with another mountain.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mount Kosciuszko is the highest in the Australian continent proper. There are some who believe that Cartenz Pyramid should be counted as higher as its near Australia and should be assigned to it. The first person to climb all 7, Dick Bass considered Kozi to be the proper one, while the next guy claimed the Pyramid.

About half of the 416 people who have done this have doneone, and the other half the other, with about 30% of the total have done both and thus the “8 seven summits”. Mike Hamil, one of America’s great climbers and the guy who wrote the book: “Climbing the Seven Summits” believes that Kozi is the right 7th.

In all likelihood, at some point Anders will climb the CP, especially now that logistics are much improved for that expedition.

Having been to all of them but Denali, I can tell you the actual doing of it (for instance Everest took 55 days) is what is most impressive. I’ve done 14 IM and they are tough, but high altitude mountaineering is a beast of a different kind!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! And congrats to you Anders! Everest is incredible. And five out of seven is no small task. Congrats to you also.
I remember vividly reading your post when you and he summited Rainier.
I always say Rainier is the mountain of my life. I have backpacked the 93 mile Wonderland trail which encircles the mountain, cycled over the pass and up to Paradise and also summited.
It was a huge dream for me! I also did Kilimanjaro in 2012.

Some friends and I are looking to possible attempt a South American mountain possibly in Bolivia. Do you have any insight or recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Pat! Rainier is awesome--it's certainly the real deal. I found the Ingrahm Glacier route we took to be more than enough for me, and I know there are much harder ones. It certainly has everything there to learn the skills one needs to climb the high peaks. I've done RAMROD and would love to do Wonderland in the not too distant future.

I've not climbed in Bolivia. I can tell you that Aconcagua, which I went after twice, is a great trip. It's not a classic snow filed/ice-axe thing and would be more like Kilimanjaro than Rainier. However, at nearly 23,000 feet and almost three weeks its substantially harder. I have several videos on my Youtube page on it. It's a great climb, is well served (I especially like RMI as a guide service), and relatively reasonably priced. Mendoza and the wine regions around it are nice. Santiago is nice to visit in chile as well.

You might look at the volcanoes in Equator (Cotopaxi and Cayambe). They are similar to Rainier but much higher (over 19,000 ft) and typically, most expeditions attempt both over a 10 day period. there is pretty good infrastructure down there.

On our list to climb is:

-Cotopaxi/Cayumbe
-Peru: Alpamayo
-Cho Oyo

The later may be our next climb, as my window for attempting it is probably not too long....

All good and fun--theres nothing quite like being on a real mountaineering expedition!

rc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Mount Kosciuszko is the highest in the Australian continent proper. There are some who believe that Cartenz Pyramid should be counted as higher as its near Australia and should be assigned to it. The first person to climb all 7, Dick Bass considered Kozi to be the proper one, while the next guy claimed the Pyramid.

About half of the 416 people who have done this have doneone, and the other half the other, with about 30% of the total have done both and thus the “8 seven summits”. Mike Hamil, one of America’s great climbers and the guy who wrote the book: “Climbing the Seven Summits” believes that Kozi is the right 7th.

In all likelihood, at some point Anders will climb the CP, especially now that logistics are much improved for that expedition.

Having been to all of them but Denali, I can tell you the actual doing of it (for instance Everest took 55 days) is what is most impressive. I’ve done 14 IM and they are tough, but high altitude mountaineering is a beast of a different kind!

Awesome accomplishment!

I do find it funny though that for a tribe so beholden to geology, mountaineers have an odd sense of paying respect to the science of geology: it's pretty much orthodoxy that the island of New Guinea on which Puncak Jaya (Carstenz Pyramid) sits is part of the continent of Australia. But whaddaya gonna do - tradition is tradition and if your son would have picked CP there would probably people be sniping he didn't do the seven summits because he didn't do Kosciuszko...

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done. Cool video
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Which of the seven summits is in Australia? Carstenz Pyramid is the highest summit in the geographical Australian "continent", but it is on an island. Climbing six of the seven is still a great accomplishment, it takes a lot of money and time.

mate, if you don't have anything nice to say . . .

anyway randy, well done to you and your son. great stuff! and good to have you back!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, the debate on this topic is pretty humorous in my view, and it's often discussed by people who actually don't climb mountains.

One can make all sorts of criteria about what a continent is. Politically, of course the Carstenz Pyramid, being part of Indonesia, is in the continent of Asia.

From a tectonic plate perspective (which is I gather what you mean by "geology") it again depends on definition. There are 7 "Major" plates, which geologists define as being bigger than 20MM square Kilometers. Both Kozi and the Pyramid reside on what is know as the Indo-Australian Plate, which is comprised of two sub plates--that which contains Australia and the other that contains India. In this respect both the Pyramid and Kozi are part of Indo-Australia, but then so is India (even though most people say its the Asian sub-continent)

The Australian Plate itself is major. Technically, from a Geologic perspective, the Pyramid sits on the adjacent Maoke micro-plate, which is not physically connected to the Australian Plate but most people group the Maoke Microplate and six other Microplates with the Australia Plate.

Some folks, because the Pyramid resides (politically) in Asia, say Mount Cook in New Zealand is actually the highest in the Australian continent, as it sits on the New Zealand south island. Others dispute the boundary between Europe and Asia and consider Mount Blanc the highest in Europe and not Elbrus--so if you really want to be a nudge, you could say that Anders climbed only 5 of the 7.

Further, one could claim that there really are only six "Seven Summits" since the division between Europe and Asia is arbitrary as they are one continuous landmass.

------

Anyways, I guess its more about mountaineering tradition than what arm-chair, "horizontal" critics think. By tradition there are a group of folks who subscribe to the Bass definition and another group who subscribe to the Messner definition. Some folks feel they need to climb 8 so they don't have to deal with debates like this. others feel different variations than these are the correct list (these are usually the people who did that particular list first or who want it to be more exclusive).

FWIW, my son is very comfortable with the original definition (as am I) and find it amusing when you get little comments like Tri-Yoda's comment. It reminds me of some of the debates about whether or not Kona is really the world championship.

There are lots of haters out there who try to tear things down. I think its all great--people do some pretty amazing things (and my son surely did) and we ultimately should rejoice in it and use it as inspiration...Just my opinion. I do know what he did is pretty amazing and most of his high altitude mountaineering peers and friends (including the late great Ueli Stick who he talked to about this topic) consider those who climb the 7 my son climbed to be part of that small group who have climbed the Seven Summits....and that's good enough for me as well!

Last edited by: rcmioga: Jan 3, 18 8:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wholeheartedly will admit being seated in an armchair firmly planted on the horizontal :-D

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Jan 3, 18 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow cool - I still remember your Mt. Ranier post which has made me want to do it for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the suggestions and tips. Ecuador is definitely a possibility and I will have to check out Aconcagua. And I agree that nothing beats a true mountaineering experience!

I know it is not very high but we are looking at Mt. Hood this spring/summer. It definitely gets in the blood!
All the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello rcmioga and All,

Holy Crap!! Fantastic!! Awesome!!

Congratulation to you and your son.

I have summited Mt. Rainier, Mt. Whitney 2x, and White Mountain 2x (almost as high as Mt Whitney but with an easy road to the top) but certainly not in the same league as your climbing.

I think many of us dream of doing what you have done ......

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unbelievable would be an understatement! Congratulations to you and your son. And glad you all came back safe and sound.

Mountaineering, let alone high altitude mountaineering, is a very high risk sport.

To the other question regarding climbing in Bolivia - I went up the Pequeno Alpamayo - normal and direct route (i believe SW wall). 2 - 4 pitches of steep climbing. Unfortunately, no possibility for protection though... There is also Ilimani and the like (but havent been on it). In Ecuador, Cotopaxi is a classic. Also Iliniza Sur had a nice technical direct route. And there is Cayembe and Chimborazo (both i tried without summiting due to weather constraints). Plenty of beautiful mountains and beautiful routes to explore.

On a philosophical note - how many attributes of success do you think cross over between mountaineering and triathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: The Seven Summits Project: Complete! [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
rcmioga wrote:

Awesome accomplishment!

I do find it funny though that for a tribe so beholden to geology, mountaineers have an odd sense of paying respect to the science of geology: it's pretty much orthodoxy that the island of New Guinea on which Puncak Jaya (Carstenz Pyramid) sits is part of the continent of Australia. But whaddaya gonna do - tradition is tradition and if your son would have picked CP there would probably people be sniping he didn't do the seven summits because he didn't do Kosciuszko...

Carstenz Pyramid is arguably the hardest (most technical difficulty, access was/is extremely difficult compared to other peaks) of the 7 summits, Kosciuszko is by far the easiest, so there is a pretty major difference. Since Kosciusko is basically a gimme and because based on formal definitions it is not a "continental" high point, I don't think anyone would challenge a seven summits list that include Carstenz.

Mountaineers are very detail oriented, so they would not ignore the technicalities of geology which assign New Guinea to part of Australia. The point of doing the seven summits is it is difficult, so taking a very difficult peak and substituting a very easy one is counter to the whole point. New Guinea is a very "exotic" place, perhaps the wildest location of all seven, or at least on par with the other six. Kosciuszko just seems like it doesn't belong on the list for any number of ascetic reasons, including it is a day hike and all the others are rarely done as less than some kind of expedition (at least a couple of days; Kili and Elbrus are done in a day, but this is very rare).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Yoda: everyone is welcome to form their own opinion on anything so go right ahead. My opinion on you is you seem to be a person who has trouble finding joy in life and I hope you are able to find peace in some way as you get older.

I prefer also that you not darken this thread with any more comments.

rc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Tri Yoda: everyone is welcome to form their own opinion on anything so go right ahead. My opinion on you is you seem to be a person who has trouble finding joy in life and I hope you are able to find peace in some way as you get older.

I prefer also that you not darken this thread with any more comments.

rc

You seem to be awfully defensive about this. Do you have any comment on the claims tri_yoda is making about the difference in difficulty or are you just brushing that off?

Edit: Now that I bothered to wiki it, I think it makes a lot of sense now:

Mount Kosciuszko: 2,228 m (7,310 ft)
Carstensz Pyramid: 4,884 m (16,024 ft)

[none of the other Seven Summits are apparently less than 16k ft.]
Last edited by: aravilare: Jan 4, 18 5:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next