Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Real Snow Conditions right Now in Lake Placid
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, after yesterday's huge meltdown, what are the ski conditions like in Lake Placid. I'm supposed to head there tomorrow with my family for a weekend of cross country skiing. Cascade and Mt Van say they have 1-2 feet of base. While I believe that, I am sure there are places where rocks are exposed. No big deal, but I am hoping they can grind the snow up so that we are skiing on corn snow. I'm literally willing to ski on blue ice (its sooooo fast)...but my wife and son will want nicer conditions. If it is looking really bad, we might save our money and bail on the trip. My preference is to go. Anyone know if the speedskating oval will be open too?

Please post.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Snow Conditions right Now in Lake Placid [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Snow Conditions right Now in Lake Placid [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Winter's officially over! Although, It's supposed to snow here in the Toronto area today.

Another hour on the rollers last night!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know about L.P. but I went x-country skiing yesterday for what will likely be the last time this year. The snow on the trails is starting to disappear rapidly.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Snow Conditions right Now in Lake Placid [vo2maxed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The orda webcam is somewhat useless. It shows the flat stadium area at Mt Van. This location is surrounded by trees and is not windblown. It also is flat and no rocks are ever exposed. I'd like to know how some of the steeper south facing sun drenched pitches are holding out.

Fleck, there is still a few more weeks of winter where we live. Pics from yesterday:

http://www.xcottawa.ca/...41e36882e7f0a89b718e

Wayne Dustin's report from this morning's ski and other reports from this week:

http://www.xcottawa.ca/...41e36882e7f0a89b718e
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev;

I'm probably heading over to Salmon Hills this weekend (Saturday morning for sure) . About 3 hours from Ottawa. 36"-60" base!!!
http://www.salmonhills.com/conditions.htm

Meet you there. No Rock Skis Required!! I'll even use my brand new RCS' :-)

T
Last edited by: Trevor S: Mar 15, 07 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Snow Conditions right Now in Lake Placid [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They ended up with 16 inches of new powder here in LP over the past 24hours. The guys at Mt VanH did a bang up job grooming and regrooming and regrooming. They have over 2 feet of packed base. Even yesterday before all the snow, they still have over 18 inches of packed base. I have to say, the hills here feel a lot "flatter" at training intensities. I've never trained, here, just raced on the ski trails, and they feel a lot tougher at race pace, cause you typically enter each climb already close to your redline, vs training, where you enter each climb with 30-40 bpm of headroom!

Anyway, I did around 30K last nite and another 45K today (30 solo, 15 with my son). My legs are totally cooked...we are now sitting by a fire and I am dreading the thought of heading out for a silly 30 min run to try to make is 86 days of running in a row...this is the price I pay for sleeping in and killing my early morning window of opportunity for running.
Quote Reply