Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast
Quote | Reply
I am a little surprised this hasn't been posted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/business/the-firm-that-grew-too-fast.html

While not mentioned in the article, WTC was purchased at a time when other bad purchases were made.

"He acknowledged that the firm made too many investments at precisely the wrong time, in 2007 and 2008, just as the private equity boom was cresting."
Quote Reply
Re: The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They made a lot of bad investments. It's a pretty common story: a PE firm does well initially and thinks they have the magic touch, so they raise much bigger funds, get sloppier in their investments, and end up taking a bath.

It does't mean that all of their investments go south. WTC was a good one for them. However, there are companies like Nextag where they paid a premium right at the peak for a company that was maxed out and had high external risk factors (regulatory and platform).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
WTC was a good one for them.

How do you know that?
Quote Reply
Re: The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No internal knowledge, but looking at the growth that WTC has seen I'd gather that it's doing well. It's been bantered around what they may do for an exit, but right now they are probably happy with the FCF.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Apr 24, 15 15:03
Quote Reply
Re: The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree, impossible to tell with a PE, correct?
Quote Reply
Re: The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we would love to hear h2ofun's ramblings on this subject.
Quote Reply
Re: The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
No internal knowledge, but looking at the growth that WTC has seen I'd gather that it's doing well. It's been bantered around what they may do for an exit, but right now they are probably happy with the FCF.

They also took out a $220mm dividend recap last year. Purchase price was never disclosed so who knows what their real basis and IRR are.
Quote Reply
Re: The Private Equity Firm That Grew Too Fast [75000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75000 wrote:
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we would love to hear h2ofun's ramblings on this subject.

He's currently running a 3 min mile thanks to powercranks.