Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS
Quote | Reply
Figured it was time to retire the Classics thread and start a fresh one for the Giro.

Some house keeping from the other thread....

McNulty posted this link for those looking for viewing options in the US.

http://www.steephill.tv/2016/giro-d-italia/usa-live-video-note.html

ChrisC42780 created a league over on Velogames

League Name: Slowtwitch
League Code: 04163558

I'm going with Majka for the breakthrough win, Nibali in 2nd and Valverde to round out the podium.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so i can't seem to find a TV listing for the Giro in the US. how are people watching it here? live streaming I suppose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless Nibali is off form or has bad luck, I'm not sure who can take him. He has home field advantage, is cagey and most of all, knows how to manage a GT. Landa will be formidable in the mountains but he hasn't had the weight of leadership on him.

Nibali, Valverde, Landa. Majka for KOM.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Unless Nibali is off form or has bad luck, I'm not sure who can take him. He has home field advantage, is cagey and most of all, knows how to manage a GT. Landa will be formidable in the mountains but he hasn't had the weight of leadership on him.

I know, I can't believe I'm not picking Nibali....but what the hell. I'm going with "something" happening to him....bad day, mechanical, crash, strategy error....something. 'Cuz otherwise, you are right...it should be a relative layup for him.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Land beat the hell out of him at Giro del Trentino a couple weeks ago. Also he's got Nieve as domestique, Henao... Although Nibali's got Fulgslang and a better TT strength, I don't think it's going to be enough.
Question is how much will Landa loose on TT and if he'll make it up on the mountains, which he's got plenty, even a MTT.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [elcartelduco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but not the same as a the third week of a GT. Nibali always seems to look lousy heading into GTs and then lights it up. The bigger fight might be after he wins the Giro and then wants shared leadership in an attempt to do the TdF double.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
so i can't seem to find a TV listing for the Giro in the US. how are people watching it here? live streaming I suppose?

I've been watching a lot of stages for other races on YouTube. Usually a few hours after the stage ends it'll be uploaded.
Last edited by: Tifosi01: May 4, 16 20:21
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [elcartelduco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elcartelduco wrote:
Land beat the hell out of him at Giro del Trentino a couple weeks ago. Also he's got Nieve as domestique, Henao... Although Nibali's got Fulgslang and a better TT strength, I don't think it's going to be enough.
Question is how much will Landa loose on TT and if he'll make it up on the mountains, which he's got plenty, even a MTT.

Nibali gives less than zero shits about the Giro del Trentino. He's going to be ready, always is.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
True, but not the same as a the third week of a GT. Nibali always seems to look lousy heading into GTs and then lights it up. The bigger fight might be after he wins the Giro and then wants shared leadership in an attempt to do the TdF double.

I don't think Nibali has any illusions about the Tour anymore (hence his focus on the Giro this year). He had a perfect storm two years ago with great form, an early course profile that suited him and his major rivals crashing out. I think he knows that, in July, he can't match Froome or Contador when they are on form.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And watch out for Ilnur Zakarin. This guy is a beast. Horrible riding style but fun to watch. You will never know when he attacks and he rides with plenty cojones.

Unfortunaly I don't like him too much as he was caught with PD before he even turned 20.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Figured it was time to retire the Classics thread and start a fresh one for the Giro.

Some house keeping from the other thread....

McNulty posted this link for those looking for viewing options in the US.

http://www.steephill.tv/2016/giro-d-italia/usa-live-video-note.html

ChrisC42780 created a league over on Velogames

League Name: Slowtwitch
League Code: 04163558

I'm going with Majka for the breakthrough win, Nibali in 2nd and Valverde to round out the podium.

I think Uran is ready to win a Grand Tour, he is a climber, has improved in TTs, and will do well if the Cannondale squad gives him strong support.
Nibili, Landa, Majka, and Valverde will round out the top 5

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't followed cycling as closely over last few years. I remember when Giro seemed to have a lot of very very tough days. Is that still the case, or have they created more reasonable stages? I cant remember was it 2 years ago some complaints on the conditions. Cant remember if it was the cold/altitude/snow or the duration or number of mt top finishes. Or may have just mis remembered. Always thought the Giro seemed to be a "tougher" race but the Tour just has that clout of being the hardest or maybe just most popular endurance event.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I agree he can't win it. But if he bags the Giro, I can't see him not taking a shot, just in case the stars align again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Oh, I agree he can't win it. But if he bags the Giro, I can't see him not taking a shot, just in case the stars align again

Or maybe he saves himself for Rio at that point?

Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
Haven't followed cycling as closely over last few years. I remember when Giro seemed to have a lot of very very tough days. Is that still the case, or have they created more reasonable stages? I cant remember was it 2 years ago some complaints on the conditions. Cant remember if it was the cold/altitude/snow or the duration or number of mt top finishes. Or may have just mis remembered. Always thought the Giro seemed to be a "tougher" race but the Tour just has that clout of being the hardest or maybe just most popular endurance event.

I think the Tour is known for being "The Tour", the Giro is known for its variety, unpredictability and bad weather and the Vuelta is known for having the toughest, hottest, climbiest routes around.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

I'm going with

Uran, Landa, Valverde,
Nibali and Doumoulin as outsiders
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have put faith in Uran to do something too many times for him to fail spectacularly at some point to have any confidence in him any more.

Podium:
Nibali, Valverde, Majka

Outsiders:
Landa, Ryder, and I think Betancur will have a bounce-back showing even in a support role
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
And watch out for Ilnur Zakarin. This guy is a beast. Horrible riding style but fun to watch. You will never know when he attacks and he rides with plenty cojones.

Unfortunaly I don't like him too much as he was caught with PD before he even turned 20.

I think his cojones may have fallen completely off from roids. Used em to get strong, used em to get light. There is little doubt. But he's not alone.

I went ahead and picked a team and I won't win bc I've picked clean, or at least unbusted or less suspect riders. So no Zacharin or Valverde or Nibs. Nibs may be racing clean now, but his team should have been banned last year. Same with Astana.

I'm just not believing much of anything when it comes to the Giro. I'll add to the rant, but I have visions of Astana having 4 unknowns smashing the best climbers in the world, Katusha is always suspect, etc. I don't think it's a tightly run ship, the Giro. Crazy fun but that field will not be in compliance, so to speak.

Go Cannondale?
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or alternatively, Giant-Alpecin

no one has mentioned mega-watt smile Estaban Chavez yet. I'd think he can do some serious damage
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just made a team, really excited to watch this one unfold. Would love to see Chaves put in a big ride, really easy to cheer for OGE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nibali, Landa, Uran

Dumoulin and Valverde for WC

Ryder for a top 6 because I'm Canadian and i hope Orica do well because I love backstage pass
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Sanny87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumoulin to be in Pink; Cancellara tweede; van Emden driede
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shut your whore mouth!

Fabian
Tom
Whoever

:D

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody else sign up for FuboTV and watch the Prologue? Video quality was excellent. However, I am either missing something or you can only watch live (DVR function only works for soccer matches).
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
general question, anyone know how i can record stages from what's streaming online? i would assume it could be done...
Quote Reply

Prev Next