Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC
Quote | Reply
Much to my surprise, the DC triathlon is on! The e-mail came out late last night. Until Thursday registration is open to those who preregistered and then if spots are available the general public.

There have been some course changes but they were able to get the race approved.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it is a nice race, but $175 for a "long sprint" is too much for my budget--- I can do 2-3 other races for that price.

With that said-- I hope the turnout is good-- and everything goes off without a hitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't gotten the email (Lord knows how much of their previous email I've received). As said, $175 is a bunch for a first time, long sprint triathlon. Nevertheless, I think the kids will like it, and it's an excuse to visit DC. With the new bike course, is a 53/39, 12-21 sufficient? Seems like the hills are gone. Does it still go through the Zoo?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken,

Yes, it is an expensive race. Especially for a first time endeavor, but I can't fathom how much it must be costing to get these roads closed to run the race. That is as incredible accomplishment.

Most of the ride follows my bike commute and you are right the hills are gone (here is only one small "hill" at the turn around) and it no longer goes through the zoo. A 53/39 12-21 will be fine on this and I wouldn't imagine you coming out of the big ring on most of the route. My biggest concern would be a 2 loop course with 1500 -1750 people (if it fills) will make it a very difficult ride to keep drafting free. Here is an image of the new bike route:

I also g-mapped the route (as best as I could figure) and it can be found here:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=365921

The route is pretty flat.

I can't figure out exactly where they are planning to put a transition zone that will handle 1750 bikes or how they intend to find parking for that many people either, but they must have it worked out. I hope to see you down here in DC.

Don B
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ran the gmap pedometer for the course, and the highest point is 50 feet, with the lowest at 7 feet. I think you would be fine with that setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree. $175 for a long sprint may have to make me pass on this one. I preregistered but I can't afford that for such short event. That is almost the cost for a half ironman. Oh well, we'll see. I guess I still have a few days to decide.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello. My name is Charles Brodsky. I'm the founder of The Nation's Triathlon. I'm thankful that follks are talking about the event and wanted to chip in and say hello and offer some info on the event.

I appreciate having read all of your comments and thoughts about the race. Just to make sure you all know we lengthened the course to 1.5k 32k 10k so its more along the lines of an Olympic distance. And yes, this thing is massively expensive to produce hence the cost. We believe though that the race is comparable to other big city races like the NYC Tri or Escape from Alcatraz in SF. The route is spectacular and I'll paste below my standard verbage on it. I just wanted to say hello and say that if anyone has any questions about the event pls feel free to call me at 202 257-3472 or email me at cbrodsky@thenationstriathlon.com. We have a policy of providing a tent (10x10) at the finish line to any tri club that has members in the race. Pls pass that message to your tri club. Hope to see you at the starting line!

"On September 16th, 2006 we will acheive triathlon history. For the first time triathletes will compete in a USAT sanctioned race in Washington, DC. The The Nation's Triathlon course is spectacular. The swim begins with a jump from the swim platform of the SS Potomac Belle into the Potomac River at beautiful Washington Harbor. The bike section is a two loop tour of DC from Rock Creek Park through downtown DC and to the Capitol. The run section passes the Kennedy Center, Jefferson Memorial and the Tidal Basin. The finish line is on the grounds of - and the foot of - the Washington Monument. Every road will be closed by Metro DC Police and US Park Police specifically for the event. Packet pickup will take place at the transition area Friday, September 15th from 8am - Midnight. The transition area is located at Thompsons Boat Center 2900 Virginia Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20037. Look for the large white tent. No packets distributed on race day! Bikes can be racked starting Friday at 10am until midnight. it will remain guarded all night. The TA then re-opens Saturday morning at 5am. Race starts at 7am. Walk time from transition area to swim start: approximately 4 minutes. To register for The Nation'sTriathlon http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1351002. Please check the website for additional updates http://thenationstriathlon.com."
Last edited by: cbrodsky: Aug 23, 06 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [cbrodsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would be great to do. But $175 seems close very expensive. Just about the cost of a Half Ironman. Even if you look at other big city Olympic distance tris, though expensive, the cost seems to be less. What is so different about D.C. that the cost of this event is so high?

http://iron-boom.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [ironboom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But $175 seems close very expensive. Just about the cost of a Half Ironman.

Just about the cost of a half? I've only ever done one half (Ralph's) that was that much money. I'd bet that it costs more to close these roads then it does in LA or NYC.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess would be the amount of red tape required to get through to get this thing going. DC has to be the most difficult city in the country to get anything done in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What is so different about D.C. that the cost of this event is so high?"

Living here....?

Lauren
(about 20 minutes from the race in no traffic
...about 2 hrs from the race in rush hour.)

PS: Thanks to the RD for checking in...
maybe he can discuss why it's such an expensive race.

I think, honestly, that it's simply expensive to get anything done here so the race is high to cover fees; paying for lobbyists, paying off Congress, having a decent road paved in the District, etc.

Kidding on part on that.

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to give Charles some credit on even getting the race through. I'm sure it was a logistical nightmare to get all of the permits.

In the end, we did get a 1.5k swim and a 32K bike and a 10K run!!! Go Charles!!!

$175, eh... I think we've all see worse... NYC Tri I paid nearly twice that to race....

See you all in the Potomac!!!

~dajeeman

"Where is your left foot? Yes!! On your left leg! Now make it kick!!!" ~ (Doug Stern @ Columbia Prep School Pool)
Last edited by: dajeeman: Aug 23, 06 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They may say the water is ok, but it is still the Potomac. For anyone who did the Nations Marathon last March, they were encouraging us to pee in the Potomac to speed up the porta-potty lines. Enjoy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most races deal with county and parks hopefully in the same place.

In DC you have federal parks and rec, dc parks and rec. DC police, probably a federal police force or two. Add in dc highway department and federal highway department.

DC public safety and federal public safety. If it goes on DOD property, then you have to deal with the DOD's own special police force, DOD's own safety and helth too.

As a mid level bureaucrat I would not want to be the guy trying to get this done.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an FYI, the RD posted the following reply on the DC Tri Club forum a while back regarding the reasons behind the entry fee. Bottom line, Kevin had it right on:

"First, the cost of "inner city" races is simply more expensive than ones that take place outside city centers and DC is a really expensive place to do business. For example the National Marathon saw their costs triple from the estimate for police asisstance in the day before the race. In fact it cost about $750,000 for them to produce that event and the city in the end had to bail them out big tme. Again, DC is a super expensive place to do business. We will have to placate The National Park Police, Secret Service, Capitol Police, DC Metro Police, Transit Police, EMS, City Sanitation, and others. Second are the costs for barricade rentals, porta-johns, electronic signs posting information for motorists, event signage, food for everyone, swim caps, race shirts, medals and trophy's, volunteer shirts and hats, hotel space rental for registration, bike rack rental, race director fees, timing company costs, advertising costs, PA system rental, and scaffolding erection and rental so we can get out of the Potomac River without touching the bottom. Third is the fact that in a first year event we have no sponsors at all. All of the funding for the event comes from race fees and to the extent we fall short then I have to personally cover the costs. Fifth I've had to hire a professional lobbying firm to help us get approval from The National Park Service. That alone is a pretty expensive proposition for which I am coming out of pocket without any assurance that we will even get them to approve the race."
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [RoadWarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello again. This is Chuck from The Nation's Triathlon. Wanted to spend a few sentences talking about water quaility and water safety in the Potomac. I've gotten lots-o-questions about it. Water quality and safety is very, very important to me as the Race Owner as well as a fellow competitor. Here's what we are doing.

We track 6 data points on water quality: turbidity, ph balance, temperature, water flow, guage height and bacterial levels. The first 5 of these are kept by the EPA. The last are tests we are paying for and have been doing so for some time. I am happy to say that so far the test indicate that water quality in the middle Potomac far exceeds EPA requirements for Class A use (swimming). In fact the water quality is better in the middle Potomac than at some beaches people are swimming at this summer. The first 5 data points we are tracking from as far away as West Virginia. Changes in any of these indicators there ultimately show up in the middle Potomac so they are a good barometer for us to watch.

The swim course will be lined with Kayakers supported by 6 powered EMS craft manned by police and EMS units. The swim is in a tightly controlled space that's been closed by the Harbor Police. EMS personnel are at the swim exit ready to assist.

River water quality in inner-city triathlons is always a day-day affair. We will make a decision on race morning as to the state of the river and its safety. We are of course hopeful that things will turn out ok but a heavy rainfall or some other unforseen occurence could derail the swim. In that event you will be participating in the inaugural Duathlon.

Thanks again for all your support. Please call me or email with any questions. 202 257-3472. cbrodsky@thenationstriathlon.com
Last edited by: cbrodsky: Aug 24, 06 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to add that for those thinking about signing up and bringing the family, the Kennedy Center is having its open house arts festival in the afternoon (Sep 16th). That is a lot of fun for families.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC [kkl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, do I really want to fork over $175 to bike past my house and office? It would be nice to bike down Connecticut Ave without the constant threat of being run over (again)...
Quote Reply