Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link)
Quote | Reply
We've always been concerned about how few of our customers know how to change a flat tire. We teach classes here at the bike shop but there has not been a good, visual, step-by-step on line resource for changing a flat tire on the road.

Fell free to link away and post on forums, news letters, your club site- copy and paste if you are adverse to the references to our store on our website. While we are certainly here to selll stuff to fix flats we are also concerned about getting everybody empowered to learn this skill and be self sufficient. Please make use of this resource and feel free to comment on it.

About two weeks ago we started working on producing an on line resource that everyone could use to learn how to change a flat tire on the road and become more self sufficient. This is a key skill for a road rider and one every cyclist should master.

This was actually one of the toughest little projects I've done in a long time and took three people a full week to complete. Here it is, Learn to fix a flat tire on your own:

https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...ix_a_flat_tire.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Oct 12, 07 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job. I'd tell them you're laying the bike on the left side so you don't hit the derailuer on the ground. Without that people may wonder why and not care how they lay their bike. I always tell people to have a presta-schrader adapter with them. It makes it easier if you didn't change your pump head, or you use a gas station air hose.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uh, tom?

major oversight.

any reason you did not include the regular, manly, and luddite way of re-filling your tires? you know, with one of those ancient things, a portable bike pump?

what is the world coming to, now that people use CO2 cartridges in training? you know what happens if you do everything tom says here to fix your tires, but mess up a little on the CO2 re-fill?

you'll still have a flat tire. and there will nothing you can do about it.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: GregX: Oct 12, 07 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good insight: We did debate including an addendum or alternate step that even discussed pump vs. CO2. We canned it when we looked at how few pumps we sell compared to CO2's. It is literally 20 to 1 in our store; advantage co2 inflators.

Frankly, we figured very few people are carrying pumps anymore. Maybe due to size and the amount of time it takes to inflate the tire. Also, it has been darn hard to find a proper compact pump you can carry that makes it to full pressure.

Ever since the Zefal HP and Silca Track Pump disappeared the compact pumps have... kinda sucked.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. Thats a great learning article for the ladies.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I am getting is the dreaded 404..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I have been fortunate for the last 2 years in that I have not flatted on the road. The only times I have flatted have been on the trainer after rides on Hines Drive, weird how that happens. My point is that I have been home at those times and have reinflated with my floor pump.

My question is this. Is there a life span on the CO2 cartridges? I have literally had the same one in my bike case for 2 1/2 years now. It occurred to me this past June (and then I promptly forgot to ask) that maybe it had lost pressure, but I wouldn't know how to tell. Any insight?

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Any chance of a tubular version?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply] We canned it when we looked at how few pumps we sell compared to CO2's. It is literally 20 to 1 in our store; advantage co2 inflators.

Frankly, we figured very few people are carrying pumps anymore. Ever since the Zefal HP and Silca Track Pump disappeared the compact pumps have... kinda sucked.[/reply]

If that's true that's a bit scary from an enviro stand point, I find a very small pump in the back pocket is much easier. Maybe this is a US thing, cause up here in Canada we carry pumps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While that may be the most important racing technical skill someone should learn it seems to me the most important technical skill someone should learn is an emergency stop.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, Frank, I've gotta agree with you on this one. I'd think skills like "steering" and "not hitting parked cars" would rate above fixing a flat on my list.

Still, it's a nice feature by Tom. I'm pleased to see it.

-Brian
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Judging by your username (and your preperation), I would guess you wouldn't end up in this bind, but in case you didn't know, you can use the plastic valve-cap on your tubes for a makeshift presta-schrader adapter. You just have to find some way to cut (or chew) the top half of the cap off, and it works most of the time.

Sorry if you already knew this,
Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link doesn't work. It's just a link to a picture and instructions of Vittoria Pit stop right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article, thanks for sharing the information!
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [brburns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I didn't know that. That's a good tip.

Now, when my friends get a flat and want to borrow my adapter I can tell them to chew the end off their stem cap. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good insight: We did debate including an addendum or alternate step that even discussed pump vs. CO2. We canned it when we looked at how few pumps we sell compared to CO2's. It is literally 20 to 1 in our store; advantage co2 inflators.

Frankly, we figured very few people are carrying pumps anymore. Maybe due to size and the amount of time it takes to inflate the tire. Also, it has been darn hard to find a proper compact pump you can carry that makes it to full pressure.

Ever since the Zefal HP and Silca Track Pump disappeared the compact pumps have... kinda sucked.

Well,
maybe the mini-pumps you have tried or are allowed to distribute, sucked. Mine does its job. And I have to help plenty of those guys out who "blew their CO2" without results.
And regarding suck:
I am not gonna suck up to you regarding the CO2 cartridge issue:
Actually putting so little thought into it (despite "debating it") kind of reflects how larger bike shops care about the environment nowadays: Not at all.

Another thing that really pisses me off too: Everybody leaves his trash (old tube, package, empty CO2) just at the side of the road when they have changed their flat. "Pack in and carry out" is a foreign language to a lot of cyclists.

Out in the countryside I actually started asking them to show me the dispensed cartridge(s). If they can't produce, they get no help.

I don't support pigs who trash the environment.

But I guess I am just not "getting it", and constructive criticism is "bitchin"....

Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep... I usually just go get a sandwich, and let them fend for themselves ;).

-Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done.

I tried to fix a flat a few years ago. It was a really tight-on tire. I had no idea what I was doing. It took three hours, I really hurt my hands, and when I got the replacement on there I had punctured it in the process and was back to fucking square one.

From now on my flat fix is called Vittoria Pit Stop.

And second the call for one on Tubulars.
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try this link Dave. It has been working so far...

https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...ix_a_flat_tire.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [de-tri-mental] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might not have made it to this part of the article:

Step 19: Police the area and secure your spare parts: Don't litter! Re-install your bike bag.
  • Pick up your tools and flat inner tube.

• Re-Pack your bag and strap it back under you saddle. Be sure your straps are secure.

• Re-check the area for trash. Don't leave anything behind!
TIP
If you pack you bag correctly uisng the inner tube as filler material it will prevent the tools from rattling inside the bag when you ride. Step 20: Be sure traffic is clear and get back on the road! You're done!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
Just a suggestion, since someone else already mentioned it, but since these tips are equally useful for fixing or changing a flat in your garage, I'd go ahead and add the tire pump part. Most people, if they are doing this at home, I would imagine use a floor pump, or a portable pump.

Not everyone has to change flats out on the road.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're hearing more of that here than we did in the store.

I'm starting to think you're right. The fellow who made the comments about the environment got me thinking- he has a point and you do too.

OK. Done. We'll add the pump addendum. Monday.

Thank you guys.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned to a lbs owner that one of the best things he could do for newbie riders is to sell them their bikes with flats, and teach them to change them before letting them out the door. He said he wanted to keep the bike buying experience positive, and I understand that, but am always amazed at the lack of a simple display with the carry on the road basics of flat repair. Seems like a simple add on sale.

Thanks for the article. I'll pass it along as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good inclusion about the littering.

but related to the pump issue, seriously, tom, have you ever considered, for the good of the environment, to go and actively LOOK for great portable bike pumps (trust me, they're out there, if you are at a loss i can educate you) and, as an expert retailer with tons of experience, actively promote and sell those to people needing to do on-the-road repairs, and sell the disposable, basically one-use CO2 cartridges as race-day only items?

it may mean a tiny bit less profit for you, but wouldn't it be the right thing to do? i guess it all comes down to if any of us (me included) walk the talk. is the future important to us? and do we bend over backwards to do what it takes?

(on a perhaps somewhat related topic, you may want to look at my post #24 in this thread:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#1520226 )

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: The Most Important Technical Skill You Can Learn (link) [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've bought and tried Serfas, Blackburn, ToPeak, Park, Rav-X and the rest I can't recall off the top of my head. Most work sort of OK, you can get up to about 110 psi but it is a lot of work.

I couldn't picture a small rider trying to pump up a flat if it were cold and raining out. That would be awful.

If you have pump suggestions lay them on me.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next