Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions.
Quote | Reply
Here's the outlook for this weekend:

The Ann Arbor Triathlon is scheduled to be changed to a duathlon as a result of beach closures. See this resource for current information:

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/...1400&Tab=Closure

The regional weather forecast relevant to other events:

http://www.weather.com/...36hr_topnav_business

Based on what we've seen from weather.com, Wasthenaw County, NOAA and additional weather sources, the following information applies to the region of operations that is Southeast Michigan for the period beginning Friday, 8 June, 2007 10:25 hr.s Local until approximately Sunday, 9 June, 2007:

High winds and thunder storms developing over the region.

NOAA and other sources report a trend over the previous days of water temps warming in Lake Erie, especially western Lake Erie, the area where the Race for Recovery will be conducted. Due to the changing conditions, additional predicitions for this area cannot be made at this time.

Basically, we are looing good for the Monroe area Race for Recovery, and the Ann Arbor Triathlon has been changed to a run/bike/run duathlon format.

Details updated as they become available.

Please exercise caution through the weekend when on the water due to the forecast of thunderstorms and do monitor your preferred weather forecasting outlet for updates.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
One More [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Lake Macatawa Triathlon on the west side is officially back on as the beach was reopened yesterday. Weather looks perfect.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: One More [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is excellent news.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...as the beach was reopened yesterday."

indeed it is open again. what great fortune for the race.

that said...Dunton Park's waterfront has been closed by Ottawa County for total body contact due to contamination, by my count, for 256 days since last year's event. the longest period of the waterfront there being open following the 2006 event without a closure order appears to be the months of November and December. that would surely set my mind to rest.

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/...=772&Tab=Closure

have a great race.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Last edited by: Jim Mishler: Jun 8, 07 8:12
Quote Reply
Re: One More [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not really undertanding the information on the site. It says it is tested once per week during the swim season, yet it shows a closure on 1/1/2007 and and end of closure in October. I'm pretty sure it didn't test high for bacteria on January 1st.

Thom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are a number of related questions here...

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checking the web it looks like the beach is open again, though with T-Rain today will it be safe again Sunday?

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/...&Tab=TestResults

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I am spoiled racing out west. These type of questions have never come up for any race I have ever done.
The worst we get is the water over 78. Everytime I read these I go man, even if it were "good" for a day, would
I really want to swim in it?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [gavnunns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. We are, at this time, erring on the side of caution. We need to be certain the conditions are appropriate. As soon as/if we do have official confirmation that the beach has passed all tests, we will open the swim and return to a triathlon format.

A phone conversation I had 7 minutes ago with Race Director Jim Donaldson mentioned that the possibility still exists that the status of the water may change for the better. However, we do want to proceed with caution here in strict compliance with what the county is telling us.

As I mentioned earlier, updates will be forthcoming throughout the day, and posted here as they become available.

During the conversation with Jim Donaldson we did discuss and review the contingency for the duathlon with the specifics of the wave starts and the first run course itself. Those details will be put into place pending any change of the water conditions if applicable.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean, lake swimming here is easy but I'd take 6 foot breakers at a ocean swim over being sick from bacteria. Plus its fun watching all the land locked athletes struggling though the waves as you body surf past them ;)

Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth....The test results from Wednesday are up now and the beach/lake has been re-opened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the updates Tom.

If a duathlon format will there still be wave starts, On one side I much prefer mass starts with Duathlons as I'm usual out front with a clear road on the bike, but with several hundred possibly all doing the Duathlon it could get very busy and unsafe on the roads.

What ever is decided I'm sure its going to be a lot of Fun and as always a well run race. My parents are visiting from England so it will be a first time they have seen a Triathlon/Duathlon and the first time seeing me race :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom ,

Not sure I understand. Even though the DEQ test have come back saying Halfmoon beach is okay it still may be a duathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need to be certain on this. We're currently waiting for verification of the status of the water.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tom ,

Not sure I understand. Even though the DEQ test have come back saying Halfmoon beach is okay it still may be a duathlon?

Would you drink a glass-full of water from the lake even though the DEQ has given the okay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does "official confirmation" that the beach has passed all tests require more than the new status that's been posted on the DEQ website?

----------------------------
http://DoodleBot.com
Last edited by: McKenna: Jun 8, 07 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure I would drink a glass of water from any lake. The point is if the testing says bacteria is to high you cancel the swim. If it says its within limits you go with the swim. Otherwise whats the point in testing anyways?
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess I am spoiled racing out west. These type of questions have never come up for any race I have ever done.

It's pretty easy to find clean water out west when all the free-flowing water sources have been damed for developmental use. Now where was it that the Colorado River empties into again...??? Oh yeah, the Gulf of California, oh no, wait, that was 20 years ago, the Colorado ends in Phoenix, LA, Vegas, SD and Tucson now.

It's near impossible to find "clean" swimming water anywhere anymore, except maybe Pumalin Park in Chile. The Midwest has farm runoff and industrial waste, the oceans have sewage, garbage, medical waste, and everything in between.
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [McKenna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Michigan Races this weekend: Water conditions. [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting you should mention that. I was considering and discussing doing just that yesterday evening.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply