Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer
Quote | Reply
I've had a Kickr for over two years and it has served its purpose in ERG training just okay. I've had way too many inconsistencies and drop outs that I can take. I know I can control the Kickr with my PM but I've had too many drop outs and spikes. So I decided to order a Computrainer.

I'm not one to go backwards in technology since I'm a serious gadget whore and it goes against everything in my being. It feels like I'm going from an iPhone 6 to a Nokia 8110.

I figure I can put up with some wires with the trade off of reliability.

I know the majority here love the Kickr but has anyone here decided to go backwards in technology to the CT?
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me just suggest that if you use 3rd party software such as TR or PerfPro that you do the following: Get an ANT+ HR monitor and Cadence sensor (if only for auto start/pause) and ditch the Polar HR monitor system and wired CT cadence sensor as those tend to be susecptable to dropouts.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:
I've had a Kickr for over two years and it has served its purpose in ERG training just okay. I've had way too many inconsistencies and drop outs that I can take. I know I can control the Kickr with my PM but I've had too many drop outs and spikes. So I decided to order a Computrainer.

I'm not one to go backwards in technology since I'm a serious gadget whore and it goes against everything in my being. It feels like I'm going from an iPhone 6 to a Nokia 8110.

I know the majority here love the Kickr but has anyone here decided to go backwards in technology to the CT?

No. I use my SRM to control the KICKR using Perf Pro. No issues now.

Would not go back to CT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:

I just do not see the CT has backwards in technology. You basically never hear about the kind of stuff you described with you Kickr. Without those being correct, who cares
about fancy sw for window dressing.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: Computrainer user here.

I hate the wires. It's so backward. For many, especially those with a semi-permanent setup, it's a non-issue. I have to remove my bike every time after working out (common living room; no dedicated man-cave). The computrainer head unit just looks so 80's tech.

I wish it were Tacx Neo quiet, that it were direct drive (no tire needed), and as easy to use as the Kickr.

Until then, reliability and repeatability and consistency are key, so Computrainer for me (and that's what I have).

I will also get the wireless computrainer head unit when it comes out. But it seems to get rid of only ONE wire (head unit to computer). Still, if it's priced at the same price as their current head unit, it will finally look like the Computrainer would have moved up a decade in technology: i.e., moving to the early 90s.

My post seems I hate the computrainer. On the contrary, it's great, reliable, dependable... it's just not "cool". Sometimes, especially as MOP, when I bike, I know and admit that it's the new cool stuff that makes me want to bike. After all, I'm no Froome nor Quintana, and no pro -- I'm out to enjoy myself. The computrainer would be so much nicer if it were also cool.

(then again, the other side of the coin: Neo and Kickr are uber cool, but the inconsistency and all the other complaints I hear around the 'net...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:

One of the bike studios in Toronto got rid of all their Kickrs and replaced them with Computrainers for the same reasons.

Once Racermate starts delivering the wireless handlebar controller, they also need to roll out an iPad app to control the load generator. If you can control wattage and calibration through an app, you can just tuck away the handlebar controller. It will work just like a Wahoo Snap, only more consistent and accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine also told me yesterday that his Vortex does not work well with TrainerRoad and in low wattage. High wattage is okay.

He said TR doesn't control resistance, so power is floating all over the place because it won't lock in.

He called TrainerRoad and they said it is a known issue with Kickr and Vortex.

Has anyone heard that before?

So now he is considering refunding the Vortex and get a Computrainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Computrainer user for 6 years. Bought a Kickr to replace it.

Returned the kickr due to build issues and 10-15% power differences to SRMs.

back to the computrainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you selling your kickr?
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But but but DCRainmaker says a computrainer is not worth the money.....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three season Kickr user and it's been 99.5% flawless. I might see a few seconds of dropout once every dozen rides, power is within 5 watts of my P1's, well within the specs. In Erg mode, using the small chainring, it's pretty quite compared to my riding buddies Bushido or another's CT. I've used all the trainers mentioned here but prefer the Kickr best.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
But but but DCRainmaker says a computrainer is not worth the money.....

As a technology/data oriented guy, I love DCRainmakers blog but you have to remember, it's a technology related blog. The computrainer has largely been unchanged in recent years and the Kickr has more modern "features."

I ride a kickr at home or computrainer with my team. I have no issues with either one.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [Tri-Mot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both as well (CT and Kickr). Going into my third winter with the kickr.
They did send me one replacement early on due to inconsistent power readings, but since then, pretty smooth sailing. I do believe it reports elevated numbers compared to my crank PM, but as long as it is consistent, I really don't care.

With the Computrainer, I actually don't mind the wires. What I don't really like is the 10-15 minute warmup needed, the calibration and roller adjustment needed every time, and the rear wheel system. I like that the kickr doesn't use a rear wheel/roller system, and doesn't appear to need a warmup.

But if you truly value consistent data, then I too would probably go with a CT.
Last edited by: gibson00: Dec 9, 15 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:

Have you tried toubleshooting the kickr at all? where is your wifi router and your ant+ dongle? I used to have dropouts with my kickr but then I found out that my wifi router was 2.4 ghz which is similar to ant+ frequency of something like 2.440 ghz. I bought a usb extender on amazon for $10 and now my ant+ dongle sits under my trainer mat by my front wheel. I've had no issues since then.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
I've used both as well (CT and Kickr). Going into my third winter with the kickr.
They did send me one replacement early on due to inconsistent power readings, but since then, pretty smooth sailing. I do believe it reports elevated numbers compared to my crank PM, but as long as it is consistent, I really don't care.

With the Computrainer, I actually don't mind the wires. What I don't really like is the 10-15 minute warmup needed, the calibration and roller adjustment needed every time, and the rear wheel system. I like that the kickr doesn't use a rear wheel/roller system, and doesn't appear to need a warmup.

But if you truly value consistent data, then I too would probably go with a CT.

Kickr should still be calibrated 10-15 minutes into each ride because the belt can expand depending on temperature. Though it is much easier to do on the Kickr than having to continuously get off/on the computrainer to adjust the knob.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have actually tried that in the past, and never really noticed a difference in the roll down values. So I just don't bother! :)
I know I've read on here before that others don't bother with a calibration every time either on their kickrs.
Maybe I'll try it again just to see...
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right. Mine consistently is between 1-2 ticks. I do it just as a "best practice" though. If anything it might be more important to re-calibrate mid-ride on long, long rides where you're not using an external power meter to control the kickr. There used to be talk of the "kickr drift" which was where the kickr would heat up over 2+ hour rides and cause for some easier efforts. I never really followed those discussions though since I use an external PM to control the kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you I'd make sure that you are doing everything properly before you go back in time.

I attended a computrainer class a few years ago and we needed to be there 30 minutes before the class to set our bikes up.
Even with that much time there was usually some people who had not set up by the time the class was scheduled to start.

Bad UI,
Horrible to set up physically
Needs to be calibrated twice (if you want semi-reliable data for your entire ride) - once at the start of the session and one more time 15 minutes in.

If you are not happy with the Kickr I just have no idea how you could even be remotely pleased with the CT.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want old tech? I'm still riding a Schwinn Velodyne for my home trainer (although I do most of my indoor rides at local training center on a Computrainer).

And mine isn't even as nice as the one in the picture....no color screen for me and small knobs to attach bike.

But it serves a purpose, matches my PT reasonably well (except for wattage under ~150 or so) and works. So I keep riding it....tempted occasionally to get a Kicker or Computrainer at home, but just can't justify it.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
So, you selling your kickr?

I'm not selling the Kickr. I'll bring it to my office for easy lunch spins.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
mercuryvapor wrote:

Have you tried toubleshooting the kickr at all? where is your wifi router and your ant+ dongle? I used to have dropouts with my kickr but then I found out that my wifi router was 2.4 ghz which is similar to ant+ frequency of something like 2.440 ghz. I bought a usb extender on amazon for $10 and now my ant+ dongle sits under my trainer mat by my front wheel. I've had no issues since then.

I decided to troubleshoot my Kickr one more time before ordering the CT. I just ordered a USB extender for my ANT+ and a bluetooth 4.0 dongle. I believe my Macbook Pro is not BT 4.0. My router is a dual band router 2.4/5ghz and don't know if I can turn off the 2.4ghz. If it doesn't improve my issues I'll be ordering the CT at that time.
Last edited by: mercuryvapor: Dec 9, 15 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to switch bands on the router. I was getting horrible interference on my Wi-Fi network and I could turn off the 2.4 Ghz band or the 5 Ghz band. Log into the admin side of your router and play with it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub-3-dad wrote:
If you are not happy with the Kickr I just have no idea how you could even be remotely pleased with the CT.

Because the CT gives results close to a calibrated PM. The Kickr is random numbers.

"But use your PM to control the Kickr"
If I wanted to use my PM I'd just get a 200 quid trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub-3-dad wrote:
If I were you I'd make sure that you are doing everything properly before you go back in time.

I attended a computrainer class a few years ago and we needed to be there 30 minutes before the class to set our bikes up.
Even with that much time there was usually some people who had not set up by the time the class was scheduled to start.

Bad UI,
Horrible to set up physically
Needs to be calibrated twice (if you want semi-reliable data for your entire ride) - once at the start of the session and one more time 15 minutes in.

If you do it that way sure, but that's not really the best way to do it. First of all, it is silly to immediately calibrate it because the tire needs to warm up first. This is true of all press on force trainers. You only need to calibrate after the tire warm up, and with a little experience you almost need no calibration (though I always do). I pump tire to 110 psi, spin the rear wheel as I start turning the press-on knob, as soon as I see contact between the wheel and friction roller as indicated by seeing the flywheel move I give the knob 6.5 quarter turns. At this point the press-on force is usually about 2.8 pounds, after warm up it is 2.0-2.1 pounds. Since the default calibration is 2.0, doing the roll-down calibration changes very little. This calibration process (excluding warm up time) takes less than 2 minutes, most of which is pumping up the tire. Also CompuTrainer power with warm-up and calibration is extremely reliable. Would I sell a Kickr to get one?, unlikely, but this is not a complicated issue. I believe the Kickr even recommends a post-warm-up calibration.
Quote Reply
Re: That's it. Current Kickr owner and going to get a Computrainer [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
Disclaimer: Computrainer user here.

I hate the wires. It's so backward. For many, especially those with a semi-permanent setup, it's a non-issue. I have to remove my bike every time after working out (common living room; no dedicated man-cave). The computrainer head unit just looks so 80's tech.

I wish it were Tacx Neo quiet, that it were direct drive (no tire needed), and as easy to use as the Kickr.

Until then, reliability and repeatability and consistency are key, so Computrainer for me (and that's what I have).

I will also get the wireless computrainer head unit when it comes out. But it seems to get rid of only ONE wire (head unit to computer). Still, if it's priced at the same price as their current head unit, it will finally look like the Computrainer would have moved up a decade in technology: i.e., moving to the early 90s.

My post seems I hate the computrainer. On the contrary, it's great, reliable, dependable... it's just not "cool". Sometimes, especially as MOP, when I bike, I know and admit that it's the new cool stuff that makes me want to bike. After all, I'm no Froome nor Quintana, and no pro -- I'm out to enjoy myself. The computrainer would be so much nicer if it were also cool.

(then again, the other side of the coin: Neo and Kickr are uber cool, but the inconsistency and all the other complaints I hear around the 'net...)

Well as soon as your computrainer dies you can get something else.

Ha! Computrainer will never die.

--Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next