Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thanks Dad!
Quote | Reply
Had my first race of the year last weekend, 2nd ever and luckily my Dad was there to help me out.

Coming into transition after the bike I was so concerned with having a quick transition time with my Yankz laces and my water bottle I forgot I still had my bike helmet on. I had ran about 50 yards and had no idea it was still on, luckily my Dad ran over to snag it off me so I didn't wear it the whole run.

Props to LAS for making a helmet so comfy you can run in it and thanks Dad from saving your son from looking like a newb.

Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [tootalltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DQ! No outside assistance! /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
DQ! No outside assistance! /pink

I dropped it on the ground and some random person picked it up ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Memories...I remember my first ever tri, on a crit frame with a wheel cover & toe clips & no aero bars but a foam helmet with lycra cover called a "Mirage" back in '88. Next year I had upgraded to Profile Aero 1 bars & Bell Stratos helmet, and got some white & red Look pedals...not sure of the model. Dad never took my helmet though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. DQ for loitering the course, then!
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK. DQ for loitering the course, then!

loitering or littering? DQ FAIL

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops...
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [Landyachtz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad thing is, there's somebody on this board who really thinks he should be DQ'd because his dad helped him with his helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having your dad at a race....priceless!

Quote | Reply
Yeahhhh...my dad helped me once, too. God bless him, knows nothing about this stuff and decided to show up to a race, as a surprise. INSISTED on helping me with my wetsuit. Somehow he pulled the zipper up past the breakaway point and velcro'd it down so it stayed together, for a while. 3-5 foot swells in the ocean, going to the first bouy against the current, and I'm not a good swimmer. About 300m into the work, BOOM, the wetsuit opens and fills like a water balloon! Worked my ass off to get to that bouy, luckily that turn caught the current and was able to cruise for the rest of the swim. And went on to have a pretty good race despite the chaotic start.

I've never told my dad about that. Don't think I ever will.

I'm sure your dad enjoyed your race as much as you did.

Morph

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Having your dad at a race....priceless!

Man- my dad still comes to my races and I am 27 years old- married- own a home. He is one cool dude.

I hope I can be half the man he was. He was the one who always volunteered to coach, never missed a game, was always supportive, win or lose.

Family first- that is what I took from my old man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad called himself Tenzing after the Sherpa who led Edmund Hillary to the top of Everest. My parents were very involved with my short and lackluster triathlon career, starting at Eagleman when I was 225 lbs. and culminating in my trip to Kona. So here's to them and to dad's everywhere, and my not so subtle drive-by gloat.

Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [JoshBoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Man- my dad still comes to my races and I am 27 years old- married- own a home. He is one cool dude."

38, married, 2 kids, mortgage etc. and my Dad flies cross country to come to some of my races. He seems to be the only one that enjoys watching the races - wife and kids - not so much.....
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [JoshBoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Dad got me into doing tris, now we do races together when we can. I am 38 with two kids as well. Sad part is, if I am not on my game, my Dad will leave me in his dust!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At my first race ever, the Virginia Duathlon 2 years ago, it was so cold that I could not get my helmet off in T2. My mom was on the course and asked to take it, but my hands just could not grip. I was like Jack at the end of Titanic.

So I ran with Louis Garneau that day.....I was incredibly aero.

------
David Roche
Some Work, All Play podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/...ll-play/id1521532868
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Dad! [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Dad always worked a ton when I was in High School so he never made it to my track meets and games so its nice having him come to the triathlons.

He said he was very entertained and enjoyed people watching the huge variety of people that compete. Dudes in custom tri suits with discs and full aero vs the first time off the couch, ride my old mtb crowd hope I can finish crew.

I think I may have talked him into trying one this year as well as my little brother and sister. Hopefully we can make it a family affair.

Quote Reply