Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Texas
Quote | Reply
Right - still looking at places to move to for full-time training.

I have a good contact in Texas for a decent part-time job.

Austin is the obvious triathlon choice - what does it have that other areas don't?

Where is the best place to live in Austin from a Tri perspective - right on the West somewhere?

Are there any dodgy areas? (I am student, hence v. cheap accomodation required - so hope it won't be anywhere like this - budget is $400/month!)

In the Summer, is it unbearably hot? I have looked at the weather, and wonder how you practically cope with training and the heat?

Any comments are very useful,

James
Quote Reply
Re: Texas [james406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The heat is bearable. It can be dangerous, but it is bearable. Austin is a great community for athletes, and cyclists in particular, given Austin's great love for Lance. Motorists are generally more friendly to cyclists than they are in other cities and there seems to be a greater sense of community in Austin, which I consider to be the "small town big city" type of place.

As Austin is a very health concious society, there are a number of restaraunts all over the area that cater to the health crowd. Austin also has some great coffee bars, which I know can an important consideration to the triathlete.

The city has great air quality, even better looking women and is home to the greatest football team on the planet.

Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas [jameshinton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The city has great air quality

I had heard that our air quality wasn't so great due to the number of cars we're getting on the roads these days.

But I haven't noticed. Come for a few days and just drive around town. You'll get a feel for what neighborhoods you do and don't want to live in. I feel comfortable biking to and from just about any point in the city, so no matter where you live, you can usually get in a good long ride straight from your door. It doesn't take that long to get out into the hill country.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better air quality than Dallas(cars), San Antonio(dust) and definitely better than Houston. Fort Worth may be an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas [jameshinton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven't lived in Texas-style weather before, it will be a rude awakening. I've been in Texas for most of my life and the summers still get bad at times. July, August, and September are the worst months with August downright dangerous at times. I've had heat exhaustion a few times and you have to accept the fact your performance will suffer in the heat. My TT power is typically off up to 10% during the heat of the day and my run performance is miserable. I can run 7 minute miles in cool weather. In the middle of the summer I struggle with 9 minute miles.
Quote Reply