Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Texas Multisport Festival - a Review
Quote | Reply
2nd year in Texas for the 4-day, 10+ event multisport festival. In a word, it was awesome. USAT did a phenomenal job with this event. Many, many highs and really, nothing major to complain about at all (except a few TT bikes that made it past the check in to join the Draft Legal races). But anyway…

PROS:
1. For USAT to put on SO many races without hiccups was really remarkable. Open water swims, triathlons, duathlons, Aquabike, draft legal racing, kids races, mixed team relay .. it really was remarkable.

2. The schedule: They published a schedule of events and times and they adhered to it to the minute. Again, remarkable. The races started EXACTLY on time and awards, etc.. also started out on time and Tim Yount REALLY made these move along.

3. Dallas / Los Colinas - A perfect location! Many hotels, many restaurants - and even on Friday/Saturday night getting a table was no issue. Airport was 15 min away, and if you had a hotel nearby no need to rent a car. They are headed to Omaha next year which is a more difficult airport and accommodation is much trickier, but Dallas for 2 years was just awesome. The airport was 15 min away too. So incredibly easy!

4. Race courses - Draft Legal had 100% closed roads and 100% police support with great traffic control. Yes it was flat, but very easy to understand, no confusion on anything either.

CONS:

1. Somehow TT bikes and TT helmets made it into the draft legal racing here and there. Weird as there were firm bike checks getting into transition (timing chip on ankle, helmet buckled just to get in to transition, check brakes, bib number, etc..) Not sure how those bikes made it in but they did.

2. By the final day they ran out of National Championship Jersey men’s sizes medium and large. It’s the first or second national championship event of the season and already they ran out of long-sleeve jerseys. Lots of XXL and Smalls but not the sizes you want.

3. Omaha next year. I know everybody wants a race close to home but at least Dallas was easy to get to and centrally located. Lots of options for housing and the food was great. Omaha has very few direct flights AND the new date is early June. USAT stated that many complaints were about how difficult it is/was for northerners to train for a late April race w the winter but I think that argument doesn’t hold anymore with so many indoor options - Zwift, treadmills, etc.. I mean Oceanside 70.3 is earlier and everyone seems ready for that one.

An early June date is challenging for anyone involved in public education but I do understand how no date is perfect. They said the new date - June 5 6 7 8 is more ‘family friendly’ but I don’t see that as this years date was a traditional school vacation week for many, while early June for sure is not.

All in all, for year #2 is was incredible. Yes the weather was a bit chilly on the final day but it all worked. It really wasn’t THAT bad at all and the races were so short that most people could deal with a hard 20 minute effort in the cold.

Tim Yount is the man and the USAT staff were incredible. The registration process and picking up race packets was as easy and I’ve ever seen it. Near logistical perfection.

Thanks USAT! I can’t imagine flying to a race going forward and only doing one event and then coming home. The concept of 4-5-6 races or more over 4 days is simply so much better and more fun.

And the Mixed Team Relay is the best event in our sport. Tri/Du whatever, it brings out the best times and most fun. Everyone seems to dig deeper and find a new level in the MTR.

Awesome job again USAT! Would love to hear others opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas Multisport Festival - a Review [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An April time frame race will always have complaints about it being “early season”. For races that have DL component to it, it would make sense to have it during a time period when all athletes have ability to ride outdoors and properly train up for it. Z only training likely is a terrible DL prep if we are being honest.

Had an athlete attend and he said it was great experience. I’m a little surprised they moved it out of Dallas. That area seems to put on quality events and it seems that usat kinda wants to find some semi permanent fixtures to keep ‘’mo building.

But with that said every location will have its critics.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Texas Multisport Festival - a Review [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have any observations? I would love to hear some other perspectives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
3. Omaha next year. I know everybody wants a race close to home but at least Dallas was easy to get to and centrally located. Lots of options for housing and the food was great. Omaha has very few direct flights AND the new date is early June. USAT stated that many complaints were about how difficult it is/was for northerners to train for a late April race w the winter but I think that argument doesn’t hold anymore with so many indoor options - Zwift, treadmills, etc.. I mean Oceanside 70.3 is earlier and everyone seems ready for that one.

An early June date is challenging for anyone

Great post. I'm just here to say my first swim this year was 2 days before Oceanside! After that race I decided I won't be doing any until May from here on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random thoughts from some old rando:

I certainly would not want Irving as a permanent home for Multisport Nats in mid-April. Yes, the logistics of Dallas are excellent from a travel standpoint but as a New Englander, it was still in the 30's-40's just a few weeks ago, making it pretty hard to train on the TT bike without wearing a ton of clothes. IMHO, Zwift is not the same as outdoors by any stretch of the imagination.

We were lucky this year in Dallas with the moderate temperatures. The heat blast last year with zero adaptation was certainly challenging for the northern crowd.

Quite frankly, the flat bike course was technically unchallenging as heck versus Tuscaloosa, Greenville (best course ever), Bend and St. Paul. See you on the Omaha rollers!

Good: Organizationally, USATri did a great job with registration, running the races, and by keeping things on schedule. No complaints.

Meh: The expo was a snooze but I guess that is par for the course these days. I wish they would figure out the national champion shirt situation already. This is the second race in the past year where my unusual size (medium) was not available. Disappointing, but not a deal killer.

Bad: Moving up the Saturday awards ceremony by 45 min with 30 min notice meant a lot of us did not get to stand on the poduim for our awards. Tim was happy to be finished with the ceremony early, a bunch of us, not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I raced a combined 8 races over the four days and had great experiences!

I would say the race venue was excellent and relatively easy to navigate. The parking garage was close and once I figured out road closures, driving to and from the venue was not an issue.

A few takeaways from the races:

1. Swim courses seemed to be pretty accurate distances, but a few more sighting buoys would have been nice! Lake Carolyn felt clean and the water temp was great for a wetsuit swim (68-70)

2. The bike course was well marked and there was an abundance of traffic control throughout the course. Every intersection had control. I heard a few athletes on my team say drivers were close when crossing which is not ideal, but luckily I heard of no car-bike accidents and saw no drivers on course.

3. In the DL Tri and DL Du, the mount line led into a tight merge on the two looped bike course. This was a bit messy and clustered. The group of 4 I was in managed to gracefully weave through a handful of athletes who were trying to get started and get feet in shoes.

4. The tight mounting area was modified to be much better for the Standard DU and Aquabike which each had a 3 loop bike course. The courses are quite flat and fast with a few U turns on each lap.

5. In the DL Tri, the run was an out and back with the turn around at the north end of Lake Carolyn. A timing mat was located .1 miles from the turn at the 1.45 mile mark. I found it odd there was nobody at the turn around point and that the timing mat was not at the turn around point.

6. The race starts were all right on time! The detailed weekend schedule was closely followed with the only deviation I saw was awards being moved up an hour with a 30 minute notice. IMO, a bit of a bummer as I was in the middle of ordering food when we received the notification.

7. Mixed Team Relays are a blast and the highlight of the week! It was cold and wet and teams showed up with many spectators on course. The Wetsuit Mandatory was a bit of a question mark since they did not give a lake temp, they just said it was "cold".

Overall, a super fun and draining weekend with many exciting performances. I hope Omaha can give a bit more variation for the bike courses as it would make it more interesting!

Todd Suttor

Working Triathlete Elite Development Team
Professional Triathlete
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

An early June date is challenging for anyone involved in public education but I do understand how no date is perfect. They said the new date - June 5 6 7 8 is more ‘family friendly’ but I don’t see that as this years date was a traditional school vacation week for many, while early June for sure is not.

Interesting. I'm in TN, and not only do we not have any type of vacation week (spring break is in March), but we have state testing last week and this week, which means absolutely no one is allowed off for anything short of an emergency.

Our school year ends before Memorial Day, so June is doable while April is 100% not.

But to your point, yes, can never please everyone.
Last edited by: FeltMafia: Apr 25, 23 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT bikes make it into the ITU age group events, just don't get caught in your TT bars. Bikes are expensive man.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply