Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me how to avoid blackbird attacks!
Quote | Reply
Ok, time to mine the collective ST knowledge base.

I am getting attacked by red-winged blackbirds 3-4 times a ride over the last couple of weeks. I thought it was me, maybe I am wearing the wrong colors... but after searching the forum, I see that it must be their nesting season and that they happen to just be a very aggressive bird.

That said, any ideas on how to fend them off? They actually land on my helmet or dive bomb my back, and one of these times it's gonna either crash me or veer me into oncoming traffic.

I kept a full water bottle on my last ride, and sprayed one that followed me for about a 1/4 mile. Didn't seem to deter him much.

Any ideas? This particular route also features 2 dogs and a bunch of cows... but the birds are my worst enemy. Unfortunately in Central Nebraska farm country, I have two choices of routes and this one has a hill, so changing the route until nesting season is over is basically off the table.

Is there a color one can wear, a sound one can make... or do I just live with it (i'm guessing this is the most likely answer).

Enlighten me. There has to be a resident ornithologist on here ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how to avoid blackbird attacks! [francismacomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their nesting season should be coming to an end. Its a good chance to get in some solid Z4 work...I hate them. They're usually multiple birds all on the telephone wires just waiting for me. The only solution is to haul ass :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benelli says: **PULL!!**

When someone pulls laws out of their @$$, all we end up with are laws that smell like sh!t. -Skippy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Bobke's bazooka would be of help here, if you remember that line from him. . . =D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get one of these and fly/tow it behind your bike. The blackbirds will attack it instead.

http://www.frys.com/product/6204210
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blackbirds are cowards and only attack from the rear. If you make eye contact, they will back off. To stop the attacks, tape fake eyes to the back of your helmet. Plasticized cardboard works great. Problem solved.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how to avoid blackbird attacks! [alex_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Blackbirds are cowards and only attack from the rear. If you make eye contact, they will back off. To stop the attacks, tape fake eyes to the back of your helmet. Plasticized cardboard works great. Problem solved.

Seriously!?

Running is a gift.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how to avoid blackbird attacks! [Jiowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a well documented problem and I have a hard time accepting the fact that so many people have such difficulties using Google.

http://www.chicagonow.com/...d-is-that-a-sin.html

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read that article, but I didn't think of the fake eye's taped to a helmet... I have a hard time believing that would actually work. That said, I'm not above looking stupid to thwart these things.

Have you tried this? If it works, I'm all over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was being attacked by a red-winged blackbird on my runs along a multipurpose path. Every year. At the same tree. At the same time of year. I would tape fake eyes on the back of my running hat. The attacks stopped. I would then chuckle at the other runners being attacked. Now, I simply turn around and make eye contact since I know exactly where/when said attacks take place. Sure enough, there he was, setting up for an attack. As soon as I made eye contact, it would thwart off his dive bomb.

Tried, tested and true.

Feel free to experiment and reply with your conclusions.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was in Australia a couple of years ago, alot of the cyclists had plastic "zap straps" looped through the vents on the top of their helmets with about 3"-6" of the straps sticking straight up in the air (5 or 6 straps per helmet). It looked funny, but apparently it was to ward off bird attacks to the head and it worked....might be something worth trying if they are going for the head?.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just watch the shadow of my head when I go by known nesting sites. If I see one swooping towards my shadow, I just swing one hand up by my head and they get the hint.

L4 work does help in this regard. It is also better to be riding at night, they seem to be less spunky on my commute home than on the way in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
run one time with a tennis racket. do your best Andy Rodick overhand volley. problem solved. ;-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever see that Hichcock film called "The Birds"? It was filmed at Bodega Bay here in Sonoma County. Lots of sea gulls out there that will steal food off your table at the local cafe's but luckily I haven't had one try to gouge my eyes out when I ride through there. Can't really help with blackbirds but just protect your fish and chips if you are enjoying lunch out at Lucas Wharf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DDT insecticide worked on the falcons. Id assume it would have the same effect on the blackbirds.

Just spray some on your helmet, and let them hit you pretty good. Next year you wont have to deal with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your self some surveyor's tape. (Home depot, surveyors store, etc) This is a light plastic ribbon about an inch wide; comes in different colors (pick the one you like best). Cut off two or three pieces about a foot long. Attach one piece at the top front of your helmet (tie, tape, whatever). Attach the other two on the top, rear sides of the helmet. The one at the front actually does the most good as (if its attached properly) it flaps up and back over your helmet; keeps the little buggers from dive bombing the top. The only down side is that when you stop the front ribbon will hang down in your face and may need to be directed by hand when you get going again to be in the proper position. Of course, feel free to experiment with any positioning of the ribbons. The whole point is to have something 'flapping' 6-12 inches above your helmet. At certain speeds the sound may be more irritating than the birds. If this happens to you try shortening or lengthening the ribbons to change the frequency at the speeds you ride at.

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This technique also works for Bengal Tigers FYI

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That reminds me that the magpie season in QLD is about to start...

Good luck boys ;-)
Last edited by: Francois: Jul 13, 10 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only risk of eye contact is taking your eye off the road at speed. I've also heard they're not fond of the color yellow, so a yellow cycling jersey, yellow helmet, yellow running shirt, and yellow cap should be part of your wardrobe.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know exactly what you mean!!! In Iowa they are really bad too, they nest in the ditches and sit on top the power lines waiting for you! I thought about carrying some spray mase and masing those bitches if they got too close!! I have also been hit by 1 and dive bombed a ton of time... had on follow me for a couple miles. The nest was when I was rocketing down this hill the I turn arond the bird had flown up to gain more speed on the dive bomb... comes down and catches me in his bomb about 1.5 feet above the road!!! It was kinda cool to see but I yelled at it and he flew up at the last min and flew away... I fucking hate these birds!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me how to avoid blackbird attacks! [Kaka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Initially, I wondered about colors...but my tires and bar tape are yellow, and my jersey is white with yellow and black in it.

Even if the streamers worked, I don't think that that would be a good fit for me. I am in farm country... a dude in spandex is "weird" enough out here. I don't think I need streamers flying from my head. lol.

I think I do know where to find some DDT.

I'm gonna go for the eyes on the back of the helmet trick. Even if it's a joke and doesn't work at all, the guys I occasionally ride with would get a laugh out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a murder of crows did circle round, First one, then the others flapping blackly down - nick cave

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply