Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me about your switch ... 650c to 700c
Quote | Reply
I race a 650c time trial bike (P3sl) and I'm looking at making the change to a 700c bike. I ride a 51cm bike. I'm 5'6" with a longish torso and shortish legs.

I'd like to hear from some of you who've made the switch from 650 to 700 ... especially those of you who previously rode 650 bikes because that used to be all that would fit.

Thanks in advance.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your switch ... 650c to 700c [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me be the first to say that I want first crack at some of your 650 gear when you trade up :)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're too short to ride 700c. I wouldn't switch.

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your switch ... 650c to 700c [synchronicity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, you go tell paolo bettini that:

Height: 169 cm (5' 6.5") 700c wheels

"Failure is an event, not a person."
Last edited by: chickenlegs: Jan 29, 07 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob:

Our own private Idaho. Yeah make the change. You know you want to. The dark side is calling and it feels good. The minions await you.

Ric
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your switch ... 650c to 700c [chickenlegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*sigh*

Do I really have to explain to you why people who road race use only 700c wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
please do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do post your 650 swag when you make the switch. Many 650 hold-outs (and new converts, in my case) are like buzzards circling over your house right now...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Logistics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I am 5'3" (now, sigh) and rode 700c for 20 years. Then I got a 48 cm P3 and I am much happier with the bike fit. So, I guess you could say I went the other way.

Just exactly what wheels might you be unloading in the not too distant future?

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i understand completely. but the person in question will be fixing their own flats. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got dibs on that HED 3 clincher front!!!

If you switch, what bike is it that is forcing your hand?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
700 see:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly, therefore 650c is no problem... and will fit his body much better than a 700c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just say no! 650c rules! They are faster than 700's! Why do you want to go slower?

Well somebody had to say it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, sure, i just, after riding both, prefer the 700. feels more stable, more area on a disc wheel means a faster wheel, and fewer drivetrain issues.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing the persons measurements you can't really assume based on height they should be riding a bike with 650c, if the rider has a longer torso than fitting based on hieght alone could put them a bike too small so more information is needed.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob,

I recenly made the switch. Very recenlty, actuall. Well, I always rode 700c road bikes ( athough I do have a 650c road bike), but Tri bikes, always 650c. Ever since my first real tri bike when I turned pro backin Brazil.

This season, I will be exclusively on 700c. On the first few rides, although I still obviously in need of a ton of time to get truly used to a brad new bike, I liked the feel. A lot.

It gave me a sense that I am much much higher up, that the wheels are huge underneath me, but my speed is up. S although it feels weird, I am faster.

Hope this helps,

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your switch ... 650c to 700c [Felipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It gave me a sense that I am much much higher up, that the wheels are huge underneath me, but my speed is up. S although it feels weird, I am faster.

That's really interesting. I'm worried about time trialing mostly. Higher up doesn't sound good at all ... but faster certainly does. ;-)

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your switch ... 650c to 700c [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you switch, what bike is it that is forcing your hand?

There's a Planet X out there singing a siren's song to me.

Bob C.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would someone on 700's be higher up?

That just doesn't make sense.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about your switch ... 650c to 700c [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would someone on 700's be higher up?

That just doesn't make sense.

I'm going to assume you didn't do real well in geometry. ;-)

Bob C.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom bracket is the same height above the ground right?

Saddle would be the same height above the bottom bracket right?

Please explain to everyone why a person would be higher on a 700C bike?

The only possible reason is the front end might not be as low but with a neg-degree stem you can get pretty low.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the change from 650c to 700c a few years ago... I always trained on 700c and felt fast, always at the front of group rides, killed it on the hills, felt great overall. I did all of my Ironman races and other triathlons on 650's and was always slower than I thought I would be.. I attributed it to the swim taking a lot out of me but a friend of mine convinced me that it might be the wheels. My Ironman bike time was 6:30 on 650's but after the switch to 700's I now ride between 5:20 and 5:40 on very similar training. I am sure there is more to it than wheel size but to me that amount of improvement is hard to ignore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made the switch this past summer after IMLP. I got a new bike with 700c wheels after riding 650s for 11 years. I am 6ft even though, so most will say that it was about time I switched. I don't notice much difference in the fit of the bike since my old and new bikes are set up pretty much the same in terms of how low and/or steep I'm riding. The 650 wheeled bike would accelerate faster than the 700 but the gearing is quite different since I went with a compact crankset on the new one. The 700c wheels are not as harsh on some of the potholes around my home. The new bike rides and handles well and I hope that I will be faster on it (it is a much more aero frame so that should help). It is also convenient now to have the same replacement tubes and tires for my tri bike and my road bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next