Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about the Memphis In May Mtn. Course
Quote | Reply
So I signed myself up for the two day double at Memphis in May. The site has almost no info on the Mountain bike course. It says beginner friendly, so I am assuming it is not very technical? Could this course be done on a cyclocross bike (I've emailed them to find out if that is even allowed)?

How about the trail run? Can I get away with flats or do I need my trail shoes?

Thanks!
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about the Memphis In May Mtn. Course [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ANYONE done this course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris, haven't done it, but I have heard it's more like a cylocross course. Field type stuff, nothing technical at all.
very little elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about the Memphis In May Mtn. Course [j3ckyl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I did this thing two years ago......it is way more technical than I thought it would be! A bunch of it is back and forth through a field but after you cross the road, it goes through this section that has a wee little path that is kinda on the top of some mounds......not hills, mounds....steep little mounds at that! At the bottom of these mounds are little ponds......and the mounds are covered (or at least were when I did it) with kudzu....then into some basic, easy single track.....the only real bitch was this stream crossing where you had to climb your bike up the other side!

My .02 from 2 years ago.....YMMV,

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also did this race two years ago. Most of the race (all but 2 miles or so) is through fields - there's no trail, just a painted "trail" through grass, up and down hills - hard work!

The singletrack part is pretty technical, but a lot of fun! Yes, you're going through a kudzu field, with quick ups/downs/turns.

You probably could ride this course on a cyclocross bike, but they're not allowed - it's clearly stated in the final race instructions which were recently emailed and are on the website.

The run is all in grassy fields - I wouldn't personally worry about having stout shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about the Memphis In May Mtn. Course [blur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Now I have good hard evidence to show my wife that I need a hardtail mountain bike in addition to the dualie and cyclocross bikes!

The cyclocross thing wasn't on the website until the final instructions went out. Hmm wonder if that was a direct response to my questions?

Looking forward to the race. There are not a whole lot of off-road tris in the Midwest. This sounds like a really tame course, but should still be fun!

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know where you're coming from, but if you're interested in other off-road tris in this area, there's an xterra in Jonesboro Arkansas (I think in August) on a very technical course, and one in Shreveport/Ruston LA (they might have already had that one this year), also on a very technical course. There's also one near Nashville sometime later this year.
Quote Reply