Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tell me about aquajogging
Quote | Reply
Due to my increasingly annoying peroneus tendon injury, I'm now considering aquajogging for the next few months for my running workouts. I have never done it before, so tell me what I need to do. I'm assuming that I find a deepish body of water, and start going through the water like I'm actually running instead of swimming. Is this correct? Is there anything more to the technique of it?

Thanks.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Doug Stern posted his instructions for water running in the last month or two. Pretty straightforward as I recall, but not just jump in and act like you're running, less knee lift or something like that.

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DougStern has posted some very useful info on water running, some pretty recently. You might try a search, or maybe he'll post it all again. I can tell you one thing though, it's boring as hell--bring a radio or a friend to keep you occupied. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's about it. Get yourself an aquajogger belt to keep you bouyant and go to the deep end of the pool. You're basically running in place in the water (although you'll be moving somewhat just from the water you are kicking up).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you begin, take a ball peen hammer and whack yourself in the head a dozen times or so. It not only feels a lot more fun than water running, but it is similar enough that you can save yourself a few laps.

I will turn into a jelly belly before I ever try that again.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.enhancesports.com/...p%20water%20running'

Re: Tell me about aquajogging [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really not that bad......

And if you were THAT bored, you weren't doing it hard enough.

That Stern article is good, but kinda complicated for what is really pretty simple. Mike A. nailed it in his response.

If you have a heart rate monitor, wear it. That'll keep you honest with regard to your effort.

I've found it a great way to maintain fitness throughout a couple of episodes with ITBS and some heel spur issues.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Last edited by: tryemdad: Jun 3, 05 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua jogging is painfully boring. You get a much better workout swimming.
I gave up aqua jogging while injured and just swam and rode the bike. aqua jogging won't make you a better runner. Just go to the pool keep your heart rate up and when you are healthy enough to run start jogging easy.
pistol
www.runpistol.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained for an entire IM marathon aqua jogging. Boring as sin but I finished.

Work on the pull (not the push).
Set up a stereo and enjoy good music.
Instruct family not to come out and stare/make fun of you.

Makes you appreciate outdoor running a whole lot more.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [coloradopete77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Aqua jogging is painfully boring. You get a much better workout swimming.
I gave up aqua jogging while injured and just swam and rode the bike. aqua jogging won't make you a better runner. Just go to the pool keep your heart rate up and when you are healthy enough to run start jogging easy.
pistol
www.runpistol.com[/reply]

You are absolutely correct. I tried aqua jogging and it must have been the most boring thing ever, not to mention that I felt very gay doing it. I also just biked and swam and was quite amazed at how those two improved so much by cutting out running and replacing those workout with bike and swim. I'm now back to running and don't feel quite so bad about going slower knowing that my bike and swim are stronger than ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As i mentioned earlier i think aqua jogging is almost useless. I have spent a fair amount of time injured and doing cross training and swimming and biking were by far the best cross training activities.
While aquajogging i would come back from injury and it would take forever to get fit again.
In 2001 I didn't run a step from october to middle of january all i did was swim, even when i started running at first i was just jogging so swimming was all my cardio activity. I hardly lost any fitness and ran 14:08 for my first 5000 on the track after only really running for less than 8 weeks
Swim, ride don't waste your time paddling around the pool
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You are absolutely correct. I tried aqua jogging and it must have been the most boring thing ever, not to mention that I felt very gay doing it.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in that mode now. I have an Achilles/calf injury, and had spent about a month just focusing on swimming and biking. Then I tried a triathlon two weeks ago and still could not complete the run. So I bought the aquajogger belt out of fear that I might not be able to run for a lot longer than I first thought. I have been "water running" for almost two weeks based on the same workouts I had schedule to run. A two hour run sucked worse than you can imagine. I'm not sure I'm going to stick with this. I also question how much I'm really getting out of it.

As to how to do it, just jump in and you'll quickly get the hang of it(and how to make it harder or easier).

Michael

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boy, i'm one of the few people who has had a positive aquajogging experience. No doubt it's painfully boring, but I just PR'd on the run at my last race and haven't done any real speed work outside. All my running outdoors has been long/slow and my higher intensity work has been in the pool. I'm guessing the speed came from the pool workouts.

I've been using techniques from the following sites:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/aquarun.htm

http://www.calainc.org/...nning%20Part%201.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK Owen, since I have set aside the time and bought the belt, and now I've printed those articles, I'll give it another go.

How do you keep from going stir crazy???

Michael

Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [santa claus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pray that a hot girl start swimming in the next lane.

That and break up your workout into a lot of short intervals. My shortest is 2-4 minutes, and the longest 10-12. I usually go about an hour before I go freaking crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about aquajogging [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the link you gave me has some interval workouts, very similar to normal land based intervals. And I think my form was a little wrong.

As for the girl in the next lane, I've been relegated to the lake for the summer while the local high school pool gets a face lift. I've been forced to creativity with my swim workouts also.

I'm really loving my bicycle right now (more than usual)!

Michael

Quote Reply